1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Disabling windows messenger in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by mikenowo, 2004/01/15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/02/04
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Well, as You say, it´s a theory but it´s the only reason I can think of.

I haven´t used any other AntiVirus program and I can only wonder if AVG behaves in the same way?

Any takers on that question?

Christer

2. 2004/02/04
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I took time to read this thread and had to respond. It seems to me that those of you that are trying to kill Messenger are stalking the wrong beast. You've all just given me one more reason to stick with Etrust and never go back to Norton. I, like Christer, don't use Messenger very often but I like to have it handy for the occasional chat with a family member or friend but it would drive me nuts if I had to go through all this to figure out how to keep it from starting on it's own. I have both Messenger and MSN Messenger. MSN Messenger isn't something that comes with XP. It's more or less an upgrade to Messenger, though not in the true sense as it does not remove the old Messenger as an upgrade normally would.
    One of the very first things I did after installing XP was to disable Messenger from starting automatically. The same when I installed MSN Messenger. Neither of them have ever given me an ounce of trouble. Unchecking the proper boxes has done the job. If it were me I'd disable the Norton integration and continue to sleep well at night (knowing I don't have to fight with Norton). :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/02/04
    Christer

Hi Zander!

Even though I "hi-jacked" this thread from mikenowo I think that some of us, possibly including him, are satisified with the joint effort to find the cause of the problem. A lot of people have contributed and the only one who should feel sorry is Symantec.

I have never had a reason to complain about Symantecs products and have never experienced any slow-down of my system so I really didn´t understand everyone who were barking up that tree.

Now I have developed a slightly higher understanding ...... ;) ...... !

I will start a new thread, in Security / Virus / Spyware, making a survey of AntiVirus Software, hoping that people who use the different brands chime in with a response.

One question though:

I have MSN Explorer installed but I have never created an account (or whatever it's called) to use it. Isn´t MSN Messenger "integrated" in MSN Explorer?

If that's the case, then it comes with XP.

Christer ...... :confused: ......

5. 2004/02/04
    Zander

I don't think so but I don't know for sure because I uninstalled MSN Explorer a long time ago and I suppose it's possible it was removed than. I don't use it so...... If MSN Messenger is there it should be in your startmenu. I suspect the original Messenger was integrated with it but MSN Messenger is nothing more than another one of those confusing name things that MS likes to throw at us. I could be wrong though. Search your computer and see if you have the executable. msnmsgr.exe
    As I said, I uninstalled MSN Explorer a long time ago so I can't say for sure if I had it then or not. It wasn't on my computer long enough for me to notice. The MSN Messenger I'm using now I downloaded a while back from the link I posted. Let me whether you find the file or not. I'd be interested to know.

6. 2004/02/04
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

No! MSN Messenger is stand alone. Very similar to Windows Messenger, as has been pointed out, and why it's 'like' an upgrade, yet isn't one.

I also removed Windows Messenger from my machine, but I also installed MSN Messenger and use it. I don't believe that AVG, or any AV other than NAV monitor instant messaging programs, but won't swear to it. If any others do, I'd be interested to know. I should note however that MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger and AIM all have options to have file transfers scanned.

Christer, you might consider uninstalling Windows Messenger and installing MSN Messenger instead, although I cannot verify how it will be handled by NAV.

Last edited: 2004/02/04
  7. 2004/02/11
    Christer

My friend Eddie popped in on Messenger today ...... :( ...... but I had no indication what-so-ever that I was logged in!

I asked him if I had "been there" for the last couple of weeks and the answer was Oh yes, but I know that You´re having trouble with Messenger and don´t want to be disturbed too much!

I had to emphasize that it´s my slow typing that makes me reluctant to chat ...... :eek: ...... I simply can´t get the speed up and not that I don´t like my friend.

The next step will be to disable the protection of Messenger in NAV, I only hope that I remember to reenable it before logging in to check with Eddie if I´ve "been around ".

It will, hopefully, be a surprise for him when I pop in on his computer ...... :D ...... !

Christer

8. 2004/02/11
    Christer

One other thing that I noticed was that when Eddie popped in, there was only one item in the task bar, "Ed-converstation" and the only option was to terminate the conversation, not to log out.
    When I log in on purpose and Eddie gets in contact, there are two items, in addition to "Ed-conversation ", there is "Windows Messenger" which means that I can terminate the conversation and log out.

When the protection in NAV was disabled, in conjunction with the three registry hacks, msmsgs.exe wasn´t running in TaskManager ...... :rolleyes: ...... but we knew that already.

When I removed the registry hacks, msmsgs.exe was running as soon as I started Outlook Express.
    Since I always have OE running, then it makes no sense disabling the protection in NAV.

I also noticed that when the integration with OE was removed (the registry hack in use), I had no contacts in Windows Messenger when I started it manually. No-one to get in contact with even if I wanted to ...... :( ...... and I couldn´t get in contact with Eddie. Pretty meaningless, don´t You agree?
    When the integration was restored, the contacts were back.

The integration with OE, provides the Messenger icon in the task area which gives an indication if I´m logged in or not and that´s better than a crippled Windows Messenger that is of no use without contacts.

I´m back to square one which means that I´ve surrendered and will keep an eye on that icon to check my status ...... :p ...... !

Christer

Last edited: 2004/02/11
  9. 2004/02/25
    leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee Inactive

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger.

I have a Messenger folder and an MSN Messenger folder in C:\Program Files. OS is XP Pro. Don't recall ever downloading either.

10. 2004/02/25
    Zander

Windows Messenger is installed when you install WinXP. MSN Messenger I believe you have to download. It could be that a folder is put there during XP's install however. Is there any files in the MSN folder? If so, you can double click on msnmsgr.exe to make the program run. If the files are there, I suspect somebody downloaded it somewhere along the way. Any kids in the mix here??? Is there a shortcut in your start menu for it (start>all programs) ?

11. 2004/02/25
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Isn't MSN Messenger offered as an Other recommended downloads from windows update? Could have slipped in there.

EDIT

Just checked the Windows Update Catalog, no MSN Messenger offered. Not sure now why I thought it was. :confused:

Last edited: 2004/02/25
  12. 2004/02/26
    leeleeleelee

leeleeleelee Inactive

Yes, I have those shortcuts in the Start > All Programs right at the top, above a separator. Both Windows Messenger and MSN 6.0 and also MSN Explorer. My MSN Messenger folder has files in it including msnmsgr.exe.

Anyway, from browsing those two sites I posted earlier, I get the impression that Windows Messenger has got more features. Text, Voice, Video and more... so the site says. It is also used to help in Remote Assistance.

MSN Messenger, on the other hand, can be used in Mac OS too. Can make phone calls, play games, browse web together, etc.

Looks like they are two basically same programs (i think they share some files too) but have slightly different features. I read somewhere that one will be replaced by the other. Longhorn beta testers might be able to confirm this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.