1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Computer Hanging up when opening functions

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by blakston6286, 2015/07/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2015/09/14
    blakston6286 Lifetime Subscription

blakston6286 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I tried downloading the fixexe after supposedly making the change for it to download onto my desktop and it did not go to my desktop it went right back where it always go ..to the downward pointing arrow up at the top of the Firefox window.

When it downloads to there I cannot run as administrator because that is not one of the options I am given when I right click on the file...

2. 2015/09/14

Auto run will not download and run...keeps asking me what service I want to use to open the file. I have tried every option and things just get more and more confusing.Now my screen is flashing and Internet explorer is stuck on stupid trying to open and getting closed down around every 3 seconds all on its own...It just keeps trying to open up and getting slammed down...very, very weird.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/09/14
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

When you go to download a file in Firefox is the download directory set to your desktop as I outlined in my previous post?

If not what is the download directory set to?

The FixExec program should have downloaded onto your desktop so if its not doing that then you need to set the download directory to the desktop folder.

5. 2015/09/14
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Could Carbonite be blocking some installations. I read it has a powerful firewall. Could it be set to a high restriction level? Do you need to allow certain programs to run?

6. 2015/09/14

This is a copy and paste of exactly where my options to download is set for in my Firefox...

C:\Users\DreamChamber\Desktop\Desktop

Last edited: 2015/09/14
  7. 2015/09/14

LJ 50...

I have had Carbonite for years and it has never stopped me from installing or downloading anything, so I don't think it has the function you mentioned. It has always just stored my files in the cloud but has not appeared to discriminate in any way good or bad.

It has not ever given me any notice asking me to verify or OK anything. It just does its thing in the background and until now I have had no problem regarding it.

8. 2015/09/15
    Evan Omo

The path should read: C:\Users\DreamChamber\Desktop. Any files that get saved using that exact directory will be saved on the desktop.

9. 2015/09/15

OK....I will eliminate that second desktop. It simply entered it like that when I clicked on browse and chose desktop, so even though it looked weird to me I thought that was the way it was supposed to be.
    I willtry it and get back to you.

10. 2015/09/15

OK I tried every way I could to eliminate the second word desktop and it will not let me do that.

Something else that may be an indicator of something wrong is....When I press Control Alt Delete I get a list of options.
    Yesterday I chose Start Task Manager and the Task Manager appeared.
    You know how there are about 5 tabs on top like Tasks, Processes applications etc.

Well as I am looking at the Task Manager window 'poof' the tabs disappeared and never came back..
    Even the red X to use for closing the Task Manager and the minimize and Maximize disappeared so I actually have to log off and then log back on to get rid of the task manager.

Now this has to mean something....

And I swear to you I have tried to eliminate the second DESKTOP and the blinking cursor will appear in the box but when I press BACKSPACE the cursor just stays put.

I have even tried to highlite the second desktop which i can do but when I press BACKSPACE or delete nothing happens.
    There are some serious problems here.

Nothing is working like it is supposed to.

11. 2015/09/15
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

12. 2015/09/15

OK I contacted Carbonite and they informed me that AVAST is not Carbonite friendly and
    Here is a copy and paste of their email to me. I did uninstall AVAST and my current problem disappeared SO. Please take account of this information and let Broni know that AVAST is Not a good anti anything for anyone who has Carbonite

Hello Aryan,

Thank you for your response. It seems that our previous emails may have been routed to your spam or junk mail folder by your email service. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Regarding the issue that you are experiencing, do you use Avast as your antivirus? A recent update to Avast has caused it to interfere with Carbonite, and produces crashes and errors like the ones you have described. It also seems that regardless of the settings in Avast, it causes this interference. Regardless of if you do or do not use Avast, we would be happy to troubleshoot the issue for you. It would be best to do this via remote session. Below is a phone number and case number to reference when you call. Feel free to use our online chat if you would prefer.

