1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer Slow to Boot and Files Corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ann, 2014/08/05.

1. 2014/08/23
    Ann

Ann Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Pete - Should I then run WinPatrol and follow your instructions?

hawk22 - My computer was hot just referred to the fact that it was not a cold boot as I keep it on 24/7. No problem with heating that i know of.

Re: router - no recent change.

Ann,
  2. 2014/08/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes please.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/25
    Ann

The items I tried to disable gets a reply stating that it is currently active. Do I want WinPatrol to try to stop the program and remove it

I only recognize NVidia for graphics but I don't see one for the HD controller. Can it also be NVidia?

Ann,
  5. 2014/08/25
    Ann

I went ahead and disabled what WinPatrol would allow. Shut down computer and then turned it back on. It only took 3-1/2 minutes. However, I have a WinPatrol Alert stating that a new automatic Startup Program has been detected. NVIDIA compatible Windows 2000 Display driver. Oops, I clicked on Plus Info and lost the Window which was asking me to accept change or reject change. Oh my!

I will try to enable some of the programs as you suggested although WinPatrol has closed. :confused:

Ann,
  6. 2014/08/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

That sounds encouraging if your boot up time is back to normal and suggests that one of the startup items you disabled could be the cause of the problem. See if you can isolate it.

There may not be an entry for the HD controller, but it certainly will not be NVIDIA.

Don't remove any start up entries, merely disable where you can.

I guess the NVIDIA Compatible driver is OK - your system details don't give details of the graphcs card/chip. Speccy will tell you. Free version, download from piriform rather than filehippo.

7. 2014/08/25
    Ann

Pete - What should I tell WinPatrol to do re: the NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display Driver; Accept Change or Reject Change? Every time I boot this message comes up so I have to answer to get rid of it.

Good News - Re-enabling programs three at a time did not slow down computer.
    Each batch took between 3 to 4 minutes, except for the Event Reminder which took 5 minutes. I really need the event reminder running.

I am going to shut down and let it stay shut down for several hours and see what happens, but first I will await your reply.

BTW, I never shut down three items, 2 with respect to NVidia and 1 with respect to Apple.

Ann,
  8. 2014/08/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Accept the change and see and see what the outcome is - it can always be disabled through WinPatrol later.

9. 2014/08/26
    Ann

I think this is where we are now. What can we do next?

Ann,
  10. 2014/08/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Would it be right to assume that your boot time is now back to a few minutes as opposed 30 mins as originally posted? Are the files still 'corrupted'?

11. 2014/08/27
    Ann

Pete - i shut down for a couple of hours and computer never booted again. I can see the HD activity and then it stops BUT even though monitor is on I get nothing at all on the screen. The last thing I did was enable the Windows 2000 driver thru WinPatrol and then I shut down.

As far as my corrupted files, I replaced them all from my backups. I still do not understand what caused these corrupted files, but now I have a much bigger issue.

I have no monitor that I can borrow to test on the computer so I am faced with the expense of buying one, if that is the problem.

Any suggestions?

Ann,
  12. 2014/08/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The other way of determining if the monitor is at fault rather than replacing it is to connect it to another computer and test. You could consider connecting it as an external monitor to a laptop. If the monitor works on another computer it can be taken out of the equation and the finger points to the graphics chip/card.

Can you start the computer in Safe Mode? - basic Windows drivers are loaded and none of the specific drivers for your graphics chip/card.

If the monitor works in Safe Mode I would disable the Windows 2000 driver through WinPatrol. I don't understand how it got loaded in the first place and really don't know if it is an issue.

13. 2014/08/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I think I failed to ask a relevant question in this thread .....

When the monitor does not come on what is the state of the lights on it - green/blue for fully powered up or orange for standby.

14. 2014/08/27
    Ann

The light is steady green.

Ann,
  15. 2014/08/27
    Ann

No, I cannot start in Safe Mode because I do not see when to hit the F8 key. I have tried several times.

Last edited: 2014/08/27
    Ann,
  16. 2014/08/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Rather than wait for an indication to hit the F8 key just keep tapping the key from the moment you power up the computer.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed, not helped by the fact that I m not feeling too good at the moment.

I know that there are other ways of booting up using special disks, but those are outside my knowledge base.

I have asked another Staff member to look in on this thread in the hope that he may have some further ideas.

17. 2014/08/28
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Ann. After reading through this thread I am a bit unsure if you can boot the computer into Safe Mode at all.

You indicated earlier:

Then Pete asks:

You respond:

So you can't boot the computer into Safe Mode despite repeatedly pressing the F8 key? I am assuming you could boot into Safe Mode earlier when the computer was working and now you are getting a black screen on boot up correct?

Do you see the manufacturer logo when you first turn on the computer?

18. 2014/08/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The computer failed to bring up the monitor after after the OK was given through WinPatrol to load the Windows 2000 driver. Prior to that we had a display.

19. 2014/08/28
    Evan Omo

Got it Pete, Thanks.

I would perform a power cycle on the machine and see if that allows the computer to boot up properly.

Also do you hear any beeps when you power on the machine?

20. 2014/08/29
    Ann

Gentlemen - Glad to report some good news. Got a monitor to try on my system and machine booted both in Safe mode and in regular mode. Both ways the total time til monitor was completely up was four minutes. By that I mean all my icons and task bar icons were up.

What I do notice is that there is HD activity beyond the time that monitor is completely loaded. An additional 2 or three minutes both in safe mode and regular mode.

Pete - I tried to disable the Windows 2000 driver but it does not appear in the list that WinPatrol gives me. Why is that? Also noticed that there is a KernelFaultCheck which under Company shows "file does not exist ".

Emo - I would find it very difficult to follow your instructions due to the fact that my desktop is in a heavy cabinet and the connections and the location of the electric plug are extremely difficult to get to. In view of the progress, do you still think it is necessary?

So, I guess I need a new monitor. Can you suggest where to get one online? We are a bit over the hill and have no computer store that we can get to unless our daughter takes us, although that would be an alternative. Looking for the cheapest way. Also what monitor can you recommend. The old one was a MAG.

Thank you so very much for your attention to my problem. :)

Ann,
  21. 2014/08/29
    Evan Omo

I'd like to get a more thorough list of the items that are starting up with your machine.

In normal mode, please download Autoruns. After you download the zipped folder on your desktop, right click the zipped folder and click Extract All. After the folder has been extracted open the regular folder. Run the autoruns.exe program by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When you open the program click the Logon Tab and then post a screenshot of all the startup entries in your next reply.

No its not since replacing the monitor allowed the computer to boot successfully in both Safe and Normal Mode.

Yes I can recommend you a replacement monitor but what size are you looking for?