1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Drive Image 7.0 Inoperative after SP3 Update

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by srl746, 2008/08/28.

1. 2008/08/28
    srl746

srl746 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have been running Power Quest Drive Image 7.0 for years, but it no longer works after installing SP3 on Windows XP/ Pro. I have rechecked for additional critical updates, and down loaded the only one there, although it did not seem a likely fix. To prove that it was the SP3 update that caused the problem, I restored the drive back to the level it was at (which was *very* current, SP2), and Drive Image functioned as normal. I then re-installed SP3, and again Drive Image hangs in the early "Create Volume Image" phase.

Since Power Quest is now part of Symantec, and Drive Image has been displaced by Ghost, I am assuming my options are to live with SP2 + fixes, or go to Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Does anyone have any additional thoughts?

Thanks.

2. 2008/08/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

What happens/doesn't happen when you used it with SP3?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/29
    srl746

Drive Image "Stalls" at "Creating Backup Image File" message.

The Drive Image application initializes normally. I make my selections for which drive(s) to back up, and where the destination folder for the image files will reside. I use the Drive Backup Wizard for this. I select the options to "Verify backup image after creation ", and "Divide the backup image into smaller files to simplify archiving ". I also select "Advanced..." and select "Use Password ". These are options that I have used literally for years. The "Drive Backup Wizard" is then set to go, and selecting "Next" starts the back up process. Normally, there are several quick messages that indicate the status of the operation. The first is "Waiting..." (usually lasts less than a second), the second is "Initializing..." (also very quick), then there is a third message that happens so quickly that some times I do not see it at all, it is just a "flash ". Next comes the "Creating Backup Image File" message, which generally stays on the screen about one second, followed by (normally) the "Copying Volume Data" message. The application "stalls" (that is to say, never gets past) the "Creating Backup Image File" message.

Since I have a great level of confidence in Drive Image and its ability to put me back where "I was ", I restored the previous version of the partition's image, and repeated the test. To make sure that Drive Image was functioning correctly, I backed up the OS partition before re-trying the SP3 Update. The backup was successful. I then tried the install of SP3 again, very carefully making sure that the only variable was the SP3 update. I repeated this test twice. The problem manifested it self each time after the SP3 update.

Thanks.

Last edited: 2008/08/29
  5. 2008/08/29
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Always try the easy things first. Uninstall and re-install Drive image AFTER doing SP-3. For many users, SP-3 represents a major change in the operating system. Perhaps some softwares can't tolerate that and will need to be installed under the new constraints.

6. 2008/08/29
    srl746

Re-Installing Drive Image 7.0 not a solution for SP3 problem

OK, to test this accurately, I restored the OS partition, un-installed Drive Image 7.0, re-booted, installed SP3, rebooted, re-installed Drive Image 7.0, re-booted, and retested. The result is the same. Process hangs at "Creating Virtual Volume Image ", which I think is the step that happens so fast (normally) that I do not see the message.

Back to drawing board for me on this one. Fortunately, this is currently a spare machine.