Resolving your issue is a priority for us. If we do not hear back from you in a few days confirming that your issue is resolved, we will send a follow up email. We will leave your case open until further notice to ensure that we have resolved all of your Carbonite-related issues. If your issue is resolved, please respond to this e-mail with the word "Resolved. "

Case Number:

For phone support, please call us at 877-222-5488 (617-587-1100 if calling from outside of the United States) between the hours of 8:30 am and 9:00 pm ET (excluding U.S. holidays). For chat support, please click the following link: Contact Us.

Sincerely,
    Alex S.
    Carbonite Customer Care
    The Better Backup Plan.

It pays to share! Earn up to

Last edited: 2015/09/15
  13. 2015/09/15

I did do a remote session with Jacob at Carbonite and he made sure AVG was Carbonite friendly even though I have had no problems with it regarding well.....anything and Jacob got Carbonite working exactly as it should be with no further glitches or irritating side effects. And Oh Yeah!! that Microsoft notice that kept popping up every three minutes shutting down Carbonite has not appeared since I uninstalled AVAST.....

AVAST...not a good program....

14. 2015/09/15
    Evan Omo

Well that's good to know that you resolved one of your problems with Avast and Carbonite.

Now, can you download programs to your desktop or not? If you can't then change the download directory to C:\Users\DreamChamber\Desktop\Downloaded Files. You will need to create a new folder on your desktop and call it Downloaded Files. Then change the download directory in Firefox to the Downloaded Files folder that you just created on your desktop and see if you can now successfully download files to it.

15. 2015/09/15

OK will do ....In fact I already anticipated a go around and changed the destination to an already existing folder on my desk top named DOWNLOADS.

Just a footnote. My computer is now running fast and smoothly....I did another anti-rootkit scan with AVG and the threat that was considered part of the Operating system I wrote to you about in my previous comm... has now disappeared.
    So I would REALLY, REALLY like to see none of you recommend AVAST in the future because it is a Malware. Deleting Avast is the only action I have taken since all this started and as I look back throughout the cleaning process things were going just fine Until I started running Avast. It even prevented me from reinstalling AVG. But I found a way around that.

My computer has been active for 3 hours now and NO sign of that irritating Microsoft notice that kept shutting more and more programs down.

My computer issues are nonexistent now in all areas once I simply purged my system of AVAST.

Now all I have to do is restore the tabs that disappeared from the top of my Task Manager. Is there a way to reinstall a Task Manager? Cause the tabs are still gone. Although I can click on switch and it minimizes the Task Manger to the bottom task bar. Still won't let me close it without logging off but at least there is some improvement.

16. 2015/09/15
    SpywareDr

Wikipedia: Avast (software company)

17. 2015/09/15

So.....according to you we should continue to use a flawed and corrupted invasive product because you can't change your outlook with proper documented facts...

It is illogical, unreasonable and flat out untrustworthy to declare that numbers of users and employees are any refutation of a proven fact. that AVAST is a corrupted system that downloads Malware onto computers ...IN THE OPERATING system.
    I am living proof they do that. My computer problems disappeared with the uninstallation of AVAST.. It even dissolved the Operating System malware that attached it to my anti root kit.

Facts is facts...Especially when they are verified and proven. That is just good science.

I am honestly very surprised that you are so biased in a situation that calls for complete and total truth in fact. That is junk science.

Your statistics mean absolutely NOTHING.

We are done.
    You are not someone I can trust to fix anything since you chose to ignore document-able and demonstrated fact at the peril of me and other users.

18. 2015/09/15
    SpywareDr

19. 2015/09/15

Don't be absurd...Read the letter to me from Carbonite and go ahead and refute that with proven document able facts ...to the contrary instead of a personal attack on my integrity.

Wake up!!!! You are supposed to be helping people. Ignoring the truth is irresponsible and dangerous to those you come in contact with.
    You are so impressed with your position you can no longer champion the truth.

"When someone has the ability to make others believe in absurdities then they have the power to create great injustices" VOLTAIRE

20. 2015/09/15
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I'm going to close this thread before it gets worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.