1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Configure My Server Wizard missing

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by Ian Large, 2005/06/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/06/18
    Ian Large

Ian Large Inactive Thread Starter

Hi,
    I want to add Terminal Server to my Win 2003 server computer but all the instructions on how to do it refer to a "Configure My Server " Wizard in the Admin Tools of Control Panel. It is not there. If I search the help system for it I can find references with links but clicking the links brings up a screen which says it cannot run/open the file, it may not be installed etc etc.
    I have also checked the Add/Remove Windows Components and cannot find the Wizard or Terminal Services as an option to instsall.
    The Windows 2003 Server I have is Small Business Server and has exchange installed. (Anyone know how to turn that off? I use MDaemon on another PC.)
    I can access the Remote Desktop for Administration and need to add terminal server so that some other employees can access a few programs and files when out of the office.
    Any help or assistance would be greatefully received.
    Thanks
    Ian.

2. 2005/06/25
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Sorry you slipped through the carcks.

%SystemRoot%\system32\cys.exe

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/06/25
    Ian Large

Thanks for the help Scott but regrettably the above file does not exist in that folder of my server. Can I just get it from the installation CD with Expand etc? or what would you recommend.

If it helps, the Server is a DELL 800 supplied with the OS pre-installed by DELL. I guess they must have deliberately removed or not installed this file.
    When I set the server up I don't remember using that wizard though I have seen it on a Win 2K server I set up at home.

Cheers

Ian

5. 2005/06/25
    Scott Smith

Ian,
    I can E Mail you the file if you like. It's 750KB.
    Did the server ever have a virus?
    Did you search the entire drive including hidden files?

Also,
    Start/Administrative Tools/ Manage Your Server had these Properties.

%SystemRoot%\system32\mshta.exe res://%SystemRoot%\system32\mys.dll/mys.hta

6. 2005/06/25
    Ian Large

Configure My Server

Dear Scott,
    Yes, please e-mail the file to wbbs.001@cil-electronics.co.uk

No, the server has never had a virus. It's sat behind a Hardware Firewall and has SOPHOS AV installed (updated & scanned daily).

Yes I scanned the "C" Drive for the file cys.exe including hidden files.

The Server was NEW in January. I remember setting up the server settings, AD and DHCP but this was all done via Manage Your Server. I don't recall the Configure My Server wizard ever being there. I only went looking for it when I wanted to add the Terminal Server Option as directed by the help file and MS Knowledgebase. By the way, can I ADD Terminal Server without changing the way the server operates now?

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand the last part of your message. Is this the "properties" of Manage Your Server shortcut or what?

Cheers

Ian

7. 2005/06/25
    Scott Smith

Yep.

Chack your mail.

8. 2005/06/26
    Ian Large

Configure My Server - Gets Interesting

Hi Scott.

Thanks for sending the file. I put it in C:\Windows\System 32\ and then ran it.

I got the following error message.

"The Configure your server wizard is available only for the following operating systems:
    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition "

Obviously my Windows SBS 2003 does not count!

Here by the way is the text from the TARGET of the Server Management Shortcut:
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Administration\LaunchConsole.exe "

I guess MS could not be bothered to update their help files or KB to tell us that WSBS cannot configure it any other way.

What a waste of my time! And yours. Thanks for your help Scott, it's so nice to know there are people like you who will give their time and energy in helping "Learners" like me.

Cheers

Ian

9. 2005/06/26
    Scott Smith

Man I'm sorry. I didn't realise MS used a diffrent sheet of paper for SBS. :rolleyes:

I don't have access to a copy of SBS2003 so I'm no help.

10. 2005/06/26
    Ian Large

Configure My Server Wizard.

Never mind,

Thanks again. I'll leave the topic open for a while in case anyone else has any ideas.

Cheers

Ian

11. 2005/06/27
    windux

windux Inactive

Terminal Server is available on the Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter editions of Windows Server 2003. In Windows Small Business Server 2003, only the Remote Desktop for Administration mode is available. Only this mode is available because Windows Small Business Server 2003 always runs on a domain controller, and if you run Terminal Server on a domain controller, you may risk the safety of the server and the safety of your organization's sensitive data.

Here

Stop trying

Guys Terminal Services are not available in SBS 2003 :D

12. 2005/06/27
    Scott Smith

I hadn't even got that far yet. I was just trying to get his configure tool to work. :D

13. 2005/06/27
    Ian Large

Thanks to Windux and Scott.

I now know that Terminal Services cannot be installed on Windows Small Business Server 2003. Despite the help file and Microsoft's knowledgebase stating otherwise. It's a shame that MS can't make that clear to their trained people. I consulted with a MS techie MCSE, A+ etc who told me that I could purchase SBS2003 and install TS for remote access.

Windux, I followed the link to "Deploying Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server to Host User Desktops" page where I downloaded the white paper ADS_TermServ.doc. Even this states "By adding an additional server to your Microsoft® Windows® Small Business Server 2003 network, you can enable Terminal Server." and goes on to tell you how to do it. Getting to the point where the "Configure Your Server Wizard starts" on a SBS2003 machine.

Perhaps it's me but why can't MS give the correct version instead of lumping all the servers under the banner SBS2003.

Looks like I'll have to invest in another server and OS to run terminal services. Also if the quote "...if you run Terminal Server on a domain controller, you may risk the safety of the server and the safety of your organization's sensitive data." Why do they automatically create a Remote Access Group and Mobile Users Group? Surely these types of access are more vulnerable than the VPN access via a Firewall I have planned?

Cheers

Ian

14. 2005/06/27
    windux

windux Inactive

Ian Large,

Today a MS techie MCSE is not a person who knows everything from MS products but they need to be carefull for what they do and say.
    SBS2003 does not have Terminal Services for security reasons and the Remote Access Group and Mobile Users Group are there because we are talking about one DC server and that server must have all the groups and users right?
    Let's get to the point, the TS is great but not on the domain controller...
    I am very sorry about your problem. Try contact MS and get another version like MS windows 2003 standard edition. You do not need Exchange and if you do not need ISA, there are no reasons to have SBS2003.

Cheers,

15. 2005/06/28
    Ian Large

Dear Windux,

Sorry to have upset you, you sound upset in your reply. The POINT I was trying to make is that I took advice from a MS Professional Consultant. He did not know that the product did not do what I wanted, infact he told me it COULD! The Help file that comes with the product I bought gives advice on how to change that product and install other parts of it but you cannot do this as we have found out.

In the U.K. We call this very poor service.

I accept I now have to spend a lot of money buying another product. I know what to buy now, thanks to you and Scott.

Regards

Ian

16. 2005/06/28
    windux

windux Inactive

I was not upset. :)
    TKS for your kindness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.