1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Computer Slow, Office Updates Fail to Install

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2016/07/09.

1. 2016/07/09
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Working on a friend's computer - HP Laptop Pavilion 1245, Windows Vista, 64 Bit.

Initial problem was Outlook 2007 that failed to recieve emails but would send. That's still a problem with Outlook but I have installed Thunderbird and it is working fine but the friend would like for me to fix the Outlook problem. As I was working with the unit, I noticed it was extremely slow and, at times, stopped responding. I ran Malwarebytes and it found about 70 instances of Malware including Yontoo and Condutuit. I also discovered that a couple of Microsoft Office security updates have been failing to install for several months - possibly the cause of the Outlook receiving email problem. I first took the issues to Broni in the Malware Forum first and he just designated the unit as clean.

I think the first issue I need to tackle is the update failure. I've done some Googling and didn't find anything that has worked. I have installed Microsoft's Update tool and tried downloading and installing the updates manually but that fails as well. Any suggestions?

2. 2016/07/09
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. Go ahead and follow my optimizing Windows Vista guide but you can skip steps 15-22 as those steps are for removing malware infections which broni has already done.

I will wait for you to post a screenshot of the Autoruns Logon tab so I can see what programs are running on startup. For the Office updates that are failing to install, are you given an error code after the installation fails? Does the computer have Windows Vista Service Pack 2 installed along with all the other current Windows Updates?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Outlook - did you go to his ISP's web site and very the email account setting are correct?

5. 2016/07/12

Steve - I did check the settings for the MRN website and checked to make sure of the correct settings - pop3.live.com (995) and smtp.live.com (25 or 587).

Evan,
    I got through the first few steps of the tutorial but I think step 6 has done me in. I have spent several confusing hours and I see so many warnings that I am fearful of doing anything. Also, it seems the key dialog boxes in the tutorial don't match what I am seeing on my monitor. So I think I will stop at this point. My friend is able to use Thunderbird so I think I will leave her using that and just hide the Office 2007 updates that fail to install. Thanks so much for trying to get me squared away.

6. 2016/07/13
    Evan Omo

Just use the Safe Configuration provided by Black Viper for the disabling of Windows Services and you should be fine. If you are not comfortable with the disabling of certain Windows Services then feel free to skip that step and move onto the next steps.

Was there another step in my tutorial where you were having any trouble?

7. 2016/07/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In the account settings - advanced tab-> "Use the following type of encrypted connection" is usually set to SSL. But you need to verify that with the ISP.

8. 2016/07/14

Evan and Steve,

Thanks for your help but I have decided not to spend any more effort on this unit. Access to the computer has been a bit of a problem and I have hit a few dead ends. Plus I have deadline looming that I need to address. So again, thanks for your efforts.

9. 2016/07/15
    Evan Omo

Ok fair enough. Thanks for letting us know. :)