1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

COM1 versus SERIAL PORT

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Dodge53, 2002/01/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/09
    Dodge53

Dodge53 Guest Thread Starter

Is the COM1 the same as SERIAL PORT? Is there a way to test the SERIAL PORT and COM1 or COM2? I have tried with two different printers and can't get either to work, they work when connected to the PARALLEL Port and set to LPT1, (they can be set to either serial or parallel), but when connected to the SERIAL Port and either COM1 or COM2, I get nothing. I remember doing this before, but can't remember exactly what I did.:confused:

2. 2002/01/09
    Cliffh

Cliffh Inactive

COM and Serial ports are the same port. Two names for the same hardware.

Been a very looooonng time since I've seen a serial port printer. I know you can set the port the printer uses (in the printer's properties) to use a COM port, but, can these printers actually physically connect to the serial port via the printer cable?

If they can, you might want to check the CMOS settings for the two COM ports, make sure they're set to use a specific address but not both using the same address (of course ;) ). Having them set to Auto can sometimes confuse Windows.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/09
    Dodge53

Dodge53 Guest Thread Starter

I use a gender changer that allows the cable to plug in. I don't remember having to check CMOS, but thanks, I'll try that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.