1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Computer locking after short time

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by seventhdaybass, 2010/02/16.

1. 2010/03/04
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Use the same approach ... "Throw in shrugging shoulders and a smile for effect ". May want to change into your running shoes first! :):eek:

2. 2010/03/04
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I think I'm in need of a little bit of a clarification here. From what I'm reading, it seems that Dennis is under the impression that the computer is locking up. Meaning it quits responding to any and all input from you.

I took it that it's just locking itself. Meaning it was going to the logon screen and you had to put your username/password info in and log back on. Which is correct?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/03/05
    seventhdaybass

seventhdaybass Inactive Thread Starter

It goes to the logon screen and requires user name and password to log back on. What Dennis is trying to help me with is more than what anyone else is trying to help... so I'm going with it. It's not unheard of that an outside program is causing my computer to go to the logon screen is it?

In any case, I deleted a few programs I don't use and only left ones necessary for my projects and security... and it has stopped logging me off. I'm going to test it over the weekend. Let it sit idle and play movies and presentations and such and see what happens. Let's hope it was an error in a program causing it!

One of the programs that I did delete was that of a screensaver. That's the only one I can think of that would cause this.

5. 2010/03/08
    seventhdaybass

Well... I am still running into the same issue. Goes to logon screen even if I'm using the mouse at that exact instant. I haven't reformatted yet, I'll do that tonight as this weekend was crazy for me. I'll post tomorrow how everything goes.

6. 2010/03/08
    seventhdaybass

Alrighty... I've returned the computer to factory state using my Image file I created when I first bought the laptop. I'm playing with it but getting ready to head to bed. I'll play with it tomorrow to verify things are ok, but so far so good.

7. 2010/03/09

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

I was hoping when you uninstalled the screen saver, your problem would be resolved, but no such luck. Unfortunately it's removal, no change does not provide any more clues. Are we still pursuing a program conflict, a stuck setting / logon screen lock loop or something we just have not thought of.
    Glad your image restore taking computer back to day one was successful. If problem remains, it becomes Best Buy issue to fix. If it works, I would suggest to stay away from any 3rd party screen savers, they can be a tough companion to live with. My next concern would be your engineering program(s). My guess would be they are large, robust program. Not sure how well they port over to w7 environment. Hopefully you have a enough HDD storage you can create/store a fresh image file before each new program install. .. it's the easiest solution to reverse elusive problems.

Last edited: 2010/03/09
  8. 2010/03/09
    seventhdaybass

The programs on my laptop are not large at all... under 50MB each. I don't run CAD on my laptop, although the 2010 version of CAD is W7 compatible, I leave that work at the office. The screensaver was a dumb idea, I'll admit... it was the first one I've ever used and it wasn't that great...

Doing more playing with it tonight with nothing but Vipre Antivirus installed to see if problem continues. Hopefully not... but that's what my warranty is there for!

9. 2010/03/12
    seventhdaybass

FANTASTIC... I've been playing with it for a few days now since the format. It is working like a charm again!! Must have been one of them other programs I installed, or a corrupt file or something crazy...

Marking as resolved:
    To fix my specific issue. I simply ran the system restore disks that I created an image file on when I first bought the computer. Backed up all of my data to an external then reloaded all of my programs and data after the restore. I've got all of the programs on it now that I had on it originally when the problem was occurring except that danged screensaver program... the issue was apparent before the screensaver was loaded though, so I assume it didn't have anything to do with it.

10. 2010/03/12

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Good job, well done. :)
    It's unfortunate we will never know the real cause of the problem.
    If problem occurred prior to installing 3rd party screen saver it is hard to point fingers, but it's presence may have prevented a simple setting change/fix. With all your programs installed and system running great it's a good time to create/archive a image file.
    It's been a pleasure working with you ... please visit us often and share your skills / trouble shooting talents.
    Thanks