1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Download the beta of Microsoft anti-spyware software

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by BenMcDonald[MS], 2005/01/06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/13
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Ok I got it to toggle on/off - took a few times.

So I don't have the problem of not being able to change the real time protect status.

The page I'm showing is the page that comes up if clicking on the items in the Summary page.

Clicking on each item activates them and then is reflected in the NA portion (gcasDtServ.exe) as enabled.

And disabled them the same way.

I originally disabled real time protect in the setup and had to disable it again in gcasDtServ.exe, that may have caused some problems.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/01/13
  2. 2005/01/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I do not know for sure who or what is to blame but this ( right now ) is the first time today that I have been on this site that it did not take at least 20 seconds ( or more ) to load a page.

Every day for the past few days the Internet in general has left A LOT to be desired from app 7:30 AM until about 2:30-3:00 PM. Even before testing MS AntiSpyware

BillyBob

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/13
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Charles,
    thanks for the update!

I too had trouble reenabling Real-time Protection the first time but I didn't understand what happened and where. I have now realized that the settings for the security agents aren't affected by disabling RP from the icon in the NA. The latter is only a temporary measure which, on my system at least, will be set back to enabled if the main window is opened.

BillyBob,
    at certain times, when both Europe and North America are awake and busy, connecting to sites on Your side of the pond can take "for ever" but it is usually the same for all sites. Right now, it is only this site and Europe isn't very busy at this time (one hour past midnight). My connection is at 10 Mb/s and is usually not the bottle neck.

Christer

Edited:

Ten minutes after I posted my comments to BillyBob, this site suddenly loads the pages much quicker ...... :confused: ...... !

Last edited: 2005/01/14
  5. 2005/01/13
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

And a few minutes after I read it this site is loaded before I get my finger off of the button.

And I submit a reply and ZIP it is GONE outa here.

I think you will know what I mean.

BillyBob

6. 2005/01/14
    Christer

Has anyone had the cookies scanned, ever? My report always state 0 cookies scanned, 0 infected (or words to that effect) but subsequent scans by Ad-aware and Spybot find tracking cookies. Maybe tracking cookies aren't targeted by MSAS but it should scan the cookies ...... :confused: ...... right?

Is this something to report?

Ben, is this the spot You refer to?

Christer

7. 2005/01/19
    charlesvar

Hi Christer,

I deliberately allowed tracking cookies such as doubleclick, atdmt.com, fast.click.net and a bunch of other "the usual suspects ". Nary a peep out of MS AS. So either there is an option to turn on, which I can't find, or the beta simply doesn't scan for tracking cookies.

Regards - Charles

8. 2005/01/19
    Christer

Hi Charles!

Neither have I found where it can be turned on, if possible. We'll have to wait for Beta 2 or the RTM to find out.
    I won't bother posting on the support newsgroups, they probably already know.

Christer

9. 2005/01/19
    BenMcDonald[MS]

BenMcDonald[MS] Inactive Thread Starter

"tracking cookies" are on the radar. It is well understood that a lot of customers are concerned with thier existance and want the tool to help manage them

10. 2005/01/19
    James

James Inactive

For me it's totally irrelevant. I dumped it after the first week, having run it every day and never coming up with anything. As I've mentioned before, if you run a decent browser (i.e. Firefox, Opera) and take reasonable precautions regarding the sites you visit, then there's no need for all of this. Besides, it's just one more in a long list of programs begging for system resources. My system is clean and it's been clean for months now. In fact... ever since I dumped IE there's not been a single problem.

11. 2005/01/19
    charlesvar

Ok Ben, thanks for the confirmation.

Regards - Charles

12. 2005/01/25
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member

MS Anti-Spyware

Call me foolish, or maybe just wanting to test all the new stuff. I downloaded and installed the software the day I found out about it. It found a number of things right off. I run it daily and have been clean - so far. I also run SpyBOT and AdAware frequently, along with SP2 firewall turned on and a good anti-virus program. It's like wearing 5 condums, but I feel pretty protected. As for e-mail, we use Lotus Notes at work - let's me view an e-mail attachment without opening it. We also have the anti-virus software on the mail servers, so that helps, too.
    I did not experience any change in my IE home page when I installed the anti-spyware. I use a 'blank' home page with lots of links, and it stayed that way.
    I did notice today that I got a 'xxx days' left on the software, so maybe MS will be charging in the future. I personally feel that if they can keep/make the product strong and viable, they have no need to charge for it, especially with all the money they have already.

13. 2005/01/25
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Pssst.... don't tell that to their shareholders :D

14. 2005/02/10
    loonychoons Lifetime Subscription

loonychoons Inactive

Beta or Beta1

Is it me or are persons just forgetting the # 1 after beta. I am running Microsoft Antispyware Beta1 ? Or are there two versions Beta And Beta1? The Question is BETA OR BETA ONE but as the numeral (1) not Betal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.