1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CDSETUP.exe

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by hollinm, 2004/01/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Open it in notepad so we can see what it says.

You have no other config.anything?

I assume you do have your folder view settings set to show system and hidden files and show extentions. If not follow instructs:

Make sure you have the ability to view hidden files by adjusting preference options in....
    1>Click on My Computer icon or if in explorer>toolbar>view
    2>click on toolbars "View" category
    3>click on "Folder options "
    4>click on "View" Tab:
    5>and scroll to the [Hidden Files] section and enable or disable the options below by unchecking or checking as designated:
    "Do Not show hidden files "=unchecked
    "Do not show hidden or system folders "=unchecked
    "Show all Files "= checked
    "hide file extensions for known files "=unchecked

2. 2004/01/26
    hollinm

hollinm Inactive Thread Starter

Att: goddez1

I have made the changes to the view folders. They are now as you suggest but the weren't.
    How do I open it in notepad?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/26
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Lot's of ways:

Hold your shift key down and while rightclicking on the file the option OPEN WITH shold be available. If you select this a popup appears where you can scroll thru a list or browse and designate a file if the one you want is not on the list. Make sure the "Always use this program" box is not checked "

You can also add a notepad shortcut to you rightclick context menu in the "Send To" section. Just use any notepad shortcut you have, rightclick on and copy it.

From the start button
    scroll to the run line and type sendto

This open your sendto folder. Rightclick in it and select paste. close it and from now on you will have that option available on a rightclick "Send to" submenu.

Or as previously suggested put a shortcut to notepad on your desktop. You can then left click drag and drop the config.*** file onto the shortcut and it will open in notepad.

Actually I think even if you double click on config.sys the "open with" dialogue box will popup anyway but this is a bad habit to form as it can be risky dependant upon the file.

==============
    hollinm,

Your going to hate this but I have to go. I'm still at the office and my husband is foaming at the mouth, mumbling something about needing to go home NOW so he can get some sleep. I will have to continue this tomarrow. Or another may wish to pick up the ball and continue. As much as I would like to see this to the end I have to go....... darn it!

By the way you may be able to catch that message on bootup by hitting your Pause keyboard key. Timing will have to be just right. To unpause just hit any key.

Last edited: 2004/01/26
  5. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

Thank your for spending all the time you have with me today. I was dreaming about it and so I am now looking at it a 3:00am.
    When I booted the computer just now the boxes showing the original message ie cannot find CDSETUP.EXE did not come up. Go figure. I don't know what we did. However, the message about the scanner is still there when it is loading and I will try to pause it and send you what it says to see if it provides any clues and we can get rid of it.

6. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

I have now been able to read that message when the system is first booting. It is on the bottom of the screen below the info on the virus scan. It reads as follows:

C:\>Set Path=C:\Windows;c:\windows;c:\windows\Command;c:\Windows\Twain_32\Scanwiz;c:\windows\Twain\Scanwiz

Does this mean anything to you?

7. 2004/01/27
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

That is not the one you need. That is a backup that the install program makes.

You needed the actual CONFIG.SYS and either delete or remark out the line thet the below put in.

NOTE Section stating "When installation is complete, the Microtek ScanWizard for Windows group is created and the CONFIG.SYS file is modified accordingly.

Maybe goddez1 can help me here. I do not understand why a reference to the scanner needs to be put in the config.sys UNLESS the scanner is used in DOS. Windows itself does not need the config.sys.

hollinm

You should see the CONFIG.SYS it the root folder of C:/ You should be able to right click on it and open it with Notepad. You may or may not get a warning message about editing it. but you need to edit it anyway.

I am in Windows XP and I just did the above and it worked.

I think that message is coming from the Autoexec.bat. At least I HOPE that is not in the config.sys as it does not belong there.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2004/01/27
  8. 2004/01/27
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

C:\>Set Path=C:\Windows;c:\windows;c:\windows\Command;c:\Windows\Twain_32\Scanwiz;c:\windows\Twain\Scanwiz

Am I correct in my thinking that the path line above points to both Windows ( c:\windows\Twain_32 ) and a DOS { C:\Windows\Twain ) Set of files for the Scanner ?

