1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Emails vanished from my inbox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by godfrey, 2004/03/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/04/08
    godfrey

godfrey Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Ramona,

I'm going to do exactly that: copy only godfrey.

As for the other folder, with strange characters in it, it was deleted or replaced when I clicked on "Remove" to create a new profile using the same user name "godfrey" and the same password as you told me to. This is what I have now in the local directory - I copied it and pasted it here:

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\godfrey\pake6hyw.slt\Mail\mail.altelco-5.net

I'm now going to copy the "godfrey" profile and paste it in the new folder and will get back in touch with you for further instructions on exactly what to do next before I mess up.

Thanks.

Godfrey

2. 2004/04/08
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

I was doing great and was almost done when a small window popped up with this message: "Error Copying File or Folder - Cannot copy Sent: The system cannot read from the specified device. "

Yet, earlier, I saw some some copying going on, saying "Sent." So I don't know which "Sent" cannot be copied.

Is there a way to bypass that? Does "Sent" have to to be copied, or just the mail stored in the inbox?

Godfrey

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/04/09
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi godfrey,

That is a Windows error, and I'll have to do some searching to see exactly what causes the error. It could be that your Sent folder is corrupt, but not certain.

Open the Backup folder and compare the size of the Sent folder to the size of the Sent folder in your godfrey folder. Your Mail files are quite large, and as soon as we get them copied to your active Mail Account you will want to compact them. I'll tell you how when we get to that point.

Ramona :D

5. 2004/04/09
    Ramona

Welcome to the Forum pantheon_frost!

Hi pantheon_frost,

The two scripts you mentioned, which you deleted from the prefs.js file:
    user_pref( "timebomb.first_launch_time ", "1067354642947566 ");
    user_pref( "mail.is_a_franklin_user ", true);

I thought you might like to know what what they are.
    The user_pref( "mail.is_a_franklin_user ", true); is a leftover from Netscape 6. It may have been included in 7.0, but I don't recall if it was.
    Netscape 6 Release Notes
    The Address Book Sync feature will work only with the Personal Address Book.

If Netcenter Webmail activation fails, the information required for Address Book Sync functionality may not be inserted into the prefs.js file, and the sync feature will not be enabled. Workaround: add these two lines to the prefs.js file:

user_pref( "mail.is_a_franklin_user ", true);
    user_pref( "mail.absync.firsttime ", true);

Note: The prefs.js file is located in the Users50 directory for Windows or Mac, and in the .mozilla directory on Linux.
    ---

The user_pref( "timebomb.first_launch_time ", "1067354642947566 "); is not included in newer releases of Mozilla, or Firebird. Even though you removed it, it may come back on restart of Netscape. It's also perfectly safe to ignore that the preference exists, as it isn't harmful at all. It's simply a time stamp so Mozilla knows when to prompt you for an update to a newer version (if you have that pref enabled).

6. 2004/04/09
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

In the original mail.altelco.net, "Sent" is 120MB, and none in the backup folder. In fact, there isn't even the "Sent" icon in the latter, only Drafts, Templates and Trash.

Is it possible to copy only the "Inbox" and paste it in the backup folder as a way to circumvent the problem? The Inbox has 74.7MB.

And it seems all this has generated a lot of interest out there. Many people have read what you have written here, giving me the impression that it may be a major problem with a substantial number of Netscape users. I just wish them the best.

Thanks.

Godfrey

7. 2004/04/09
    Ramona

godfrey,

There is really no need to back up the Drafts, Templates and Trash. You can delete those files. Then try copying just the Sent file.

If this doesn't work, then let me know right away, as I was just preparing a reply to you. I think we may have to use another approach, if the above doesn't work.

Ramona

8. 2004/04/09
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

Thank you very much for your response.

Before I go any further, I want this clarified: Do you want me to copy only Sent (120MB), and not Inbox (74.7MB)? Obviously I was under the false impression that Sent meant outgoing, and not incoming, email.

Anyway, I almost finished copying Sent when the same problem came up again: "Cannot copy Sent. The system cannot read from the specified device. "

Another question: Does Sent have anything to do with the email stored in the Inbox and what I'm desperately trying to retrieve?

Best regards,

Godfrey

9. 2004/04/09
    Ramona

godfrey,

I assumed that you already had the Inbox in your backup file, and hoped that after deleting Drafts, Templates and Trash, that you might be able to also copy the Sent folder. However, if you are experiencing the same error, then discontinue the copy and paste. You aren't going to be able to back up this way. You are correct in your assumption that the "Sent" folder contains outgoing mail.

We're going to take a different approach, so now I would like you to delete all the folders/files in your Backup folder. Don't delete the folder, as we will use it later.

We are going to do some renaming of files. This will be a back door approach to giving you a backup of your Profile.

Renaming a file, or folder is very similar to copy and paste, as you did when creating the Backup folder on your C: drive.

