1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Computer Opens in Previous Owner's Account

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2017/05/30.

1. 2017/05/30
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

A friend just received an HP Stream x360 Laptop(Tablet?) as a gift from the original owner. I created a new administrator account to set up Outlook and other things for my friend but the unit always opens to the original owner's account. I have to manually switch users for the Outlook to work.

Can I delete the original owner's administrator account or would I be undoing something integral to the computer's operation that I would regret?

2. 2017/05/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. Yes, feel free to remove the other administrator account as its not needed.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/30

Evan - thanks for the response.

I deleted the original owner's account and removed all the files, folders, etc. Now when I restart, I get a screen with a photo holder and to the right "Other user". Message says "The user name or password is incorrect. Try again". A box below has "OK" in it to click on. When I click "OK", it opens up a login screen with the old owner's user name and a box for a password - which I have.

To the right of the photo holder is a left pointing arrow which says "Switch user". If I click on that, I get two photo holder boxes - one has the name of the account I created and the other says "Other user". If I click on the account I created, I can log in and all is well. I would like to get rid of all the login, password, and other user agony for my friend. Any ideas

5. 2017/05/31

Update:
    I was able to get rid of the "Other User" account by using "Run, netplwiz". However, I can't seem to get rid of the password welcome screen. Under "User Accounts", the box "Users must enter a user name and password...." is unchecked. Any suggestions

6. 2017/05/31
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2017/05/31

I only have one account showing in the User Accounts screen - the administrator account I set up for the current owner. That problem is resolved. Now I am trying to get around entering the password each time the computer boots. The box regarding password required at sign in is unchecked. I don't know what else to do to get rid of it.

8. 2017/05/31
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Basically the same way you got rid of the other user.

Click on Start button > scroll down the Menu to Windows System > click to expand WS and scroll to > Run. (Press Windows Key + R key) In the Run box that opens type > netplwiz > OK. The User Account Menu appears and UNcheck the box - (Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer). OK and follow instructions to close out. Restart your comp for the change to take effect

9. 2017/06/01

Mr. Bill,

The box is already unchecked per my previous post. Perhaps if I checked it, restarted, and then unchecked it and restarted again - would that work?

10. 2017/06/01
    Evan Omo

11. 2017/06/01

Evan,
    The link you provided is for Windows 10. The laptop is a Windows 8.1. Also, the issue of deleting the previous owner's account has been resolved per previous post.

I am now dealing with the Welcome Screen password issue. Should I close this thread and open a new one dealing with the password issue?

12. 2017/06/01
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You should have marked this thread as resolved and started a new thread. As you can see by Evan's post. It can become quite confusing trying two solve two problems in one thread. Also if another member happens to have the same password problem. That member would not think to look at this thread because of it's title.

13. 2017/06/01

Thanks to all who responded. Sorry for the confusion. I will mark this one "Solved" and start a new thread for the password bypass issue.

14. 2017/06/04
    Evan Omo

Ok great. Thank you. :)