1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

create shares on peer to peer

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by jawdoc, 2008/05/26.

1. 2008/05/26
    jawdoc

jawdoc Inactive Thread Starter

I have a question regarding creating shares on a xp pro peer to peer network. I recently encountered a network that was setup with a peer to peer configuration even though there was a Windows 2003 server on the network.
    The network was setup by someone else and he created unique usernames and passwords for each xp pro node on the network. My question is, what is the easiest way to allow shares on a machine without adding every user on the network to the machine that needs to share?
    They don't want to go to a domain setup for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

2. 2008/05/27
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

I guess share it out to all "everyone "
    Don't know if that's the right answer but maybe it will get a few others to jump in. ;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/28
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

You may get problems using everyone, as everyone can behave like "everyone I know about" rather than "everyone who tries to connect ". It's a good place to start, so try it and see.

Another option is to use guest (basically, that means turning on and using simple file sharing).

However, by far the best solution is to set up a domain on the 2003 server and use the domain. The single centralised point where user credentials are configured, is exactly what a domain server provides and it is this type of network use, where it is provided the best return for your buck.

Any other solution is going to leave the network open for easy movement of malware around the network as well as unwanted human network wandering.

It may be a hard sell, but in 6 months time they'll thank you for it!

Oh! and hunt down the idiot who set up the network in the first place and throw them into the pit of buffoons. You'll be doing a great service to networking. :)

5. 2008/05/28
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

I was assuming you wanted to create a share on one of the XP machines.
    Is this share on the server?