1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved digital camera issue

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by XP dummy, 2015/01/06.

1. 2015/01/06
    XP dummy

XP dummy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I posted an IE9 issue in a different thread, and was directed to the Maleware section. Over an extended period, I ran all of the suggested scans to rule out a maleware problem. The last scan I ran was Windows Repair v2.9.2 from Tweaking.com.

Sometime after that period, I have not been able to have my digital camera show up as a portable device in My Computer. In the past I have simply hooked it up with the supplied USB cord. Other flash drives work in the same USB port. I am able to put the SD card in the card reader, and work with the files from there.

A call to Fuji support suggested it was a Windows problem given the recent history of Maleware scans. He insisted it was a "Plug and Play" camera, and needed no additional driver supplied by Fuji.

With it hooked up and turned on, the camera displays USB in it's display as previously. I went into Device Manager, under Portable Devices, and it shows up there. In the properties window under the General tab, in Device Status, there is the message: "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (code 37) ". "Check for Solutions" did nothing.

Is my only option to Update Driver? Thanks for any help in getting this resolved.

2. 2015/01/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Give this a try .....

With the camera plugged in go to Device Manager and right click on it > Uninstall.

Leaving the camera plugged in shut down the computer, wait 30 secs and reboot.

Windows will reinstall the driver - check in Windows Explorer.

BTW - did any software come with the camera? If so would be an idea to uninstall it and reinstall.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/01/06
    XP dummy

To clarify, I should leave the camera plugged in, and turned on?
    There was an install CD for Finepix Viewer v5.5 for Windows. I thought about uninstalling/reinstalling, but the Fuji tech support person I talked to said there were no drivers required. That it was Plug and Play, and that Windows would detect the new device.
    I'll try the unistall you suggested. What am I looking for in Windows Explorer, and how do I get in there? Thanks.

5. 2015/01/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It really doesn't matter whether or not the camera is turned on or not - if turned on Windows should detect it on boot, if turned off Windows should detect it when it is switched on.

I'm not quite sure how you can navigate through your files on the PC without using Windows Explorer :) So long since I last used XP, but as I recall Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer. If the camera is recognized it should be shown as a Removable Disk, i.e. Windows is seeing the SD or CF card contained within the camera.

6. 2015/01/06
    XP dummy

:DThanks Pete. You had just the right advice to get this straightened out. I tried the same thing, sort of, but I didn't uninstall the camera first.
    Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer was spot on too. But I was getting to the same place by clicking on My Computer.
    Hopefully this will stay fixed. Thanks again.