1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

E-mails? what E-mails?

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by BobbyScot, 2016/11/03.

1. 2016/11/03
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Being a customer of Virginmedia, required to contact them Tuesday 1:11:2016 reporting the fault. I was not receiving E-mails. I was informed that the fault was being worked on and hoped to be rectified by 4pm. Today 3:11, fault still persists and now will be rectified tomorrow 4:11 4pm. I strongly complained in my paying for a service not available, but immediately told that E-mail service was a free service and that I only paid for the Broadband service. I said how can you receive Emails on Verginmedia without paying for Broadband, a blank response from the operator or was it a Robot?

2. 2016/11/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You can receive emails when logged onto any provider, but can only send when logged onto your ISP (Virgin Media) unless you use an internet based service such as Gmail.

To clarify when I am in the States or Iceland I can receive emails from my provider TalkTalk when logged onto the motel/hotel WiFi, but I can only send through a web based service such as TalkTalk webmail or Gmail.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

A work around to what Pete posted... For example, I have my home Time Warner email setup on a second pc at my office that is on a different ISP... I use the SMTP settings for the office ISP account on the home account and all is well.

5. 2016/11/03
    BobbyScot

My topic was meant to show Virginmedia pointed out that E-mails service was "Free" and this meant that I had no come back for not being able to send or receive E-mails. The service appears to be running again this evening.

6. 2016/11/03
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That was support's "polite" way of saying "Listen, I got 350 like calls from our customers today and level 3 tells me that they are working on the email problem and I am tired of having to answer questions about our broken email service and just be happy that you still have Internet connectivity and be happy that I restrained myself from using vulgar language! "

virginia likes this.
  7. 2016/11/04
    BobbyScot

Tony, spot on, that I s exactly what Virginmedia is thinking but afraid to say so.