1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Desperately Need Help Retrieving Japanese Language Data from MSDE

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Mr. Chip, 2008/04/08.

1. 2008/04/08
    Mr. Chip Lifetime Subscription

Mr. Chip Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

OK, this might be my most unusual post ever. I need some help with a SQL Server problem. Here is my situation. I have a custom web application built on MSDE (free SQL 2000) that generates forms for people to complete. I use Enterprise Manager to administer the database. I am not a DBA and do not have a lot of experience writing SQL code.

I have one table that has a field specified as nvarchar 4000. This table is part of a web-based form that people complete. Some people typed their answers in Japanese (Kanji). When I use my standard method for exporting the table to Excel, all of the Kanji characters are replaced by ??? When I view the records inside of Enterprise manager I see the same thing.

First, does anyone know if the original Kanji characters are somehow stored in the database? My server's default language is English (and I cannot change it to Japanese). So I am hoping (or should I say praying) the data is there and that the problem is that Enterprise Manager and my server do not know how to display it.

Assuming the data is there, does anyone know how to use DTS or some other method to export the fields as Unicode text?

Characters like & #21488; & #21271; (with spaces added to break the code) would be displayed as 台 北.

This one has me stumped. I will continue looking into this on my end and will let you know if I learn anything. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chip

2. 2008/04/09
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I sent an email to my companies SQL Developer....Had to tell him it's a non business question/aka low priority....

Question - you're wanting the characters to show up in Japanese correct? You can then manually translate it into English if needed?

Another question - do you have another pc where you can change the Regional setting to Japanese and open the Excel file there?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/04/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Not sure about this, but you could use a dropdown menu in the form where the user selects "language" prior to filling in the form, then if language = other than trhe default, insert the data into a table with that language as the default charset. Or even easier, use a few lines of code that translate the other language (posted data) into Eng prior to inserting into the tables.