Right click the file or folder that you want to rename
    Click on "Rename" from the menu
    You will see the flashing blue rectangle
    There you will type the new name the file or folder

The first folder we will rename is the Mail folder, located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\godfrey\pake6hyw.slt\Mail

Close Netscape and Quick Launch
    Open Windows Explorer
    Right click on the Mail folder in the left pane of Windows Explorer
    Click on "Rename "
    Rename the folder to: OldMail

Open Netscape, and the Mail window
    Highlight your Mail Account, then click on "View Settings for this Account "
    With the Account highlighted, click the "Remove Account" tab
    Close Netscape, then reopen

Next: create a new Mail Account
    This will create a NEW Mail Account folder named altelco.net, just as your original account, but that's O.K., as I know where we're going.

Let me know when this is accomplished, and then we will start moving your lost Mail into the newly created Mail Account.

10. 2004/04/10
    pantheon_frost

pantheon_frost Inactive

jaabaly duu

heh, u mean those are legitimiate code? lol! they sounded bad... a netscape error message did however tell me there was an error on line 165 in prefs.js everytime i started it; and upon deleting line 165(which turned out to be user_pref( "timebomb.first_launch_time ", "1067354642947566 "); ) it began to load normally again. i used to have to register everytime it started and i couldn't log into mail. i don't know how deleting it fixed it but i do have a very corrupt cpu due to an absolutely incredible amount of viruses i get monthly(i download too much .exes/cracks etc.). so corrupt to the point it runs much slower than it should(now it runs like a 400MHz 128MB RAM instead of a 633MHz with 384MB RAM), software doesn't recognize my windows XP as a legitimate copy, and almost every program that wan't to use a web browser says i don't have one installed. lol, don't download warez even if ur broke like me, they are LOADED with stuff. and backdoor trojans let em in to do things to. their favorite thing is to make ur cpu slow, just by a little but so the common user doesn't notice. the perfect amount to make them think their cpu was always that slow. if u ask me that is, becuz two cpus ive had have been this done to. however, programs like tweakXP(the only tweak program that really works) can bring sluggishness up a lil bit. so, what i figure is this: considering the corruptiveness of my system particularly, the corruptiveness of the code of my OS itself, it must have to leak into the functionality of all other programs in some way(performance, errors) and somehow line 165 in prefs.js, although legit, was somehow causing netscape to possibly argue with windowsXP, or maybe with itself to cause the program to not function right. this is all just a theory i have... don't read too much into it. hehe :) :)

11. 2004/04/10
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

Since the original mail.altelco.net - without a digit - is the one which is supposed to contain all my "lost" emails, is this the one I should focus on and ignore the rest? If I simply click on my profile "godfrey," I'm going to end up copying everything, all the other mail.altelco.net(s) with numerical designations (1 - 5) even if they are not that important in terms of mail retrieval.

Or should I copy one item at a time, for example Inbox, etc., and ignore some of them in the original folder to bypass the problem I had earlier when I got this message: "Cannot copy Sent... "?

Godfrey

12. 2004/04/10
    Ramona

godfrey,

Did you read my last post above? Have you renamed your Mail folder to OldMail? Did you create a new Mail account? If so then I will guide you through retrieving all your Mail from each account which contains Mail.

Let me know...

13. 2004/04/10
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

I have read everything. The backdoor approach may be somewhat confusing to me at this stage - may be I'm simply scared, a little.

I have therefore backtracked and followed the previous instructions and have successfully copied the Inbox from mail.altelco.net (the original folder) and pasted it in the backup folder. Is this the only item needed to get back my old email or do I have to try and copy and paste other items in this folder? It seems copying one item at a time - except Sent and others which you say I don't need to copy - might work better. I just don't know which other items I need to copy and paste.

If this doesn't work with the rest of the items which need to be copied, I will try to follow your new instructions although at first I didn't know exactly what to do. I opened Explorer, focusing on drive C, but couldn't locate the folder you wanted me to rename; the only relevant folder I saw in the left pane was the backup folder, a small icon right below the drive C icon.

In terms of navigation through this maze to the right destination, the only route I'm familiar with is what I have always taken before to get to the folders: double click on My Computer, then on drive C, next on Windows---Application Data---Mozilla---Profiles----godfrey---pake6hwy.slt---Mail--- and finally Local Folders including all the 6 mail.altelco.net folders.

Let me know if I should go ahead and try copying the rest of the items, one at a time, from mail.altelco.net in order to circumvent the problem I encountred earlier when I couldn't copy "Sent "; unless you know some other way to get around that.

Godfrey

14. 2004/04/10
    Ramona

godfrey,

If you have successfully copied the Inbox, which is 74.7MB, then just stop there. Let's be satisfied that you have the original Mail Account backed up.

Now, we are going to recover your Mail from the original mail.altelco.net account.

