1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Do You Like the Windows 8 UI Design?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2013/01/25.

?

Do You Like the Windows 8 UI Design?

Poll closed 2013/03/30.
  1. Yes

12.8%
  2. It's OK

21.3%
  3. No

66.0%
  1. 2013/03/02
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ...

[FONT= "Microsoft Sans Serif"]Okay, Muddy, I cannot agree more!

What did you do to go back to Win 7? If I thought there was a way, without having to reformat and start from scratch, I'd do it in a NY minute.

The problem is not installing Win 7, it's installing all the other apps I use, Office 2010 Pro, and so much more.

My guess-timate is that it would probably take the better part of a week, just to get back to a solid Win 7. I almost want to go back to XP and I agree that Vista was a mess.

There's a rumor - and only a rumor - that Microsoft is coming out with Windows 9 in August, and may call it Windows Blue. Just a rumor, but it came from an independent software publisher, so I give it a little bit of possibility.

Cheers!
    -a.[/FONT]

2. 2013/04/10
    muddyfox

muddyfox Well-Known Member

Back to Windows 7

No it didn't take long at all - half a day at most. If I'd mastered images it would have been quicker. I do use Clonezilla occasionally to make a backup and have successfully restored from it a few times now.

I didn't Sysprep yet was able to deploy the image on a different PC - all that happened then when I rejoined it to the domain was I had to activate Windows and Office again. Leaves me wondering if Sysprep is necessary?

I'm running a Server 2008 R2 environment but my server experience is fairly limited but I understand that I could use WDS from it to save and deploy images. Any pointers on what I'd need to do would be much welcomed.

AlexH likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/04/10
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ...

[FONT= "Verdana"]Hi.

Since my last post on 3/2, I have run into a very strange thing. I admit that my eMachines PC is limited, at best. I tried to add in two cards. One, a USB 3.0 two-port card, with that strange little card edge connector, and the other a USB 2.0 4-port card, with a normal PCI card edge connector.

This strange box had a flimsy metal framework on the inside, where the cards should be added. It also had the card inserts which required bending them to break a small nib, keeping them closed so that I would be able to put a card in. (I know, it's hard to describe, and I am sorry.)

I ended up taking the frame out, before breaking the nibs, to enable openings for the add-on cards. Neither worked, and I was unable to actually boot up the system, until I removed both.

When I got the system back up, I was unable to get on the Internet, or local peer network! I finally got reconnected using a USB-based WiFi from D-Link.

The RJ-45 connection - on the m-board itself - still will not allow me to connect and System Restore doesn't indicate anything since 4/6; this happened yesterday 4/9, so nothing updated had any effect.

And yes, I am going to try and post this in a hardware forum, too.

Just ... Win 8 on my system has been one disappointment after another.

And, BTW, I wish I had a cogent answer for you about the need for Sysprep, and your situation. Truly, I'd like to be able to offer advice, as the folks here have been very helpful to me.

And so it goes.

Cheers!

-a.[/FONT]