1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Emails vanished from my inbox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by godfrey, 2004/03/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/13
    godfrey

godfrey Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Ramona,

It's not quite clear to me. I don't know where to start; it's as if we're starting all over again in terms of folder identification, etc.

When you say open the folder from which you wish to copy mail, are you talking about double-clikcing on My Compuer and going all the way to the folders as I have done before? I have tried it. I have also clicked on the Folders icon on my mail window. But nothing seems to work.

I have tossed out quite a few emails from the OrgInbox containing my old emails which were lost. I now have 492 left. I have also created a sub-folder whose icon is right below the OrgInbox icon. Now, how do I move the emails into this sub-folder from the OrgInbox? Do I have to double-click, right-click or left-click somewhere on this window, the mail window, or do I have to go back and start double-clicking on My Compuiter to get to the right folder(s)? And then what, after that?

I have learnt a lot, so far, but am still learning and have a long way to go. So I need step-by-step instructions to make sure I don't make any mistakes along the way.

Thanks.

Godfrey

Last edited: 2004/04/13
  2. 2004/04/14
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Godfrey,

Did you create the subfolder of OrgInbox, because I said the Inbox shouldn't be used to archive Mail? I was referring to the default Inbox, the newly created Inbox of your altelco-5.net Mail Account. The default Inbox is the one that shouldn't be allowed to grow to a disproportionate size.

Moving messages from one folder to another can be done with Netscape open. Open the Mail window, then follow these steps:

Before any edits, ensure that you have a good backup.

To move mail from one folder to another:

Open the folder from which you wish to copy Mail (OrgInbox)
    In the right pane highlight the messages by pressing the Ctrl+A keys simultaneously (this will copy All the messages)
    Right click the highlighted files
    Click on "Move to "
    Click on "mail.altelco-5.net "
    Click on the subfolder of OrgInbox

The Mail will be moved.

If you don't want to move all the files to the Archive folder, and only wish to move specific mail
    In the right pane click on the first message, which will highlight the message
    Next: press on the Ctrl Key, and do not release the key
    While holding down the Ctrl Key, in the right pane click on the messages you wish to move
    Once the messages are selected, release the Ctrl Key
    Right click on any highlighted message
    Click on "Move to "
    Click on "mail.altelco-5.net "
    Click on the subfolder you created for your Archives

Ramona :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/14
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

It's clear now.

It seems the OrgInbox of my recovered email is my archive for this particular mail. Am I right?

I'm not going to overload the default Inbox. But if it grows to a disproportionate size, I believe I will be able to move the email to an archive folder.

I'm going to test it and will let you know what happens.

You're just wonderful. Before I came to you, I got responses from a number of people in different countries - New Zealand, Germany, Sweden, UK, besides the US - telling me to forget it; my email was gone for good. But I never gave up. I'll always be grateful to you. Always.

And I'm saving all this.

Best regards,

Godfrey

5. 2004/04/14
    Ramona

Godfrey,

It was a pleasure to be able to help you retrieve all your Mail.

Yes, your OrgInbox can be used to archive your Mail. If you have a CD burner I would also suggest either you, or have someone burn your archive folder to CD every few weeks. Another wonderful way to back up.

You might also refer to my Netscape Solutions web site: http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html
    or just click on my signature, which will also take you to the web site.

6. 2004/04/14
    godfrey

Thanks, Ramona.

I would also like to know if, to get more storage capacity, I can delete the following items from the folders: Sent (120MB), Trash (38.3MB), Trash.msf (2.33MB) from mail.altelco.net, and similar ones from the other folders mail.altelco.net(s) 1 - 5.

Or do those numbers mean something else, just for the record, showing that I sent out that much email or had that much trash? If all that space is taken, and I can reclaim it, I would like to toss out all that garbage.

Godfrey

7. 2004/04/14
    Ramona

Hi Godfrey,

You can delete the Mail in those folders, if you no longer have a need. Certainly empty the Trash folder.

Empty Trash by opening the Mail window
    Click on "File "
    Click on "Empty Trash "

To delete the files in the Sent folder
    Open the Mail window
    Highlight the Sent folder in the left pane
    Next: press the Ctrl key and the A key simultaneously (Ctrl+A)
    All the files in the Sent folder will be highlighted
    At the top of the Mail window click on the "Delete" button

When you have completed deleting unwanted messages, then compact your folders.
    Click on "File "
    Click on "Compact Folders "

8. 2004/04/15
    godfrey

Thanks, Ramona.

I'm going to print all this and save it for future reference.

Best regards,

Godfrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.