1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Depositing a check via smartphone to checking acct

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by psaulm119, 2020/09/21.

1. 2020/09/21
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I just got a new checking account, and like the Droid app that lets me take a pic of the check & deposit it online.

Someone told me (famous last words) that someone can hack into your phone and get the pics of the checks. Is this a legit security threat? I'm not concerned about it being taken from me physically--I can lock it--but as far as a hacker wirelessly--is that possible?

2. 2020/09/22
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Pretty much anything is possible now a days.... And a lot depends on if the phone is protected or not.

In your example - in theory - the check that YOUR phone sends to YOUR bank will get credit first. If another person tries to submit the same information - the original bank should catch it and say "WAIT A MINUTE.... Paul has already deposited the check."

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2020/09/22
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I did get the app from google play, and it is legit; when I log in on my laptop I see the same info.

The article you linked to suggested 2FA. I just checked and the app didn't have an option for that. Although, I'm not sure what 2FA would look like when logging in on a phone. Isn't the phone itself the second factor?

5. 2020/09/22
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree with Steve here. But if you have doubts still, send me the check and I will deposit it in my account and let you know how I spent the money. :rolleyes:o_O

6. 2020/09/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What are "checks" ?
    We used to use Cheques but Banks in NZ are not accepting them any more.
    You can't get a book of cheques from banks period.
    We use Internet Banking - all electronic transfers and card payments and we carry very little cash these days.