And the DOS side is messing things up. ( config.sys problem points to that I think )

BillyBob

9. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

Went to sysedit and it will not let me open config.sys which I think you said was ok in Windows.
    Att: BillyBob and goddez1

The Autoexec.bat window which is under sysedit has the following in it:

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\NETWOR~1\VIRUSS~1\40~1.xx\scanpm.exe
    C:\IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE

and below the above the following:

SETPATH=%PATH%;c:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\Scanwiz;C:\WINDOWS\Twain\Scanwiz

Have no idea what all of the above means.

When I went to the root C and type in the file name config.sys it was in the folder C:\dosboot and was a system file. I did not see it when I did my computer and clicked the c drive.

I opened it with notepad but did not understand what I should be looking for. There was not much info in the config.sys file. Is that the way it's suppose to be?

10. 2004/01/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi once again hollinm,

I see you have found a config.sys, but it is in a folder called dosboot. I did a search and the possible conclusion that I came to was that on some computers a folder is made that allow you to make dosboot disks. These are disks like win98 emergency bootdisks that when used will boot the computer to the dos prompt. It would have all the system files it needed to make such a disk. Does it have a file in it called dosboot.txt? Is there a file called dosboot.bat, boot.bat or something similar. I forgot the exact bat name? This would confirm that guesstimate. If this is the case that config.sys should stay where it is cause it will be more suitable for dosmode environment rather than win98's.

Not being able to open config.sys would be normal if there is no c: root config.sys to open. I believe you have no system config.sys at this point. It was renamed config.mjh, as a backup, by somebody or something unknown. What happed to the original config.sys? I have no idea, I could think of a few reasons but guesses would be all that they could be. I'm hesitant to tell you to go ahead and rename this config.sys because I still don't know what's in it.

Relax a bit. Keep in mind that config.sys and autoexec.bat aren't really even needed by win98 but remain for compatibility with older 16 bit programs or devices that may need realmode drivers or special parameters and for the user/owners commands, demands and settings. They may have lots of things loaded or be blank and anything in between. Problems only happen when what is there is bad or wrong or something that should be there isn't. My concern was that they will be needed someday or were needed by your scanner.

I see your original error is gone. Perhaps the install finally completed. Maybe due to the reboots or cold startups. If not the scanner will let make sure you know about it....:D

The path statement during bootup is a normal. What your seeing are return calls from the autoexec.bat commands during bootup. The bat is loading Mcaffees command line tool and setting the pathline. The only thing I question here is the double entry for c:\windows but this is no big deal for now.

=======
    So if your bootup is cleared up and your scanners working and Mcaffee is functioning as it should, the config.sys is the only hold over. Once again I need to know what's in it. If it's safe it can be renamed. If it's not you can open notepad, leave it blank, click on the notepads toolbar and save the file with the name [in quotes so it retains the extension you give it and does not save it with an extension of *.txt] "config.sys ". Save it to the c root directory. At least it will be there should it ever be looked for or needed.

========
    Have I forgotten, confused or missed anything??? Probably. If so remind me.

Let me know if it looks like I'm right about the dosboot directory.

Open that darn config.mjh in notepad. Copy and paste the info in here.

Is your bootup cleared up?

11. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

I opened the config.sys with notepad. The first line says the following:
    REM to make a DOS BOOT Diskette, see the file C:Dosboot\Dosboot.txt.

I went via...my computer...to drive c...opened config.mjh via notepad and found the following in the box:

REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

[common]
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS

rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    DEVICE=c:\cdrom\OakCdRom.SYS /D:IDECD000

12. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

REM To make a DOS Boot Diskette; See the file C:\DOSBOOT\DOSBOOT.TXT

[common]
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff

rem The below DOS CD ROM driver is not required to run Windows 98.
    The above is in the config.mjh folder

After all this, I decided to see if my scanner is working. I got the following message:
    Scanwizard can't find any scanners. Please use SCSICheck to find scanner. Could not locate. This message was the same given the other nite and started the reload process.

13. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

Sorry to bug you.

I am almost at the point of unplugging the scanner, removing it from the system. If you agree pls. confirm where I need to look to make sure it is gone from my system.

14. 2004/01/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Ah Ha,

I was right about the dosboot directory.

AND

That looks like a perfectly safe config.sys. Just to make sure something doesn't go looking for config.mjh and can't find it, why don't you just copy it and paste it in a folder of choice somewhere, rename it config.sys and move back into your c root.

You May wish to clean it up a little for example:

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40

=======
    I could offer further tweaks you could make to this but let's stay on track for now and try it on for size. If after putting it where it goes, and on a shutdown reboot nothing terrible happens and your still interested let me know.

