1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Chrome Crashing even after now profile created

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by cspgsl, 2015/02/21.

1. 2015/02/21
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

Chrome started crashing today so I created a new profile. After about 30 minutes the same thing happened.

I ran chrome://conflicts and there were none. Scanned the computer for malware and nothing was found and there are no extensions installed

Where else might I look for the problem ?

Thanks

2. 2015/02/21
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

See if you have the same problem with a different browser.

Malwarebytes noted a problem with Chrome x64 40.0.2214.111m and MBAE.

Last edited: 2015/02/21

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/02/22

Running Version 40.0.2214.115 m
    Other browsers are working fine

5. 2015/02/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try uninstalling completely and reinstalling.

6. 2015/02/23

Ran Revo Uninstall, restarted and downloaded a new copy - it didn't help.

7. 2015/02/23
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Try a clean boot and have absolutely nothing running but Windows and Chrome. If the problem goes away, there is a conflict with some other app, regardless of whether it is listed using chrome://conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

If you are using MBAE (MalwareBytes Anti Exploit) or Avast! with Chrome v40 64 bit, be aware some users are reporting conflicts. The 32 bit version of Chrome may be less troublesome.

You can type chrome://crashes into your location bar and press Enter to get a list of the crashes and when they occurred. The information may give some clue as to the cause.

8. 2015/02/23

Not to be out is the cold my win 8 laptop has the same problem

Wondering if sync has anything to do with it

9. 2015/02/23
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

One way to deal with a problem of this nature is to use another browser until updates to the conflicting app, Chrome or Windows resolve the problem for you. You may even find that you like the alternative better.

Anything in this thread apply?

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=455647

Last edited: 2015/02/23
  10. 2015/02/24
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Another option is to change Chrome Release Channels. I use the Dev Channel. Had an issue with random crashes a couple versions ago and switched to the Stable Channel. Back on the Dev Channel again and all is well. You could try switching to the Beta or Dev Channel and see if the issue still occurs.
    http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

11. 2015/02/24

I tried the Dev Channel but while it didn't crash it started sucking up memory (10 million k +) which rendered the machine inoperable until I killed the process.

Going to try the beta release

12. 2015/02/24

I use all the browsers in web development. Moved from Fx to Chrome as Fx was bloated and slow compared to Chrome.

I was actually looking at IE again as it seems to be running well. Waiting with some interest in the new browser in Win 10

13. 2015/02/24
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Wonder if you have looked at Pale Moon, the fork from Firefox developed and distributed by Dutch developer M.C. Straver. PM does not use the Australis interface, and there are no specialized accessibility features or integration of Windows' parental controls. Straver has also stripped out WebRTC, maintenance service, integrated pdf viewer, social API, tab groups, crashreporter and telemetry gathering to achieve a leaner product. The download is half the size of Firefox.

Most of the available Firefox extensions and plugins are compatible. A migration tool imports from Firefox, but not from Chrome. You can do a Chrome to Firefox migration and then use the PM tool to move your bookmarks and settings.

Pale Moon is updated regularly but does not follow the continuous updating that has come into favor. The goal is to maintain consistency and test thoroughly.

http://www.palemoon.org/

One other thing you can try is to disable the version of flashplayer built into Chrome and use the external downloaded version. That seems to improve things on some systems.

14. 2015/02/24

Thanks
    PM sounds like a look see

15. 2015/02/25

seems like the beta channel is working - been up for a few hours now

16. 2015/02/25
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Good news. Glad to hear it.

17. 2015/02/26

I see that I have 11 instances of Chrome running in Task Manager. Is this normal?

I also find that it is slow to react to mouse clicks when the window comes into focus.

Attached Files:

18. 2015/03/01

I am now thinking that I should be declaring Chrome dead...

My machine was starting to slow down so I bit the bullet on Friday night and reformatted installing a Win 8 Pro license that I had gong spare.

I installed all updates and then installed Chrome. I didn't sign into my Chrome account and let it sit. It too about 7 or 8 minutes for it to crash.

I am installing the beta channel to see what happens with it.

19. 2015/03/03
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

20. 2015/03/04

I can echo the sentiments of the post in the link. I had returned to Fx for my working browser, only opening Chrome to test a new page however, only this morning I am noticing a distinct change in Chrome as being stable and not slowing or freezing on a mouse click.

I am running the beta Version 41.0.2272.74 beta-m (64-bit) but I must admit, I don't know if it has been updated from when I first installed the beta channel last Thursday. I am assuming it updates automatically.

I have changed the default back for the morning to see what happens.

21. 2015/03/04
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

You are obviously not alone in this, and I have to believe a fix will appear in time, so there is nothing that needs to be done to your system. I'm inclined toward the theory that there is a mismatch between display rendering in Windows 8 and the way Chrome handles it. The fact that Chrome is always running in the background is interesting. With the leading market share by a mile, the problem has to be recognized and fixed by one side or the other. Nothing to do but keep watching for new information and have a fallback browser. Lots of good comments about IE 11 lately, but share still falling for IE in general.