1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer name change with Win10 limited Faxes

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Barry, 2016/03/30.

1. 2016/03/30
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is an OS issue or a hardware issue, but I thought I'd start here and let you move me if I'm in the wrong place. After installing Win10Pro on my new SSD, I discovered my Brother All-in-1 would not send faxes to this drive (but would to my old hdd). I discovered the problem was the computer name had been changed without my knowledge, and my Brother wouldn't allow me to add a new computer name to choose from. I ended up changing my computer's name back to the old name, and now my faxes come through properly. I haven't noticed any other name issue, so far, but I thought I'd run it by this community to see if anyone might know of issues I might encounter in the future due to changing the computer's name. I'd rather fix any future potential issues now rather than find I can't do something when I'm facing a deadline. Thank you.

2. 2016/03/30
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

SQL Server will cough and choke if you change the computer name. Other than that, I've never had a problem.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/30
    Barry

Steve, thanks for your reply. How will I know if I have problems with my SQL Server, and how can I prevent or fix those problems? So far, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

5. 2016/03/30
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

SQL Server is a $7,500.00 piece of software... Do you have it installed?

If you change the name of your computer you'll get a real nasty looking error.... There are steps to fix it if needed.

6. 2016/03/30
    Barry

No SQL Server here. I guess I'm safe. I thought it might be a part of Windows. Changing the name was an easy fix for receiving faxes... Much more convenient than switching drives when a fax comes in. If anyone else knows of any other issues, please share.