1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CDSETUP.exe

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hollinm, 2004/01/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/28
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I'm not sure but let's rename it again.

Right click on config.sys.mjh and select rename.

When the name highlights hit your delete keyboard key.

The name type-in space should, now, be totally blank.

Now, type config.sys and hit enter.

Confirm yes on the little message popup that warns "Are you sure, changing the name.. blah blah ". (These are not the exact words but close...).

======
    Did it work? The icon should be a white sheet of paper looking kinda-thingy with two gear symbols in the middle.

2. 2004/01/28
    hollinm

hollinm Inactive Thread Starter

Att: goddez1

I followed the instructions as you suggested. After I deleted the old name and typed in config.sys and pressed enter. Nothing new happened. The same file name shows i.e. config.sys.mjh. No message came up with a warning. The icon is still the notepad one. No white sheet of paper looking icon.
    Any other suggestions.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/28
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Now I see what is going wrong with the renaming.
    Hollinm, open Windows Explorer, on the Toolbar, go to View, then Folder Options. In the new window that appears, click on the View tab. Look in the white box, look for this entry "Show all files ", and select it, then Apply then Ok.
    Now rename config.sys.mjh to config.sys.
    With the file extensions hidden for known file types, you were unable to get rid of the MJH at the end, you should now be able to.
    The MJH must not be there, it should look as it appears in bold above, with only one period in the name.

NOTE: When done correctly, you will get a message warning about changing file types, this is exactly what you want to do.

Did you select to open that file with Notepad, and leave the checkbox selected so all you do is double click on it and it opens in Notepad? If yes, by doing so, you have turned the MJH extension into a known file type, so the last three letters [the file extension] were invisible.

BTW, if you were to open Autoexec.bat, and put the following line at the very top before anything else, then save it, you will not see any more messages like[PATH=blah blah] coming from it when booting. It will work normally this way.
    @echo off

5. 2004/01/28
    hollinm

Att:markp62

I made the change in view/show all files.
    I can rename as suggested but I am a little confused about the line that say MJH must not appear there. I should appears in bold above. config.sys.mjh is the item in bold. Is it the other file name that should be in bold. What do you mean only one period in the name?
    goddez1 suggested I should set up another file and copy and paste etc and then move to root c. I assume from your instructions I can make the change to the existing file on drive c.

Pls. clarify.

6. 2004/01/28
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

That was a simple typo on my part. I corrected it.
    The period is a signal that what follows is a file extension. When you have two periods in the name, you have a double extension. But it is the last one that counts. You cannot have a proper Config.Sys file with MJH or anything else but SYS at the very end.

7. 2004/01/28
    hollinm

markp62

I will rename the config file that is located in on drive c currently as config.sys.mjh to config.sys (no period after the second s)

Was the line that starts BTW meant for me. Is this what I put in the first line of the autoexe file

8. 2004/01/29
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Why not try this idea.

If there is no file named EXACTLY {b]CONFIG.SYS[/b] in the root folder of the C: drive they are not being used anyway. DOS will not use anything else.

If there is no DOS software being used and using the fact that Windows 98 does not need a config.sys

If you have floppy drive and an empty floppy.

Open Windows Explorer.

Using the Control Key highlight each and EVERY config.xxx flie in the Root folder of C:

Using the right Mouse button drag and drop ( MOVE ) them to the floppy.

Or copy them and then delete them from the C: drive. If they will not delete or give you error messages then there is a DOS problem not Windows.

Now restart Windows.

If ANY problems occur look for a DOS PROGRAM to be giving you problems.

Windows itself does not use or need the Config.sys OR the Autoexe.bat.

I myself have a Config.sys on all of my Windows ( even XP PRO ) because I do have DOS programs and XP was but in overtop of 98SE. And one of them needs Himem.sys.

And below is all that they contain.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    FILES=50
    BUFFERS=30

I gotta go back thru this psot and check something. But I believe I saw a config.file that showed what MIGHT be a Dual boot setup. It did not look like a normal DOS/Windows config.sys.

