1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Deleted bluetooth registry key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wlafeen, 2007/04/26.

1. 2007/04/26
    wlafeen

wlafeen Inactive Thread Starter

This post has to do with my laptop; my first laptop so I am still learning...

My Acer Aspire 5601 laptop did not come with a Bluetooth module installed. I wanted to avoid using a dongle or PCMCIA card so I spent the money on an internal module and installed it without any problems. At present, the only Bluetooth device I use with the laptop is a Logitech V270 mouse which works very well and I like very much. I will also be getting a Plantronics Pulsar 590 Bluetooth headset to use with the laptop and the desktop (which has a Toshiba dongle on the back for Bluetooth).

Right after I got the module installed, at next boot, the laptop found new hardware but was unable to install drivers and the module was not useable. I remembered (incorrectly it seems) that I had read something online to the effect that XP SP2 has resident Bluetooth drivers and many were finding these to work better than other drivers. I did a Google search and was following an article (incorrectly again it seems!) that told me to delete a registry key, uninstall Bluetooth in Device Manager, then select Action and Scan for hardware changes etc. I deleted the registry key, went to Device Manager and quickly realized I should have gone there first because I would have seen that there was no Bluetooth driver to uninstall! Duh! Then I got the brilliant idea of going to the Acer website to see if there was a Bluetooth driver download available and there was. Installed the driver and everything is working fine now.

So I've made a long story long and my question has to do with the registry key I deleted. The key has to do with Bluetooth; the key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{e0cbf06c-cd8b-4647-bb8a-263b43f0f974}

OK, so my question is this - do I need to be concerned at all that this registry key is gone? On the surface, it would seem that it is not a problem since everything is working properly. But I also know that issues in the registry can cause significant problems. Might I get to some future point when missing this registry key is going to cause me all kinds of problems? Should I add the key back in? If I understand a topic in Registry Editor Help correctly, I can do this by right-clicking on Class and selecting New Key.

Or am I worrying about something I don't need to worry about? Well, I appreciate your willingness to read my long-winded post. The laptop runs XP MCE SP2 if that matters.

2. 2007/04/27
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Here is the MS Knowledge base article about it. A quick read should answer your own question. This relates to SP2 "breaking" your old drivers and it sounds like you followed the instructions correctly to fix this. I wouldn't worry about this unless you've been up half the night debating sunny side up versus over easy.

;)

3. to hide this advert.