1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

customize missing

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by johngkerr, 2004/10/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/10/19
    johngkerr

johngkerr Inactive Thread Starter

Windows Explorer and internet explorer tool bar right click menu is missing costomize also it is missing under view/toolbar :eek: can anyone help

2. 2004/10/20
    johngkerr

well i guess everyone is clueless as i am :(

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/10/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

5. 2004/10/20
    johngkerr

did that not that many but they didn't help thanks

6. 2004/10/20
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Do a registry check for and delete if found:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#LockedBars

Do this manually. Don't use the reg fix referenced on this page!!! It removes and replaces more registry keys and values then you need or may want.

Last edited: 2004/10/20
  7. 2004/10/20
    johngkerr

that reg hack didn't work but my bad IE and OE have customize on toolbar
    windows explorer is the only one missing customize :rolleyes:

8. 2004/10/22
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi again johngkerr,

I was soooo hoping this would be a policy registry key. It still may be. There are so many ways to enable and disable default options and behaviors that this could be very difficult to find. You are aware that the "Standard" toolbar is the only toolbar that has a right click option to customize. You'd have to be right clicking on the Standard toolbar (in a blank area at the end of the bar) for the option to show up. (Possible exceptions would be 3rd party toolbars that have this function built in).

What happens when you use the F11 to crunch all the toolbars onto one line? If you right click on this does the option show up?

How familiar are you with the products Spybot, Lavasofts adaware and hijackthis? Many have been having a problem with a toolbar called isearch that is known to interfer with the standard toolbar options and behaviors?

Perhaps you should pay a visit to the security forum and follow the links and recommended procedures for obtaining and running the LATEST most CURRENT versions of these products.

Other suggestions would be an "IE repair ", "searching your whole registry for the Hkey named in my previous thread ", doing a restart in dosmode and running the dos lines scanreg /fix and then scanreg /opt, Ask yourself if you have done a manual tweak or used a third party tweaker or Adaware product that may have disabled or locked the ability to change your defaults (for security reasons).

Have you noticed any other unusual menus, tabs or options missing not to mention any rightclick "context menu" problems? Any errors? Installed or uninstalled anything recently? Ran any sort of policy editor such as poledit?

---------
    Desparate....after making sure you have a current backup of your registry-
    You could try this:
    http://toolbar.google.com/fixmenu

Last edited: 2004/10/22
  9. 2004/10/22
    jubalsams

jubalsams Inactive

Using Win98/Win98se if it just happened you could restore the registry to a date before the problem. Boot to real MSDOS (F8) and choose "Command Prompt Only" then:
    scanreg /restore

Best

10. 2004/10/22
    johngkerr

i have looked at some other computors with w98 and they only have customize on IE and OE not windows explorer. should it be there i though that is was but know i don't know i will check some of you suggestion and get back with you ps i have latest ver adaware it dosen't find any think, i also have highjackthis haven't seen and thing there but i dion't know what some of the think are ;)

11. 2004/10/22
    Beboh

Beboh Inactive

Are you talking about the customize option where you can like add and remove and move buttons and stuff from the toolbar? I didn't think win98 had that option.

12. 2004/10/22
    jubalsams

jubalsams Inactive

Have it here in WE 98se: it lets you add a background color or create HTML page for folder. Opens in a wizard. Is on the View menu. I think it creates desktop.ini file in folder. Wizard has option "Remove Customization" which is the only way i have ever used it.

13. 2004/10/28
    johngkerr

I don't know if Win98 has customize on windows explorer menu or not. I have it on internet explorer and outlook express ver 6.0 ,and I may never have had it, can anyone tell me if I should ???? :confused:

14. 2004/10/29
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Okay, I finally dragged the old presario out of the closet that still has win98se on it. I think someone mentioned earlier that "windows explorer's toolbar" was fixed or hardcoded and was not customizable beyond either "icons" or "text with icons ", "show" or "hide" . This is correct. You can't right click customize or find it via the menu because it is not an option. Sorry about the confusion but at least you now have your IE and OE toolbars fixed now know why there is no right click option on winexplorer toolbar.

I use Xp, as my regular operating system of choice, which does have a customizable winexplorer toolbar. Even as much as I enjoyed win98se, it's been a while since I have even opened her up. It didn't even occur to me that there may be a difference between the two as far as the toolbar went. I hope this helped. Bye...

Last edited: 2004/10/29
  15. 2004/11/01
    johngkerr

yes you are right i have look on other win98 computors and they don't have customize on windows explorer menu. thank you all for your help. this bbs is what keeps my old pc up and running thanks you all :)

16. 2004/11/01
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

The Windows Explorer toolbar is customized as a side affect of customizing IE's toolbar, or at least that is what occurs with mine.

17. 2004/11/02
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi again johnkerr,

I'm hoping you haven't left this post in the dust. I have now put the old reliable Presario back into the closet and am not looking forward to dragging it out yet again. While I'm sure Marks observation will prove to be true, I await your confirmation and discovery that indeed anything you do to customize the standard toolbar in IE or OE is "reflected on" or "effects" the winexplorer toolbar.

In any case thanks for taking the time to update your post and your most welcome.

Perhaps some other board member reading this will be so kind as to play with their toolbars and respond with any finding.

Last edited: 2004/11/03
  18. 2004/11/03
    johngkerr

WELL I THOUGHT THAT CUSTOMIZE WAS ON MY WIN EXP TOOLBAR AFTER I UPGRADED IE OE BUT IT'S NOT THERE NOW. BUT I UPGRADED ANOTHER OLD WIN98 TO OE 6 AND IT DID THE SAME THINK ?????? :rolleyes:

19. 2004/11/03
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Yes, it would do that, Internet Explorer is embedded into Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.