1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Does Edge Work Better than FireFox in Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by DPI Graphics, 2015/11/22.

1. 2015/11/22
    DPI Graphics

DPI Graphics Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Are there any advantages in using Edge over FF in Win 10?
    I know that Win 10 wants Edge but is there any need in using it over FF/Navigator?
    & is Edge the same as IE?

2. 2015/11/22
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Have been using only FF on Win 10. Haven't used Edge at all.

Edge & IE are different beasts altogether.

DPI Graphics likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/22
    DPI Graphics

Thanks,

I might try Edge to see how it works once I can figure how to set my home page & then figure out how to get back to it!:eek:

5. 2015/11/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2015/11/23
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There are too many definitions for "better ".

Some consider speed to be the most important. Others put security. Some put add-on support, others put ease of use.

As for reviews, if you pick a browser, no doubt you can find a review that puts it first.

So, you just have to try different ones and see which you like best.

I use IE11 with W10 and have it set to my default because I like IE best. But I have Chrome, Pale Moon and Firefox installed, and of course, Edge too. If something does not look right in IE, I will fire up Chrome or the others to see if it is the site or IE (it typically is the site).

The major downside for Edge is it's lack of add-on support (supposedly to be remedied in the near future). It is very fast, however.

Bill,
    Steve R Jones likes this.
  7. 2015/11/23
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

When I tried Edge, I couldn't find an e-mail reader in it anyplace, so I'm using Chrome. I'll probably kill off Edge and restart IE11 as my alternate browser to Chrome.

8. 2015/11/23
    Bill

I don't know why you would expect to find an email reader in Edge. There isn't one in IE, FF. And there isn't one in Chrome for that matter.

Bill,
  9. 2015/11/24
    DPI Graphics

I would like to try Edge but I can't get started. I have a home page defined, I guess, because it comes up in a tab when I start up edge but, it doesn't start there. It starts on a page that asks where do i want to go to & my home page in another tab. Also I can't seem to find anything that looks like a home page icon. If it's that hard for me, how am I going to help my customers to get started?

10. 2015/11/24
    Bill

What you need to set your your home page is to click on More (the 3 dots near the upper right) and then Settings.

Click to select the "Open with" option; "A specific page or pages." Make sure "Custom" is set in the next box.

Then enter your desired home page in the "Enter a web address" text box and click the Plus sign. That should do it.

Then scroll down in that same Settings panel and click on "View advanced settings ". There you will see how to enable the home button and other options.

Like all things that are new, it takes a little getting used to. But once familiar with it, it will seem totally natural.

Last edited: 2015/11/24
    Bill,
  11. 2015/11/24
    DPI Graphics

Well I'm getting there. I now have a home symbol as well as a home page. Now if I could get it to go to my home page when I start it up,l I could go on to little things like my favorites etc.

12. 2015/11/24
    Bill

Did you follow the Open with instructions I posted above?

13. 2015/11/24
    DPI Graphics

Is there a "start" page in settings somewhere?
    It now starts with a where to? page & my home page in another tab.
    I followed your instructions to a tee Mr. Bill & this tab keeps on showing up fiirst when I start Edge.
    Once I go to another web site, I can get back to my home page.

14. 2015/11/24
    Bill

Yes. It is the "Open with" setting I showed above. I don't understand why you are starting with the "Where to?" page. But going back to the More ... > Settings > View advanced settings, under the slider to enable "Show the home button ", enter the url of your home page and click Save and see if that fixes things.

Note I use IE as my default so I am learning as we go here too.

15. 2015/11/24
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

There are e-mail account access capabilities in both IE11 and Chrome, which I used daily. Edge didn't show any capability, which is why I canned it. Unfortunately, I can't find a way to re-activate IE11. I liked to be able to switch between e-mail accounts with a single click.

16. 2015/11/24
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Frank, Start > Settings > System > Default Apps > Click on Browser and select the one you want. Neil.

17. 2015/11/25
    DPI Graphics

Well herer is where I am now. When I start up Edge, I get the "where to" page. I click on the home page icon & I'm all set. Stupid but it works. Now I'm off to get my favorite/book marks over here. It looks like i'ii have to move them to IE then over to edge. wish me luck.

18. 2015/11/25
    Bill

Sorry, but you are confused because neither IE or Chrome include email account access capabilities. They just don't. You can, of course, call up your webmail account with any browser. And you can configure "Windows" to use a particular email program when you click on an email link. But that is totally independent of the browser you chose.

IE11 is my primary browser too (and has been since IE6). And Chrome has been my secondary browser since it came out. Neither include email features. If you still insist they do, then please show where in Settings for both IE in Chrome you setup your email accounts. Please note in IE, you can set your default email program, but that is telling Windows what program to use when clicking on an email address, not IE.

And with Chrome, if you are using a gmail account, you can tell Google to use "One account. All of Google ". But that is not an email function in Chrome and only works with gmail accounts. And it even works in IE and other browsers if you have Google set as your home page and use a gmail account (as I do).

Then you need to be more specific about your account providers and the email programs (or websites) you use because again, IE, Chrome, Edge, FF are all browsers, not email clients.

19. 2015/11/25
    DPI Graphics

I use FF as my default but the few clients that I kept on after my retirement, expect me to KNOW everything about EVERYTHING so I figure I had better learn SOMETHING about Edge & it's different from all the rest.:confused::confused:

20. 2015/11/25
    Bill

I am in the exact same situation so I hear you. In fact, that is why I stay active on these forums so I can stay current in the technologies. I don't like being wrong so helping users forces me to do the research to make sure what I know still applies, and if not, how it has changed.

And yes, Edge is different from the rest, but then all the rest are different from each other too. But a browser is still a browser and they all perform the exact same primary function - display webpages. It is just learning the idiosyncrasies of each that makes it challenging.

FF, BTW, does not have an email client built in either. That's why Mozilla makes Thunderbird.