1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Corrupt/Missing File [hal.dll]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bls5, 2005/06/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/30
    bls5

bls5 Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I was doing a system restore last night, and out of no where when it went back to reboot a screen appeared:

"windows could not start because the following fule is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Well, I installed a custom bootscreen from themexp.org or one of those sties and it has been working, I get the option of using that or the standard xp bootscreen when I startup and I have done system restores in the past with this bootscreen... so i doubt its that... but what should I do about that file?

Help appreciated. Thanks

bls5,
  2. 2005/06/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/30
    bls5

i cant even get to the login screen, it just halts at that error

bls5,
  5. 2005/06/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2005/06/30
    bls5

ok im in the recovery command prompt... and i dont know what to put in so i can get this file and get my computer started? does anyone know what i should type in

bls5,
  7. 2005/06/30
    maggie

maggie Inactive

8. 2005/06/30
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then you can try two easier known options to fix this: (there are others) Didn't you read kelly's link and fix references as sugested by Pete or did panick set in?

Option 1:
    Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
    DEL C:\Boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild
    Fixboot

Option 2:
    Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be
    expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
    Substitute d:\ for the drive letter of your CD and c:\ should be changed to reflect the partition your xp is installed on..
    Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer. This is assuming your not using a weird OEM disk and the path to i386\hal.dl_ is correct. If not your going to have to do a dir search.

Personal experience: My fix was the result of a corrupted hal.dll and knowing that a newer hal.dll was in the servicepackfiles folder and was version specific after the applying xpsp1 I choose to copy the file from the *:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\I386 to *:\windows\system32 (* in the preceding is to be replaced by your partition letter that xp is installed on.) This worked for me. Upon reboot and after all devices were detected and installed again, I was good to go, thanking my lucky stars that it turned out to be this easy. Apparently others have had to use other more extreme measures.

Last edited: 2005/06/30
  9. 2005/06/30
    bls5

thanks goddez i will try that now. I did what maggie suggested and i got:

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning . Use chkdsk to detect any errors

I ran chkdsk and it said 1 or more errors were found on the volume

bls5,
  10. 2005/06/30
    bls5

Part 1 i dont understand what to do for Attrib, but bootcfg/rebuild has corrupted files so it wont work..

part 2 said access is denied

and part 3 was invalid

:( i am clueless on this subject

bls5,
  11. 2005/06/30
    bls5

turns out i dont have the boot.ini file : /

12. 2005/06/30
    bls5

is there any way i can just reformat my computer over all of this mess?

13. 2005/07/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Which switch, if any, did you use with CHKDSK? I suggest you run chkdsk /r - which recovers readable information from bad sectors and if that has no effect run chkdsk /f which fixes errors on the disk. (note the space before the forward slash /). If no joy ....

There is - the following write up outlines how to install a new copy of XP on a drive which already has a non-working copy already installed, Some of the text is taken from the blue setup screens ....

In the above method the drive/partition on which the current version of Windows is installed is formatted and all data on the drive will be lost.

If you have important data on the drive which is not backed up you could consider a Parallel Install of XP, see the references below ....

From MS - Performing a Parallel Windows XP Professional Installation

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Parallel Install step by step

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Parallel Install step by step

God Luck :D

14. 2005/07/05
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Ut oh...

Hi bls5,
    How did I lose track of you? Been so busy and preoccupied with a few other, rather time consuming but interesting posts and felt secure that Pete or other members much more qualified or knowledgeable would see you through this I lost track of time. How are you coming along on this? What did you do to resolve this?

I was working on a running text for you, while this was an issue, periodically adding to, adjusting and editing when time and interest was available. Can't see any reason to waste it. It may be to late (really sorry) for your use but could help another further down the road, even in it's semi raw unfinished state.

Here it is for what it's worth:
    I assume Kelly's site and her recipe for fixing this is largely based on the following ms article:
    (Her recipes are usually adjusted based on the gathered personal experiences of other users, over time, and result in an adjusted final recipe which consists of what works best or most often.)

Invalid Boot.ini or missing hal.dll
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
    SYMPTOMS
    When you start your computer, you may receive one or both of the following error messages:
    1)Invalid Boot.ini
    2)Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    Windows\System32\Hal.dll

CAUSE
    This issue may occur if the Boot.ini file is missing, damaged, or contains incorrect entries.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, your mission is to
    >start the computer from the Windows XP CD,
    >start the Recovery Console,
    >and then tshoot cause #1 boot.ini using the Bootcfg.exe tool to rebuild the Boot.ini file.

So install the recovery console. Review and understand the command prompt options available. You will be much more relaxed, comfortable and less confused if you "understand what your doing ", "why your doing it" and "know and understand the other options" you can try.
    How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/

NOTE: Some of the commands you'll be using will not work unless a chkdsk /R is done and succeeds, specifically "bootcfg /rebuild ". Any corrupt file system or bad sectors (harddrive damage) not corrected will produce errors when running this command. If chkdsk cannot correct errors you may have more problems than a mere boot.ini or missing hal.dll.