Be back in a bit. ( gotta get another cup af coffee first ).

BillyBob

9. 2004/01/29

BillyBob Inactive

This is what I found posted by hollinm And of course it is wrong anyway. ( completely the wrong order of things and won't work anyway )

[common]
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmemff
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

goddez1 posted a proper cleanup up of it.

Seing the word COMMON I believe points to the fact that at one time or another there has been a dual boot setup on the machine. At at least more than one OS. I have never seen the word COMMON in anything less than a Dual boot setup.

BB

10. 2004/01/29
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi BillyBob,

I don't think it was dualboot. That config looks like some kind of modification from one that was in the directory Dosboot which is used for the convenience of making a bootdisk from a c prompt with a call to a bat file. Much like win98's capability of making one from the c:\windows\command directory which uses the "ebd" folder file.

I advised the renaming of the config.mjk, which was already in c root because of the difficulty in getting the scanner installed correctly. The directions seemed to indicate it uses the autoexec.bat and config.sys for something. I got the impression that the scanner and the setups are a tad old possibly meant for win95 or win3x but win98 compatible.

I see no harm in having the config.sys there (whether it is used or not) and since this is an older computer with untold older applications it may be needed by other things as well as the scanner, or may be needed later by something else.

Last edited: 2004/01/29
  11. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

Have received some communication both from markp62 and BillyBob which is in conflict.
    Based on our last communication I have been able to change the name of the file within the Aholder file, copied and pasted it into root c: and when I run sysedit I can get access to config.sys which I was not previously able to do to ensure I do it right.
    I have not changed the contents of the config.sys file. You suggested I should consider doing this. Is this still the case. If so, pls. repeat exactly what you want me to do.
    ======
    Can I delete the Aholder file and the config.sys.mjh which still remains on the system.
    =========
    I intend to uninstall the scanner; the uninstall feature is in my programs under the file of Microtek Scanner. I would then reload it and update the drivers. What do you think of this idea?
    Markp62 suggested that I change the autoexec.bat file by typing in @echo off. Do you agree this is a good idea?

12. 2004/01/29

BillyBob Inactive

if the config.sys reads as below YES change it to what is recommended by goddez1

[common]
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmemff

If it is as shown above it is USELESS and will not work anyway.

However I would recommed the below.

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40

Although the suggestion by markp62 is a good one I would leave the Autoexec.bat as is for right now.

Lets work on one thing a at a time. The @echo off just stops thiings from showing up on the screen. I myself do not have it in the Autoexec on any machine so that I can see what is happening during boot up. ( personal preference there )

BillyBob

13. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

Att: BillyBob

Can I just copy what you put in the last thread, go into sysedit, pull up config.sys file, highlight and delete what is there presently and then paste what you suggested ?
    What you are suggesting is slightly different than what goddez1 suggested. By making the changes you suggested is there any disadvantages that could happen because of the changes you recommend versus goddez1.

14. 2004/01/29

BillyBob Inactive

Yes is is different ( intentionally )

I left off the TESTMEMOFF and the NOEMS on purpose

And there sre no disadvantages. When trying to get things fixed up it is best to leave off everything that is not needed. And work with the BASIC setup first.

BillyBob

15. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

Att: BillyBob

I agree. Can I proceed the way I suggested so that I can replace the existing config.sys file. I just want to be sure I do it right.
    As you can tell I get nervous when I'm playing around with these types of files.

16. 2004/01/29

BillyBob Inactive

Can I proceed the way I suggested so

I see no reason why not.

BB

17. 2004/01/29
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yeah....

You now have a config.sys. :D

To clean it up, you'll need to do some text editing "selection and cutting ", "copy and pasting ". Most of this will be done using sysedit to open and work with your config.sys file.

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

The above bolded text is the stuff we want to put into the config.sys.