=======
    Don't get nervous but I have to ask these next questions for my own piece of mind.....

You do know how to get into win98 via safemode?

You do know how to run scanreg /restore from the dosprompt?

You do have a win98 emergency bootdisk?

Don't you??????

===========
    Opps,
    Guess we were typing at the same time. I just saw your last thread. I ran across the unistall instructions for this scanner somewhere but I will have to go back through my history links to find it. This will take a little time. I'd be happy to do this but, "Is it possible that the manual/instructions came with your scanner or perhaps a readme on the cd "?

Who knows, this may turn out to be a good thing. You may wish to consider updating your drivers/software for this thing.

This is why I kept suggesting you to make sure the scanner was 100% functional. I tried to warn you that this may happen if you install over the top of old. The thing has to removed and completely uninstalled them installed again just like it was new, per the instructions step by step protocals. [Get that config.sys where it goes, in case this added to the incomplete install]

I'm off to see if I can find the instructs again.......

15. 2004/01/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

16. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

I got lost on your instructions on the 2nd last thread which said you can open notepad, leave it blank(?what does this mean), I understand "click on the notepads tool bar and save the file with the name etc. Are you telling me to name it "config.sys" rather than config.mjh
    ======last thread
    you are telling me to take config.mjh, copy and paste it in a file of my choice (what does this mean) and then rename it config.sys and then move back into your c root (what does this mean?)

In answer to your previous questions:

I have a limited knowledge of computers (as you can see from the questions I ask). The answers to the questions you posed are:

No (pls. advise)
    No (pls. advise)
    Yes

17. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

Att goddez1

Will updating the drivers help with the particular problem we have?
    Iam not sure which scanner I have. The disc says the following:

ScanMaker V300/V310
    ScanMaker V600/E3 Plus
    Purcd v2.36
    The top of the scanner says ScanMaker E3 Plus
    Which driver update do I pick to update from their website.
    Any advice.

I don't know where you are located but I am in Saskatchewan, Canada and the temperature is -53 C with windchill. It is darn cold.:cool:

18. 2004/01/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

*Double click on "My Computer" icon on desktop
    *Double click on the c drive
    *Rightclcik in it and select New "Folder "
    *Rename this new folder "Aholder "
    *Go to the root of c and right click on the file config.mjh
    *select copy
    *Open the new folder you just made Aholder
    *right click in it and select "paste "
    *On newly pasted config*: rightclick on config.mjh and select rename.
    *name it config.sys
    *Now either dragNdrop this into your c root
    *or copy and paste it.

*when done you should have a config.sys in c: that can be opened in sysedit. You can leave itas is or...you may wish to highlight all of it and select delete.

Copy and paste the bolded text into the now empty config.sys file. Save and close or upon closing it confirm saving changes.

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
    dos=high,umb
    buffers=40

19. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

You must be getting tired of me by now.

I followed the instructions you gave. Here are the issues

I had previously in on of our other exchanges right clicked on the config.mjh and opened it with notepad. When I exited notepad, the icon which showed config.mjh changed the name to config with the icon of a notepad. Is this an issue?
    I set up the new folder and named it Aholder and copied and pasted the previous one that said config.mjh but had changed to just config. The config folder is inside the Aholder folder but I did rename it to config.sys. When I look at the c drive it still has a Aholder folder in it with config.sys inside of it. How do I dragndrop into the c root or copy and paste it.

Sorry about all of this.

20. 2004/01/27
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Oh let's see, decisions... decisions.....

The easiest way is to right click on your Start button and select explore

This opens winexplorer in two paned format.

Scroll up to Aholder folder and leftclick on it

In the righthand pane will be config.sys

Rightclick on this [config.sys] and select copy

Now in the left hand pane list: sctroll up to and leftclick on the c:\ drive icon

In the righthand pane: rightclick on a blank spot somewhere and select paste

This should paste config.sys in your c root.

Did all go well?

=========
    Phewww....
    Remind me later to introduce you to powertoys sendtoX tool......:D

21. 2004/01/27
    hollinm

cold storage room

B4 I make the changes outlined in your previous thread I wanted to mention that when I looked at the Aholder folder again the file which was suppose to read config.sys is showing config.sys.mjh.
    Why is that? Where it shows the name of the folder on the left hand side it says MJH file.
    How do I get it to only show config.sys as you are suggesting. Why did it do what it did?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.