1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Clean Up Files

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by joe645, 2022/01/24.

1. 2022/01/24
    joe645

joe645 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am trying to get rid of duplicate files. I am finding these duplicates on 2 different HDDs and over 100,000 of them. I am not sure just how to safely remove what I don't use anymore and do it automatically with whatever software is recommended.

2. 2022/01/25
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Did you put the files there or did Windows?

If you're running Disk Cleanup - it should be OK to remove what it finds.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2022/01/25
    joe645

I have run various disk cleanup programs and none of them do the job. I don't know how the files got duplicated. My C;/drive which has my OS on it. The E:/Drive has a lot of software on it but I did notice it also has Windows and other duplicate files of C:/drive. I have used trial Clone File Checker to discover this but don't know what files to keep and what to delete.

5. 2022/01/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

And it'd be very tuff for us to give you info without knowing the names of the folders and if they are in use.

In theory, there should only be ONE Windows folder and it should be on the C:\ drive. Did you use any type of disk backup or cloning software to clone the C drive?

6. 2022/01/26
    joe645

Not that I am aware of. The last time, I had the CPU reparied the tech installed a few C:/Drive (500mb SSD) and the E:/Drive (HDD). I know he had to reinstall windows after the repair and I had to reinstall my softtware after that. Since my C:/ was the smaller of the 2, I decided to install my programs on the E:/Drive leaving the OS on C:/ along with other important files. I'm just going to take the time to view each drive side by side and remove what I see as a duplicate file, especially the windows folder on E:/Drive

7. 2022/01/26
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have seen horror stories about cleaning up thing like duplicate files and files I don't think that I need. Bricked the OS and had to start over. Lost a lot of important stuff from lack of backups.