But first we have to erase all the old text out of config.sys. You'll need both this IE window open and your sysedit window open. You'll be working with both alternately.

To do this you will open "Sysedit" and bring the config.sys file forward so you can work with. In other words click on the pane entitled "config.sys" The mouse cursor should be pulsing away in it.

Now we need to erase the text that is there. To do so...
    From the toolbar on the top of sysedit that has the words "Files, Edit, Search, Window ",

*Hit "Edit "

*From the menu that drops down:Hit "Select all ". All the text in the config.sys file should now be highlighted.

*Going to the toolbar uptop again: Hit "Edit "

*From the menu that drops down:Hit "clear ". All the text in config.sys should be now be gone.

Now we need to copy the bolded text so we can paste it into the config.sys file....

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

While holding your left mouse button run it across the bolded text (above) only, untill all of it is highlighted.

From IE's toolbar uptop hit the "edit ".

From the menu that drops down: Select "Copy ".

Now going back to "sysedit" and your config.sys file...

From sysedits toolbar uptop:

Select "Edit "

And from the Dropdown: Select "paste ". The bolded text that is here and you have copied, should now be in your config.sys.

Close the config.sys by hitting the X in the upper right hand of the config.sys file. A popup will ask if you want to save the changes. Select yes.

Close sysedit and the deed is done.

==========
    :D I see I spent to long typing this out. You guys have been busy ironing out other plans. The modifications are good and not harmful. The testmem switch is not needed.

hollinm...Your driving me nuts...:D I never know how to respond to you with the instructions I post. On one hand you sound confused on the basic How-Tos and request or seem to need a broken down "step by step" and then you come back with threads such as your last couple, where it sounds like you'd have no problem doing the above procedure. I certainly don't have a problem supplying the "step By steps" but it would help save time if I knew whether you needed them or not.

By the way the above was written light heartedly, being tickled at the paradox. I just had to turn the smiles Off in this thread because of the text in the bolded config.sys, otherwise where :D is seen there would be a green smile for ya'.

18. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

Thank you for the very clear directions. It is done and the info you suggested has been put in the config.sys file. BillyBob suggested some other modifications. I could make these changes as well based on the clear instructions you provided. Do you agree?
    ===========
    What do you think of my intentions with the scanner that I outlined in a previous thread this morning. Rather than reloading it I would simply uninstall it. It was for Win95 and should probably be replaced with a more up to date scanner.

19. 2004/01/29
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

The changes suggested such as leaving the "testmem" switch off himem, is not harmful.

The switch would only be useful to someone who was using it to troubleshoot problems and knew the difference between when it was being used or not used.

As for "Noems" on the emm386 memory manager.....
    EMM386 switches are not needed unless used by those who understand how to load drivers into upper memory rather than conventional, or feel a need to squeeze or free all available memory down to the last drop.

Switches are used to overide what is considered a defaulted setting or when a certain setting needs to be set in a very particular way.

I don't picture you as a tweaker or customizer who going to be experimenting or making all kinds of adjustments to your systems configuration, so once again the switches aren't needed (at least in most cases: guesstimate 98%)

========
    Now to the scanner issue.......

Be back in bit got to run out for while.

20. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

If I have trouble finding the root c: and cutting, pasting etc. I sure as heck am not a tweaker and customizer. I want to have the system come on in the morning, lett me surf the internet, send e mails and the basics; that's it :)

21. 2004/01/29
    hollinm

I just saw your comments at the bottom of the long thread you provided. You know the old saying a little knowledge can be dangerous. I am nervous about doing this kind of stuff and am not entirely sure how to do all the steps in order to accomplish what needs to be done. Part of the trouble is I do not understand all of the terms and computer jargon well enough. So I do need the step by step directions which you were so good to provide. I know enough that when you give these step by steps I can do it and have confidence I am not screwing things up.
    I am not trying to drive you nuts. One good thing is the config.sys file is ok now. Now for the scanner which was the original problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.