1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

date/time adjust

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by denisaf2000, 2010/04/06.

1. 2010/04/06
    denisaf2000

denisaf2000 Inactive Thread Starter

I have a windows 98SE system. A week ago, the system automatically moved the hour back for the end of daylight saving. This was wrong because the day for ending daylight saving had been moved forward a week and this had not been incorporated into the system. I manually adjusted the hour forward. Daylight saving ended on Sunday so I tried to manually put the hour back. I was able to bring up the Adjust Date/Time window and set back the hour but it did not work. An hour glass came up and stayed there. I have tried to do it a number of times, mostly after rebooting. I tried clicking on the automatic adjustment box to remove the tick there. Now the Adjust Date/time window will not come up. It seems this system is now corrupted. What can I do?

2. 2010/04/09
    mtnview64

mtnview64 Well-Known Member

You can try downloading TZedit.zip or TZeditWin98.exe. Make sure you get the TZedit.zip for win98, the file size is 23,626. These files are suppose to be the fix for Day-light savings time.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/04/09
    denisaf2000

I have installed TZediWin98. It provides information of how to adjust the Time Zone. I do not need to do that. I only want to adjust the time. I right click om the time and then on Adjust Time/Date. I then click on the hour (now 2) and then on the v to change it to 1. Apply then lights up and I click on this. This is the procedure I have used successfully for years. How, however, it does not work. A wineglass appears so something is happening. The only way I can stop it is to reboot. I can use the computer for everything else but the time remains unchanged at one hour ahead.

5. 2010/04/10
    mtnview64

mtnview64 Well-Known Member

When I need to change the time or date. I usually just double click the time in the sys-tray, which opens it, then I just click next to the number I want to change, delete it and enter my new number (time) and hit the OK button.

6. 2010/04/10
    denisaf2000

The procedure you recommend is similar to the one I have used over the years. I have just done it precisely the way you said. When I clocked on OK the wineglass came up and the time in the sys-tray did not change. What used to work no longer works.

7. 2010/04/13
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

An alternative approach is to download the program Atomic Clock Sync v2.7.0.3 for Windows 98, install it, then open an internet connection, and run it. It will synchronise your system clock to a time clock on the internet, thus putting your clock right.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/oldversion/atomic.exe

An interim solution only, but better than having the wrong time showing constantly!

For a permanent solution, you could try re-registering the System DLL files. This might cure the underlying fault. Go to START > RUN and then type:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Press Enter. You should see a brief message that the dll has been successfully registered.

Do the same with the following, one at a time, pressing enter after each:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Browseui.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Then download and install this Microsoft patch, which will install DLL files that are compatible with Win98:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/Patch/1.0/WIN98/EN-US/mcrepair.EXE

Answer YES when prompted to replace a Newer file with an Older version.

Last edited: 2010/04/13
  8. 2010/04/14
    denisaf2000

Thank you Ed999. For some reason when I tried the Adjust Date/Time it worked although I used the same procedure as in the numerous times I tried it and just got the wineglass. so I now have the correct time for the next six months. If the problem then crops up again I will try what you have recommended.