1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Entire Network Error

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by jslow, 2004/07/10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/16
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

I agree 100%. The reason I mentioned IPX was I didn't see it as part of the W98 set.
    But was part of the XP set..
    Don't know if it would make any difference but I've tried stranger things before.

2. 2004/07/16
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/16
    jslow

jslow Inactive Thread Starter

Hi LDTate,
    Thanks for the link but I could not find anything that would solve my problem.

I guess it's time to give up on this lost cause.

5. 2004/07/16
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Uninstall or remove all these in XP
    NetBEUI Protocol (Not Checked)
    NWLink NetBIOS
    NWLINK IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol

Get rid of in 98
    Netbeui

Go to the properties of TCP/IP in both computers and enable netbios over tcp/ip
    Make sure that Client for Microsoft Networking and TCP/IP are bound to Printer and Filesharing on both machines.

Enable the Guest Account (passworded ) on each computer.

Share some folders or drives on each computer

Reboot both of them. Reboot whenever you make a large change in the network. Leave the router settings alone.

You have too many protocols installed. Make it simple. Printer and filesharing on the Network can only be bound to one thing to work successfully. Either bind it to netbeui or TCP/IP. Since you are using a router you don't need Netbeui.
    Maybe some day you will want to play a game or something on your LAN and need IPX but a the moment I don't see a need for it.

To find out what is bound to what, open the network connections folder and on the toolbar is "advanced" on XP. Got to "advanced settings" and look at what is checked.

XP might be a little slow to see the network but once you are networked there are ways to speed that up. 98 will see the network quickly.

6. 2004/07/17
    jslow

Hi Maggie,
    Thanks for the reply.
    We are running Windows XP Home Edition and we don't have access to all areas that you mention.

We have no Bindings tab in the Properties for TCP/IP.

How do you enable guest account on both computers?

When we click on Network Connections and then right click on LAN Connection, the only thing listed under the Advanced tab is the Internet Connection Firewall and that is disabled.

It seems that everytime we read some article on Networking, they refer to tabs, etc. that we do not have on Windows XP Home.

Our computer came installed with Windows XP Home Edition by IBM at the factory, maybe that's the problem.

Thanks.

7. 2004/07/17
    jslow

Hi Maggie,
    One other question.

If I uninstall NWLink-NetBios, there is no other NetBios listed under Properties.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

8. 2004/07/17
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Go to the control panel and open the network connections folder. On the toolbar of the folder is Advanced. The dropdown has "advanced settings." This is where your bindings show.
    Same folder but go to the ethernet connection and right click that and go to TCP/IP and click properties>Advanced >wins>enable netbios over tcp/ip. Leave the LMhosts checked. This is where you enable netbios.
    All you really need are
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and print sharing
    TCP/IP

9. 2004/07/17
    jslow

Hi Maggie,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I found the NetBIOS over TCP/IP setting.

I cannot find the Bindings. If I click on Network Connections, then LAN Connection, I go to Properties.
    The Advanced tab under Properties takes me to the Internet Connection Firewall. That's the only thing listed under the Advanced tab.

Thanks

10. 2004/07/17
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Don't go into the connections the advanced tab is at the top of the network folder. File,Edit,View,Favorites,Tools,Advanced,Help button

I forgot to mention. You can enable the Guest Account in XP home from the User Accounts in Control Panel. I don't know where in 98 but I'm sure there is a user account there also in control panel. Same place you enabled the other account when you installed Client for Microsoft Networking.

Last edited: 2004/07/17
  11. 2004/07/17
    jslow

Hi Maggie,
    I tried all your suggestions and I still cannot see the shared files on Win 98 from Win XP.
    When I click on "My Network Places ", I get the following:
    Add Network Place
    D-Link Router
    Network Setup Wizard
    Entire Network

When I click on Entire Network, I get:
    Microsoft Terminal Services
    Microsoft Windows Network
    Web Client Network

When I click on Microsoft Windows Network, I get the following:
    "Entire Network
    Unable to Browse the Network
    The Network is not present or not Started.
    For More Information, Click Help
    OK Help "
    When I click on Help, nothing happens.

I tried the following from the C:\ Prompt:

C:\>NET START WORKSTATION
    System error 1058 has occurred.

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For some unknown reason I cannot see the Win 98 computer from the Win XP computer.
    I can ping both computers with their IP Addresses and their computer names.

Any firther suggestions?

Thanks

12. 2004/07/17
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Make sure they are both in the same workgroup go to (System folder >computer name, usually is Mshome) and give them different names. Just get your protocols correct. Open My Computer and rightclick a drive and share it. Don't go trying to add anything through the network wizard or Add Network Place. Or the command prompt. Make sure that the bindings are correct.

13. 2004/07/17
    maggie

maggie Inactive

14. 2004/07/18
    goldienite Lifetime Subscription

goldienite Senior Member

Try running the network wizard on the XP Pc, at the end u will be asked some question about making a network disk (make it) goto win98 and run it. You must reboot both Pc. start with xp 1st. Plus give the network time to find it self, say 10mins.

Good Luck :cool:

15. 2004/07/18
    jslow

Hi Goldienite,
    Thanks for the reply.
    We have tried the Network Setup Wizard numerous times in the past and it didn't help us with our problem.

Thanks

16. 2004/07/18
    jslow

Hi Maggie,

We have tried just about everything and we still cannot see our Win 98 computer from our Win XP computer. It seems like there is something blocking our access and we cannot find it.

Don't know what else we can do.

Thanks

17. 2004/07/18
    maggie

maggie Inactive

You can see the 98 machine from XP? Did you enable the Guest Account( passworded) in the XP machine? XPhome is big on rules. Make sure the firewall software and default windows one are off. All you need
    Same Workgroup (e.g. Mshome)
    Different Computer Names (e.g. PC1 and PC2)
    Client for Microsoft Network
    Printer and File Sharing (which is enabled when you install Client for Microsoft Network on the XP machine)
    TCP/IP (with netbios over tcp/ip enabled)
    Guest Account (passworded) at least in the XP machine
    Share some folders in the 98 machine. Xp has shared folders already so you don't have to mess with those until later.

You are letting the router be you DHCP Server still?

18. 2004/07/18
    jslow

Hi Maggie,

I do not have a password assigned to the Guest account in Win XP. When I go to Control Panel, User Accounts, I cannot find a way to assign a password to a Guest Account.

As far as the Router being my DHCP Server, the address for the DHCP server is the Routers address.

Everything else you mentioned I have set up.

Thanks

19. 2004/07/18
    maggie

maggie Inactive

While you are in an administrator account go to User Accounts in control panel Click on the Guest Account and change the password.

20. 2004/07/19
    jslow

Hi Maggie,

I am having the same problem as last night.
    As Computer Administrator, when I turn the Guest Account on, there are only two choices for changes. They are:
    "Change the Picture ", or
    "Turn Off Guest Account "

Thanks

21. 2004/07/19
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Try this , go to the run box and type control userpasswords2 then OK. Highlight the account and reset the password.
    Have you rebooted and tried?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.