1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved CPU Temp Help

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chaosmachine420, 2010/07/21.

1. 2010/08/01
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have no personal experience with Corsair cases, but I really like their PSUs and of course, they are noted for their RAM. Please come back and let us know what you think of that case when you get it.

2. 2010/08/01
    Chaosmachine420

Chaosmachine420 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

If u have seen the case the 800d or 700d its like it but for mid tower case it has features that are key to cases that they are the leaders in half what a case should be and then just the other companies that know how to get air flow to team up and create an ultimate case. I just need to know when they are releasing the case since its only going to be 150 market price.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/08/01
    Bill

Yeah, I am familiar with all the Corsair cases, but have only seen pictures and read about them. I sure would like to touch and feel one, however. ;)

5. 2010/08/01
    Chaosmachine420

Well i hope i can get it soon jsut cant say when its out tho.

6. 2010/08/03
    Chaosmachine420

How good is the Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU cooler I might want to get that soon.

7. 2010/08/03
    Bill

It works, but it did not get rave reviews. Here's the last page of the Guru3D Review. I should also point out that if your CPU is the retail version that came supplied with an Intel or AMD cooler, then using a 3rd party cooler voids the warranty. If the CPU is an OEM version and did not come with a cooler, then no problem.

Damage from overclocking is not covered either.

8. 2010/08/04
    Chaosmachine420

Well i think i solved it most part I'm going with a new case that will help with cable management without making any case mods. I do need to know when that case will be out tho.

9. 2010/08/06
    Chaosmachine420

Almost forgot I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit now installed. I was looking again at the Cpu temps and I'm getting about 61c for high and low i got average for 39c. I will look again at the cold boot in bios and would updating ur bios change anything for temps.

10. 2010/08/07
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

No, it wouldn't.

11. 2010/08/07
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

If Max Tcase is 72.7*C, you don't want the system running for any extended length of time over that figure. If it "spiked" occasionally above that, it shouldn't be cause for concern.

That would give you an idea of what an improved air flow would do (like when you get your new case). I expect the new case would have an air intake directly over the CPU, that should help (a lot).

The temperatures should come down in the cooler months, so you might expect a 5*C improvement (and hopefully more). The very minimum the CPU could possibly run at is around the ambient temperature of the environment.

If the "low" running temperatures came down to the mid-to-low 30's. I don't know that you would get any better than that. In websearches, I found that the lowest temperatures people were quoting were in the high 20's/low 30's and those figures might be in the cooler months or a temperature regulated (air conditioned) room. If you can get a few more degrees reduction in those temperatures (when you get your new case), I think the system would be working fine.

"Highs" in the 60s shouldn't be any problem.

You might want to have an extra case fan installed, but only connect it during the summer months.

Matt

12. 2010/08/07
    Bill

Right.

But also, a new case, if chosen wisely, will support large (120mm or larger) fans instead of the standard 80mm fans. 120mm fans are much better because (1) they move massive amounts of air and (2) they generally run at lower RPM - thus they are quieter.

13. 2010/08/07
    Chaosmachine420

I would like to know if you think the new Corsair 600t case would be better for airflow or would it be worse then what I have right now. The one I have too right now is Antec Nine Hundred. I also need to know if the power supply fan on the top takes in cool air or puts out hot air.

14. 2010/08/08
    Bill

I think both would be excellent.
    Power supply fan? You don't mess with the PSU fans. Did you mean the fan on the top of the case? They always exhaust air out of the case.

15. 2010/08/08
    jrealing

jrealing Inactive

I would say that your temp are high. Instead of air cooled try the Corsair H50 if they have a bracket to fit your processor type. With out going into details about it check it out at the Corsair site. It brought may cpu temps way down and better then any of the high class or equal to the best air cooler on market at a equal to or less then what the cooler cost. BIG PLUS it is quit.

16. 2010/08/09
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Here is a link to the Antec Nine Hundred information
    http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/nine hundred_lights on.pdf
    You do have the rear (middle) 120mm fan that they say is optional, otherwise the air would flow in through the blank space and go straight out through the top 200mm fan. The rear fan blows out, not in, right?

Can you feel a good flow of air coming out of the top and rear fans? How you control the 3 speed switches? I might wonder if one could nullify the other (it tries to draw air back through the other one). Try to get a good air flow out through the (rear) fan next to the CPU.

Make sure the case is not close to any walls or up under a desk, otherwise the fans will do nothing.

The Antec looks very good, if the air flows are correct. The aim (for you at least) is to draw a good flow of air across the CPU area.

Matt

17. 2010/08/09
    Chaosmachine420

I have 2 I think 120 fans that are optional to put in my case. The first one can mount on the side panel of my case not exactly over the CPU but can take the heat from the graphics card and cpu and blow it out the side or **** air in. The other mounts one of the 2 hard drive trays and would let you use both fans to blow air in faster. The top one puts out air enough to make a tissue levitate same with the back fan too. The 3 speed switches are manually controlled by opening up the case and they have a low medium and high toggle. Well what if i replaced that fan with the Corsair H50 water cooler and put the fan on the side either to blow in and to **** out the other hot air would that maybe help. The case is out side of everything but when I put the stand fan facing my tower it cooled the cpu down more so could it be the fans inside not powerfull enough.

18. 2010/08/09
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Have a look through all the videos they offer at the Corsair site. Go to the Watch Videos tab.
    http://www.corsair.com/products/600t/default.aspx
    They show you about air flows, how their heatsink is installed, etc. The heatsink looks good and could be the ultimate alternative, but the last temperatures you quoted seem acceptable to me.

The Corsair case draws air through the base, it would be no good for me because I have carpet and my computer is next to a walk-way, so dust would be continually fed into it.

What settings are the fans on? I would have the rear (slightly) faster than the others, otherwise the top/200mm might pull the air out before it flowed past the CPU.

Matt

19. 2010/08/09
    Chaosmachine420

Ok the cooler i might get if i get the case and I also found out when its coming out too. Corsair said they would be releasing it mid September. I was wondering because it doesn't have the number of fans you can add on tho. Everything that i can control is up to high on all the switches.

20. 2010/08/10
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Something you might consider is that the graphics card is getting quite hot. Have you checked the temperatures for it? If the graphics adapter gets hot, the heat it outputs can stop the CPU from cooling correctly. Have you installed the drivers from the disk that came with it?

If you are going to re-build into the Corsair case yourself, download the instructions for the heatsink and make yourself very familiar with them. Connecting the heatsink is the area to be the most careful with, the rest is just snap, clip or bolt.

Does the heatsink come pre-coated with thermal compound (Bill referred to it as TIM)?

I will let you research it, post back and ask any questions if you want to. Include a link to the instructions.

Matt

21. 2010/08/10
    Chaosmachine420

The graphics card i have looked at its saying its reading about 57c. I did install the drives on the disc and then updated them because mine was the newest till a couple of days ago and that i downloaded and installed. The cooler I have seen how to install its step by step both from the manufacture and other builders how to install correctly and quickly. They say it comes with the thermal compound already on the heat sink and i know that means i have to clean off my other one. Heres the link to the video that Corsair made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoFiFuS_g&feature=player_embedded . I do have another would too many cd/dvd drives affect anything.