After loading the recovery console your going to focus on cause #1 the boot.ini file:
    Nfo to become familiar with the Bootcfg command and its uses
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980/
    Ordinarily the bootcfg command of bootcfg /list, would be entered and the entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen. I guess this step was skipped because the instructions called for the deletion of boot.ini with the intention of rebuilding it. (Don't know that I personally would have done this without first renaming the current boot.ini and copying it somewhere else for safe keeping but that has just become my cautious approach when working with system files). As a sidenote and to give Kelly's site due credit. She is very careful, when it comes to advice given and posted on her site. I'm sure this has been time tested and proven not be harmful. She and her site links are referred to, used and trusted by thousands every day, but as with any site, nothing should taken at face value or used with blind faith. You need to know what your doing and why and understand the consequences and how to reverse the change before the need arises.

Some of the commands given via Kelly's site is assuming boot.ini exists. You may receive "failures" or "unables" on some procedures. Example: such as attrib. Logically, if the file is not there, you cannot remove or change the attributes. Just ignore and continue. Additional problems will have to be addressed based on any errors you get while trying to step through the commands. Logic and common sense play a big part in this. If your trying to do something and it fails, ask yourself "why would it fail ". Prompt commands take finesse and the highest level of attention to detail. Correct Syntax, paths, spelling and spacing are critical.

As directed by Kelly's site: Option 1 addresses a possible boot.ini problem. A breakdown of these steps are as follows.
    Bolded text typed as directed at the prompt...
    Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
    Removes any attributes that would prevent working with this file

DEL C:\Boot.ini
    The file BOOT.INI contains the information on which partition in this case, Windows XP is installed. (or partitions of operating systems, if using multiple boot)

Rather than trying to edit this file which may be worthless anyway (provided it even exists anymore) it is easier just to rebuild a new one. You delete what may be a bad, reported as missing or corrupt boot.ini in order to rebuild a new one. Personally I think I would modify this and choose to rename this file rather than delete it but that is my preference.

BootCfg /Rebuild
    This command scans the hard disks of the computer for OS installations, and then displays the results. After this you will be offered the choice to add what it has detected to the boot.ini. Response will be Y or N (yes or no)

Fixboot
    The Master Boot Record (MBR) is created when you create the first partition on the hard disk. It is very important data structure on the disk. The Master Boot Record contains the Partition Table for the disk and a small amount of executable code for the boot start. The location is always the first sector on the disk.

Disk read errors can occur if boot sector is corrupt. The fixboot command writes or rewrites the Partition Boot Sector which contains code that looks for NTLDR so the computer knows how to boot the computer and can start loading windows.

--------------------------------------------
    Please keep in mind that the above was never finished or received the final polishing it need's. Some thoughts may be disjointed, or are not organized in the manner they should have been. At this point, just use this as a spring board to further explore any issues or questions. I didn't even finish this and have not addressed or broke down the option #2 fix or a second possible cause of the error. This is that hal.dll is the root of the problem and is actually missing or corrupt. As previously stated this was my problem and the fix was replacing hal.dll. I never used option #1 to fix this but chose to use the easier possible option between the the two. If that had failed I would have then used the #1 option. I lucked out!

Speaking of which, I had a couple myself? Anyone know for sure if you delete the boot.ini, as directed by Kelly's posted fix, that it will be remade in total by the bootcfg /rebuild command? In the end and when I get the time, I will probably check this out for myself but I am hoping someone can save the time by supplying the answer. If not, I am will figure this out on my own. No big deal. Logic tells me that it will since a missing boot.ini is one of the reasons this is used but this an assumption and I sure would appreciate confirmation.

----------------------
    Member Opinion's please: I haven't even reread the text I posted. Got so tired of looking and editing the thing I have lost all perspective or judgement on whether this is helpful (as intended), understandable or even confuses or complicates the whole issue even more. Should I just remove this whole post and consider this a dead issue?

Last edited: 2005/07/05
  15. 2005/07/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Ann

Looks great to me on a cursory read - thanks for your time and effort on this :)

Just one point - there is no need to install the Recovery Console, just boot from the XP CD and hit R to start the Recovery Console at the Windows Welcome screen - as indicated at the bottom of that screen.
    Not for sure, but, like you, I would trust Kelly.

16. 2005/07/24
    adventure

adventure Inactive

Access denied when expanding hal.dll

I got the missing/corupt hal.dll file message when trying to boot. I booted from CD, tried option 2 solution - got into repair console and typed:
    expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
    after a few moments I got the message
    Access is denied

I have no system or administrator password set up on this machine.
    In repair console if I ask for a dir of C:\ it will not give me one.

Suggestions?????
    Thanks -
    Karen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.