1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Disabling Live Messenger when starting MSN Explorer

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by fdamp, 2009/06/15.

1. 2009/06/15
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've read the threads on disabling or preventing Live Messenger from starting, but I realized that they are all concerned with stopping it kicking off when Windows starts.

None of the remedies work in my situation. What I want to do is to prevent Windows Live Messenger from starting when MSN Explorer (the browser I use as part of my Verizon with MSN Premium subscription) is activated.

I have two computers networked together, both on the same MSN Explorer account. Only one of them has a camera and is Ethernet wired. The other one is on a wifi
    link.

What I'm trying to do is to deny the wifi machine any access to Windows Live Messenger. The irritant is that whenever one of the computers is loggged in to MSN Explorer, it blows the previously logged-on machine off Messenger.

We use Live Messenger so rarely, I'd like to delete the SOB entirely, but MSN Explorer won't run if Live Messenger has been deleted.

Does anyone have any ideas how to disable the damned thing without deleting it?

I've considered going into Live Messenger using the DOS edit and making the start up a "comment" line, but I can't get to it.

Neither of the disable suggestions already on the group work for me because i'm trying to stop it latching onto MSN Explorer start-up rather than the root Windows boot-up.

FYI, I have two computers which both have Windows XP Home with SP3 and are using Verizon with MSN Premium , so that MSN Explorer is the Internet browser. I think the problem would still exist if I was using Explorer 7.X rather than MSN Explorer (haven't gone to Explorer 8.0 due to major glitches when I tried it).

Last edited: 2009/06/15
  2. 2010/01/07
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Multiple log-on to Messnger SOLVED

Some time back, I posted about an irritating issue with Windows Live Messenger. We have two computers, my destop and my wife's netbook, both running on the same ISP account. Whichever of us logged on to our ISP first got an irritating message from Messnger saying we'd logged on from another location (when the other computer was logged on to the ISP) and that this log on would be terminated.

Since only one box had a video camera and we communicate with our son in Japan, this was a real burr under the saddle, as he showed up on the one without the camera about 75 percent of the time.

I finally found out (through a BING search) that a December 09 update to Messnger allowed multiple log-ins to one account. I downloaded it and now we have the capability for both computers to be on Windows Live Messenger and see everything that's going on.

Thank you, Microsoft, but why was it such a difficult task to find the update?

Last edited: 2010/01/07

3. to hide this advert.