Next:
    Navigate to the Mail folder:
    My Computer, then on drive C, next on Windows---Application Data---Mozilla---Profiles----godfrey---pake6hwy.slt---Mail

In the Mail Folder
    Open the mail.altelco.net Folder
    Right click on the Inbox file with no MSF extention (74.7MB)
    Click on "Rename "
    You will see the flashing blue rectangle
    Type in, or rename Inbox to OrgInbox
    This way you will know this is your original Mail account

Next:
    Right click on the renamed OrgInbox file in the mail.altelco.net folder
    Click on Copy

Right click on the mail.altelco-5.net Mail folder
    Click on Paste
    Paste the OrgInbox file into the mail.altelco-5.net Mail Account Folder

Open Netscape and your Mail Window
    In the left pane you will see the OrgInbox listed under the account name. Open OrgInbox and your "lost" mail will be viewable.

Next, and most important
    With the Mail window still open
    Click on "File" from the left top toolbar
    From the menu click on "Compact Folders "

This will compress your Mail files and should reduce the 74.7 MB size of the OrgInbox. You should Compact your folders frequently, especially since your Mail folders are so large.

If you want to retrieve the Mail from your other accounts, then follow the above procedure for each account.

altelco-1.net Inbox (143KB)
    Rename it to Inbox-1

altelco-3.net Inbox (4.06MB)
    Rename it to Inbox-3

altelco-4.net Inbox
    Rename it to Inbox-4

Once this is accomplished, start Netscape and check to see if you can view the Mail in each one of the renamed folders.

Next:
    Click on File | Compact Folders

15. 2004/04/11
    godfrey

Thanks a lot, Ramona.

I'm going to do exactly that, but proceed very, very cautiously. It seems we're finally there. I'll let you know right away.

Best regards,

Godfrey

16. 2004/04/11
    godfrey

Ramona! You did it!

I got all the emails back. Just terrific.

You have done what my ISP technicians couldn't do and what nobody else has been able to do. I tried others to no avail.

I wish to express my profound gratitude to you for that and will always remember you. And hundreds others who have read this will greatly benefit from your expertise.

Do you accept donations? I am just a simple writer but can donate something as another way of showing my deep gratitude to you for what you have done for me and for others. I have a battle with my publisher, but I still expect to get something soon. My works are on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble and other online sellers. They are also available through other outlets including traditional ones like bookstores. In fact, most of the emails I have been trying to recover have to do with my writing career.

I'm waiting to hear from you in this forum or you can write me directly.

Best regards,

Godfrey

Last edited: 2004/04/11
  17. 2004/04/12
    Ramona

My Dear Godfrey,

This is my payment:
    I'm so glad that you have everything in order. What you want to do now is keep those folders compacted: File | Compact and make frequent backups of your Profiles folder.

I should also caution you that the Inbox is not intended for archiving mail, and if you allow the Inbox to grow to the disproportionate size it is now, you are asking for trouble. What you will want to do is to create an Archive Folder in your Mail Account: File | New | Folder

As your Inbox grows, move Mail to the Archive folder. End of lecture. ;)

Happy browsing,

18. 2004/04/12
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

I really appreciate that. You have done such a wonderful job. And I'll remember everything you have said.

One more question: Can I delete Sent, 120MB in the original mail.altelco.net, and 4.06MB in mail.altelco-2.net, to get more storage space?

Godfrey

19. 2004/04/12
    godfrey

Hi Ramona,

I just created an archive folder - it says sub-folder - for my old email in the renamed OrgInbox. How do I move the mail into this folder?

Godfrey

20. 2004/04/12
    Ramona

Hi godfrey,

If you don't want the outgoing email, you can delete it, but are you sure you don't want those emails?

You can delete the entire mail.altelco-2.net folder, as you listed it showing no email contained in that account.

mail.altelco-2.net: Drafts (0 bytes); Inbox (0 bytes); Sent (0 bytes); templates (0 bytes); Trash (0 bytes).

You did say that mail.altelco-3.net contained this:
    mail.altelco-3.net: Inbox (4.06MB);

If you're certain that you have all Mail that you want, then you can delete that folder.

Whatever you do, always make sure that you backup frequently. What happened to you is a bug in Netscape, and it may very well happen again. If it should recur, all you will need to do is copy the backup of your prefs.js file to the existing Profile.

21. 2004/04/12
    Ramona

godfrey,

To move mail from one folder to another:

Before any edits, ensure that you have a good backup.

Open the folder from which you wish to copy Mail
    In the right pane highlight the messages by pressing the Ctrl+A keys simultaneously (this will copy All the messages)
    Right click the highlighted files
    Click on "Move to "
    Click on "mail.altelco-5.net "
    Click on the subfolder you created for your Archives

The Mail will be moved.

If you don't want to move all the files to the Archive folder, and only wish to move specific mail
    In the right pane click on the first message, which will highlight the message
    Next: press on the Ctrl Key, and do not release the key
    While holding down the Ctrl Key, in the right pane click on the messages you wish to move
    Once the messages are selected, release the Ctrl Key
    Right click on any highlighted message
    Click on "Move to "
    Click on "mail.altelco-5.net "
    Click on the subfolder you created for your Archives

Ask away if this isn't perfectly clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.