1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer Slow to Boot and Files Corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ann, 2014/08/05.

1. 2014/08/29
    Ann

Ann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I do not get option to Extract All just Extract Files, Extract Here and Extract to Autoruns. I extracted Files and do not see any folder, just an icon but i do not have option to run as Administrator. I never use that, I show me as Owner and then a space to select another user.

Sorry that I do not understand this.

Most import is where to buy online..

Thanks

EDIT: Emo - I meant most important is where to buy online.

Also I do not know how to post a screenshot. I can take one on my computer but do not know how to post it.

Can I run program as owner?

Somehow I do not find the Edit button so had to post another reply.

Now I see the edit after the post. SORRY for changing your name.

Ann,
  2. 2014/08/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Select Extract Here to extract the contents of the zipped folder. Then just double click on the Autoruns program to run it once you open the regular folder.

When you are responding to a thread click on the Go Advanced button then scroll down and under where it says Attach Files select manage attachments and browse to the screenshot of the Autoruns program that you took. Then click the attach files button.

You can get a monitor like this one, Acer G6 Series G226HQLBbd Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Ann

That's excellent news! So glad that you were able to try out another monitor! Never come across a monitor causing that sort of problem before, but I guess there's always a first time :)

5. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Thanks Evan for your reply.

I hope you get the attachment.

Attached Files:

Ann,
  6. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Pete - I appreciate all your help. Now I just need to get a monitor. I imagine I need a VGA. Do you know if any other type will work on a ten year old computer?

Ann,
  7. 2014/08/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're welcome :)

Be sure to buy a monitor which offers a D-Sub connection - check the plug on your monitor lead at the monitor end to confirm it is D-Sub which I am sure it will be (see below) - the monitor Evan suggested has such a connection. Not sure if flat screens are designated VGA, SVGA, etc - I suspect not.

Attached Files:

8. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

In Autoruns remove the following items:

Apple Push
    Clone CD Tray
    Groove Monitor
    Quick Time Task
    SunKistEM
    Address Book 6
    Microsoft Outlook
    Eraser

Then reboot the computer for the changes to take effect. Let me know if the computer boots up any quicker.

Also what do you think of the monitor that I linked to in my previous post?

9. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Hi Evan - I was unable to remove two items (Address Book 6 and MS Outlook because autoruns says cannot find file specified - This may be because I have PrintMaster and Office installed on a partition.

Reboot took total of 4 minutes but I am missing the Security Icon. Do not know how to access it otherwise.

The monitor looks great as to the specifications you would be the one to tell me. The only problem I see is the base....here in earthquake country. I would like something more solid. Any suggestions?

Autoruns does not install anything on computer does it?

Thanks for your help. It is so very much appreciated.

Ann,
  10. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Pete - Thanks for the information. BTW, can I uninstall WinPatrol or do you suggest that I leave it. I have no intentions of adding any programs to my computer so what it shows is what will be and it is a lot like StartUpCop.

I have saved this thread for future reference.

Ann,
  11. 2014/08/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I would suggest you keep WinPatrol and dump StartupCop. WinPatrol notifies you of any items added to startup - as you saw with that Win 2000 driver and provides many other facilities. Your call :)

Autoruns is a run on demand program - nothing is installed.

12. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Thank you Pete. I will think about keeping WinPatrol.

BTW, is there any way to determine what caused the corrupted files? This is like a thorn in my side and is bugging me to no end. :confused:

Ann,
  13. 2014/08/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Basically no - had the hard drive not passed the extended test that would have been a good pointer to corruption, but as there were no issues there impossible to say.

Just be sure to keep a current backup of all important data on external media such as an external hard drive. I use SynchBackSE to back up my data hourly, photo files daily, etc to separate internal hard drives and have Acronis image the C:\ drive weekly. The image is backed up soon after creation to an external hard drive.

Good thing with SynchBack is that it will do incremental backups, i.e. only files that have changed or are new will be backed up following an initial full data backup. The free version works fine, the SE (paid) version has a few more bells and whistles which are by no means essential.

14. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

Which security icon are you referring to? Do you mean the Windows Security Center icon?

If you want a monitor with a bigger base then I would get this one, Acer H6 Series H236HLbid Black 23" 5ms (GTG) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LED Backlit LCD Monitor.

15. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Yes that is what I am referring to. How do I access it?

My hubby tells me because the monitor is enclosed when not in use the base should not be a problem and we sure can't beat the price. Also I do not want to go bigger.

Ann,
  16. 2014/08/30
    Ann

Ann,
  17. 2014/08/30
    Evan Omo

The monitor that you picked will be fine for your needs.

Regarding the Windows Security Center you access it by clicking Start< Control Panel< Security Center category and then the Security Center window will open.

Also I noticed in Autoruns that you have no security software loaded on startup. Is this true? What security software do you have installed?

18. 2014/08/31
    Ann

I will go ahead and order one.

Thank you. I always used the icon on the task bar.

No, Evan. I have MSE, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware as well as SpywareBlaster. I do not know how much longer any of these will be working (updated) for XP.

Ann,
  19. 2014/08/31
    Evan Omo

Well MSE will continue to work until 2015 but you are well aware that Microsoft has ended support for Windows XP back on April 8th 2014 correct?

20. 2014/08/31
    Ann

Yes. My machine has all the programs I use and want to use and I have everything just the way I want it. Win 7 will not run some of my programs, so I will keep XP.

Again, let me express my thanks to you and Pete for the abundant help you both have given me. :)

Ann,
  21. 2014/08/31
    Evan Omo

You are very welcome. I am glad your computer is running better and that both Pete and I were able to help answer your questions. :)

Also just for your own security you should consider moving off of Windows XP and using Windows 7 instead at some point since your computer could still get compromised by malware even if your security programs are up to date and are running in the background.