1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Duplicate e-mails mystery

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by BOBBO, 2015/10/26.

1. 2015/10/26
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

I use SeaMonkey as both my browser and my e-mail client, and I keep it up to date. From time to time I'd get 2 identical copies of an e-mail message -- same exact message, arriving at the same date and time. Once or twice I got larger duplications, in the 6-12 range. The other day I got a message that was duplicated 152 times (!). They came with an attachment, the same one, and again the date-time stamp showed the same date and time. Deleting all of them took some time, in batches of a dozen at a time.

What's also interesting is that there are 4 computers involved -- the sender's, my wife's, my desktop, and a small tablet we keep in our kitchen that's on a wi-fi set-up in our home. My wife's computer got only one copy of that message, my desktop got only one copy, but that tablet is the one that got the 152 copies. My wife's and my desktop use Windows 7 as the OS, while the tablet uses Windows 10. All 3 machines use SeaMonkey as the e-mail client.

Does anyone else here ever experience duplicated e-mails? Any idea what causes it to happen?

2. 2015/10/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/26
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The site your link led to did indeed apply to my situation, and I learned 2 things from it:

1. I'm not the only person in the world experiencing duplicated e-mails.
    2. Most of the solutions to the problem are more trouble than the problem is.

Since I get these duplications so infrequently, I can live with them. They don't do any real harm, and I was mostly just intrigued by the development. So the mystery is now cleared up, and I thank you for that.

:)

5. 2015/10/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're Welcome ;) Neil.