1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Entire Network Error

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by jslow, 2004/07/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/19
    jslow

jslow Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Maggie,
    Your suggestion worked for setting the password in Guest Account but I still have the same problem; cannot see Win 98 from Win XP.

When we go to My Network Places, neither computer shows up here.

When we click on Entire Network and Microsoft Windows Network, we get the same error message as before.

Thanks

2. 2004/07/19
    maggie

maggie Inactive

This can happen on 98.
    The user is logged on. Click Start | Log Off <user name> and log back on.
    The Computer Browser service is running on at least one Windows XP computer on the network.
    To find out if the computer browser is working on the XP machine go to Services and look for Computer browser and make sure it is on automatic and started.
    Your ipconfig and the 98 machine winipconfig look good. If you can ping by IP address but not from the name it is usually the netbios over tcp/ip .
    If you have turned ZA back on go to firewall tab and add the IP Range e.g. 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.102 . This will take care of your network.
    You can go to My Network Place and click on Add a Network Place>Choose another network location>next>browse>Click entire network> microsoft windows network>mshome (or the name of your network)>name of your 98 machine>Folder you want to share( it has to be shared on the 98 machine already)
    Remember to reboot and give XP some time to see the 98 machine. It takes longer than 98-XP.Some people say it takes 15 minutes.
    I have XP Pro on my network so don't have that lag.I don't know if you followed the links at the practically networked but here is one http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/19
    goldienite Lifetime Subscription

goldienite Senior Member

As posted before the winXp wizard does work, but you have to give it time to warm up or as maggie said up to 15mins I could give it 30mins

Good luck :cool:

5. 2004/07/19
    jslow

Went to Services and found Computer Browser. It was on Manual.
    Set it on Automatic and tried to Start it and got the following message:

Services
    Could not Start the Computer Browser Service on Local Computer.
    Error 1068: The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start.
    OK

6. 2004/07/20
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Go back to Computer Browser open it and look at the dependencies. One is Server and also Workstation. Both ogf those have to be on Automatic and started. Also check those dependencies to make sure everything is set up properly.
    Sorry I'm only getting part of the email notices,I happened to check your post.
    Edit:
    Here is a link for Services I would stick with looking at the default Services for Home http://cybercoyote.org/software/serv-comp.htm

Last edited: 2004/07/20
  7. 2004/07/20
    jslow

Hi Maggie,

Success finally.

After I went back to Computer Browser and set Dependencies on Automatic per your instructions, I could finally see Win 98 from Win XP.

Thanks for all of your help.

8. 2004/07/20
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Great!! I'm glad you stuck with it. Networking can be frustrating. It is amazing all the things that have to come together.

9. 2004/07/21
    jslow

I would like to express my thanks to all who replied to this post in helping me to solve this problem.

This is a great forum.

Again, many thanks to all.

10. 2004/07/21
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

I've been away for a few days. Glad to see Maggie did such a good job of sorting the problem out.

To pick up on a point mentioned a little while back, you don't have to match the installed protocols on all the computers. As long as the two computers you want to communication between share one common protocol, they will talk to one another. One PC with TCP/IP & NetBUEI, will talk to a PC with TCP/IP & IPX/SPX. They will dynamically work out that they need to use TCP/IP to communicate. The lack in efficiency comes from the fact that they may first try to use their alternatve protocol, fail and then use TCP/IP, and they won't learn from their mistake.

Anyway a pedantic point. I'm glad the problem is solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.