1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Desktop Windows Composition and Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hyperjenn, 2014/10/21.

1. 2014/10/21
    hyperjenn

hyperjenn Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, I'm Jenn, also new to these forums.
    I stumbled upon a problem when switching from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 8.1 Pro x64.
    I have the EXACT same setup, same laptop, same hardware, same programs, same configuration, everything.
    Windows 7 never did anything like the problem I now have in Win 8.1. Here's the problem;

Whenever I run more than 1 3D application, after 1-5 minutes the screen blinks, and hangs the graphics of one, some or all the programs (randomly). It doesn't hang the actual program (or game), it just stops rendering the graphics -- I can still hear the software's sound and if I click around, I can hear myself interacting with it.
    I have ALL the latest drivers for the computer, motherboard, ALL devices including graphics cards etc. Also ALL Windows Updates installed, nothing more to install.

All of the programs I use is specifically set to use only the nVidia adapter, forcibly through the nVidia Control Panel, so it's not a switching graphics problem because it's a laptop. Also, never was a problem in Windows 7 either.

Here's what I gathered from event viewer right when it happened;

So as you can see, DWM is logging in and out some account that can be all the way up to DWM-7 from what I've seen so far. It just logs in, sets some parameters and the directly logs out.
    This is a ONE-user system, Only my user account is on it, and remote login has been disabled.
    In Windows 7, at least DWM could be disabled - not that I ever had to, because it worked with all my stuff, but seeing as DWM is screwing up totally in Win8, I thought I'd just disable the server, but it's nowhere to be found.
    Also, it seems Microsoft changed how it works, the system has been redesigned to generate an OK even if it's still on, like this example below:

DwmEnableComposition( DWM_EC_DISABLECOMPOSITION ) does not work on Windows 8, even though it returns S_OK. Confirmation is by calling DwmIsCompositionEnabled(), which shows the former function had no effect.

There's only 1 dwm.exe running:
    http://www.hyperunknown.net/dwm-01.jpg

There's only 1 user logged in (me):
    http://www.hyperunknown.net/dwm-02.jpg

Here's the complete user list of the system:
    http://www.hyperunknown.net/dwm-03.jpg

And here's the system information from my computer itself:
    System: http://www.hyperunknown.net/sysinfo-01.jpg
    Devices: http://www.hyperunknown.net/sysinfo-02.jpg

Running only 1 of the softwares at a time is not an option for me, either for work or for home use, so how can I fix this?
    // Jenn

2. 2014/10/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/10/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I found this explanation of DWM W8.1 64 bit:
    To clear this up, Aero is technically the transparent glass theme used in Windows Vista and 7. A modified version was used in Windows 8 up until the Release Preview.

Aero only can be displayed while the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) is running, as it is the compositor that allows these effects to function properly (layers windows in 3D space rather than painting them pixel by pixel). In Windows Vista and 7, DWM required GPU acceleration (supporting DirectX 9.0c and WDDM driver) to function. To paint the UI without that, the older GDI methods of painting windows by the rectangles and the pixels was needed. Disabling DWM service also disabled the Aero theme (putting it into basic). Using the basic theme or classic theme disabled DWM, as it wasn't being used to display those themes. High contrast themes used classic theme, and setting everything to 'best performance' disabled both DWM and themes (causing the classic theme to be used). GDI was the fallback, which used the CPU to paint the windows the old fashioned way. Because they aren't layered and composited, a window covering another one caused the window beneath it to require a redraw of everything when the offending window was moved away. This is why you see so many weird artifacts when you drag windows around real fast in XP or Vista/7 basic/classic theme.

In Windows 8, DWM was upgraded so that it could render the desktop in a composited 3D space even without WDDM graphics drivers or GPU acceleration present. They achieve this by putting all this workload on the CPU instead, aka 'software rendering'. GDI to draw the desktop window elements has been removed, save for drawing the individual buttons and controls inside a window perhaps (for compatibility). In the RTM, DWM functions to make window borders transparent and blur transparencies was removed. As well, they modified the Aero theme to be extremely flat and basic looking, with no gradients or detail whatsoever. However, the technology that powered Aero (DWM) is still running, this time, as an always-on feature you cannot disable. DWM being always-on was necessary for the smooth animated experience of the 'start screen' and 'metro apps' being able to overlay the desktop without worrying about redrawing obscured windows, as well as taking advantage of GPU acceleration (when available) to keep the experience smooth. Disabling DWM or trying to compromise the theme would give you a giant black screen or an otherwise unusable Windows 8 desktop. Obviously, this means they removed the ability to disable DWM. Thanks to Lazure.
    I see also that NVdia users are having trouble with 3D Graphics rendering -
    maybe this is where your problem arises.
    I see you've asked this same question in 3 other Forums. I'm afraid I can't help any further as I haven't ventured into 3D yet. :eek: All the best Neil.

5. 2014/10/23
    hyperjenn

That makes complete sense to me actually, it's just too bad they did it that way. I suppose I'll have to revert back to W7 to get things working. I tried compatibility mode for W7 and Vista and eventually got it working, BUT then I had to use software rendering for the recording (which only is a visible option when running in compatibility mode) and instantly went from 100+ FPS down to around 15, which isn't exactly pretty :p .. Anyways, thanks for your time, seems I'll have to revert then :)

6. 2014/12/07
    hyperjenn

In the interest of information sharing, I just thought I'd post the resolution.
    I didn't have time to experiment with this at all for another 2 weeks but then I eventually solved it.
    Solution:

Set all the games to use the nvidia card.
    Set all processes that has to do with obs/open broadcaster to use the integrated intel card.
    Problem solved, with full FPS everywhere.