1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved "Do you want to allow the following program?"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lugwalker, 2011/03/04.

1. 2011/03/04
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

I've recently purchased a new laptop with Windows7 (64-bit) Home Premium installed. I'm very pleased with Win7, but one thing in particular is annoying me. For example, I have CCleaner set to run on startup but find that I get a message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" when it attempts to do so. No option to 'allow this program always'. I've been searching around for a solution but have not found one which does the job satisfactorily. Some say turn UAC off entirely but I'm reluctant to do that.

Today I went into the CCleaner's .exe's 'Compatibility Mode' and checked 'Run as Administrator'. Interestingly enough, afterwards CCleaner seemed to run at startup as a result, but when I attempt to run it manually from the desktop icon I am again asked for my permission.

Does anyone have any experience of stopping these requests for permission?

Thank you. :)

2. 2011/03/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

They are there for your protection - to avoid them you will have to turn off UAC which is not to be advised.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/03/04

I would have thought that the option to 'Always allow this program' should be with the pop-up. CCleaner and many other safe and familiar programs shouldn't need permission every time they run - or should they? :confused:

5. 2011/03/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

lj50 likes this.
  6. 2011/03/04

This seems like an excellent way around the problem. Thank you. However, it says:

This technique works only if your account is already a member of the Administrators group. If you’ve set yourself up with a Standard account, you can’t use this trick.

How might I know if my account is a member of the Administrators group, and if it's not how do I become one?

I successfully created the scheduled task and when I clicked on the shortcut it flashed for a moment but didn't open CCleaner. I mustn't be a member of the Administrators group.

Last edited: 2011/03/04
  7. 2011/03/04
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Control Panel > User Accounts.

I'd be surprised if you are not an Admin.

8. 2011/03/04

You're correct. I am the Administrator.

Is a reboot required before that scheduled task is effective?

9. 2011/03/04

I did the following:
    Opened Task Scheduler
    Actions>Create Task (not Basic)
    Give task name & description
    Run only when user is logged on
    Run with highest privileges
    Action>new>browse to program .exe
    Conditions: untick all
    Settings: Allow task to run on demand. Untick others,
    Create shortcut to command: schtasks/run /tn "task_name "

I clicked on the shortcut created. A box flashed for a moment, supposedly opening the program ....but it didn't. I clicked on the normal desktop shortcut and the "Would you like to..." popup appeared.

So, back to the drawing board. :)

10. 2011/03/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I have done this for a program that monitories my RAID status.

1. Type Task Scheduler in the Start search box and press [Enter]
    2. Click Create Task in the right panel
    3. Type a name for the task (name it after your application) and click the check-box Run with highest privileges
    4. Select the Actions tab and click the New button
    5. Browse to the program in the Program/script box by clicking the Browse... button. Click OK (2x)
    6. Close Task Scheduler
    7. On your desktop, right click, choose New > Shortcut
    8. In the location box type: schtasks.exe /run /tn TaskName where TaskName is the name of task you created at #3 and click Next
    9. Type a name for the shortcut and click Finish

Now, you can double click the shortcut to run the program without UAC prompt.

If you want to have a certain program run automatically at startup, copy the shortcut you created to \Users \ {User Name} \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu \ Programs \ Startup

Arie,
  11. 2011/03/05

Thank you. I followed the instructions precisely. The program I was tasking was CCleaner and I chose ccleaner64.exe - my system is 64-bit - in the CCleaner program folder. There was a ccleaner.exe there too.

I then clicked on the shortcut created. A box flashed for a moment, supposedly opening the program ....but it didn't. I clicked on the normal desktop shortcut and the "Do you want to allow..." popup appeared.

Back to the blackboard. :)

12. 2011/03/06

Good news! I installed this handy utlity which allowed me to open any specific program without being bothered by UAC messages asking for permission. To a list just add the link to a program's .exe and the job's done.

By the way, this link is for UAC Trust version 2.0 (not yet available) but you can download version 1.0 below the bottom of this article. It works! :)

http://www.itknowledge24.com/

Last edited: 2011/03/06
  13. 2011/03/13

I've been using the UAC Trust version 1 mentioned above and have just uninstalled it due to unreliability.