1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dell Vostro desktop refuses to boot Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Blufx, 2018/01/17.

1. 2018/01/17
    Blufx

Blufx Well-Known Member Thread Starter

A friends Vostro 220 running Windows 10 had a motherboard go out. I had a Vostro 200 with a similar board. I expected to have problems with the OS starting. If it couldn't boot or repair itself, I was prepared to reinstall Windows. When started, the computer boots, then goes to the Windows logo and hangs there. The spinning dots don't appear and it does nothing more. I figured I'd boot from a Windows 10 install disk and attempt repair from there, but it hangs on the logo also. I tried a couple other Win 10 disk and USB install with the same result. Out of curiosity I tried a Windows 7 DVD. It booted. So did Windows 8 and a couple other various boot disk I have, but nothing with Windows 10 will boot.
    I'm at a loss.

2. 2018/01/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Legacy or UEFI boot in BIOS?
    Did you change the motherboard?
    You will need the Product key if the board is not recognized.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/18
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Blufx. Did you make sure to disconnect any other peripheral devices other than keyboard and mouse?

Did you set the motherboards BIOS back to default values and try booting to a Windows 10 USB drive? Did you try another USB port?