1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved CODEC problems ??

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Tony King, 2016/12/26.

1. 2016/12/26
    Tony King

Tony King Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have four old .avi files which up to now in XP Explorer have displayed the first frame as a thumbnail. Now three of those files have only a simple AVI icon instead of the thumbnail, and in my video editor they have a marker indicating wrong or missing (audio?) codec, which will play but with no audio.

I also use the WinAVI video converter which has always worked before but now results in files with the same problem.

If I play those files with Windows Media Player there is no audio, and in my Video Editor I get the video track but no audio track and if I ask it to select a codec it says there aren't any suitable. Also, if I use WinAVI to produce a .wmv file it is complete with audio.

This seems to suggest a problem with Windows, but what?

2. 2016/12/26
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Tony King. It sounds like you have a missing codec for AVI files. Download and install the K-Lite Codec Pack Standard and make sure to decline any extra offers in the installation wizard as they are not needed.

Reboot the computer after the installation completes and then you should be able to double click on your AVI files and they will open up in Windows Media Player.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/27
    Tony King

Tony King Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Many thanks Evan. I've just been flogging away reloading old backups, to no avail. However, I have followed your advice exactly, and BINGO!! all problems solved!! I had difficulties working out which was the true download and which wasn't, but I got there in the end.

There's nowhere like WindowsBBS for fixing problems!! Thanks again.

5. 2016/12/27
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

You are welcome. :)