1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CD Recorder is faulty, help!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by stephanie07, 2002/01/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/11
    stephanie07

stephanie07 Inactive Thread Starter

I have Easy CD Creator 4, and whenever I try to burn a CD, and when it starts to write track number 1, it will stop at like 5%, and after like 5 minutes, it will skip it and close the creation process. It gives me errors and suggestions on how to fix them, and I have tried all of them, but they didn't work. We took our computer in a while ago to fix the burner, and it was working for a little bit, but now it's not. Occasionally it will work, but currently it's not. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thank you for your time! Respond to this post or e-mail me @ Chittykatt@aol.com
    Thank you!

Stephanie

2. 2002/01/11
    Dusted1

Dusted1 Inactive

You may have to go to the Roxio site to update your verison of Easy CD Creator 4. They have a lot of updates for the different verisons out there. I think it is www.roxio.com . Hope this helps you.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/11
    KevinSaul

KevinSaul Inactive

You can also try recording at a slower speed and/or copying to the hard drive first (that's under advanced options)

5. 2002/01/11
    stephanie07

I went to the Roxio site, but it says something about Windows XP that I need before I can get Easy CD Creator 5. Right now, I have Windows 98, and if I download the Windows XP file, does that mean that I will switch from '98? Or is it just a file to get to the Easy CD creator. The XP version won't interfere with any of my other programs, will it?

Thanks for the help guys.

Stephanie

6. 2002/01/11
    jongru

jongru Inactive

Hi Stephanie,

Sounds like you need to have an absolutely quiet recording environment. Whenever you record you should disable all resident memory programs, such as screen savers, etc. I believe the old version 4.0 requires a 'silent ' environment to maintain accurate buffering to the disk.

Download a copy of End-it-All off the web. It used to be free. I use it everytime I record to shut down all resident memory programs that are running. Never had the problem. To find End-It-All, just type that handle into the search line, you should get it. Good luck. Also the End-It-All program eliminates the same problems when you defrag your disk. Similar reasoning also.....

7. 2002/01/12
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

All of the above are good suggestions. I will add another: All hard disks have jumper settings for Master, Slave and Cable Select. Some have an additional settings for Single. Cable Select is a proprietary settings used on certain brands of machines. I have found that the Cable Select setting interferes with some CD-Rs.

I currently have a computer in my shop for troubleshooting/repair of a similar problem to yours with the following settings available:
    Single
    Master
    Slave
    Cable Select

The hard disk jumper was set to Master; but, that wasn't quite correct. It was also the only drive on that controller. I set the hard disk jumper to Single and the CD writing problem went away. Just to be sure, I set it back to Master and the problem returned. Now I know for sure that the Master setting for a single drive on that hard disk was inappropriate.

Good Luck!

Also, this setting eliminated a long (about 20 seconds) pause in the POST.

8. 2002/01/12
    stephanie07

Jongru - I did find the "End It All" program off of the web, and downloaded it and tried it out, but it didn't help the CD copy. It did get rid of the closing out all other programs error message, though, that pops up when it skips a track. But there are two others still there.

Alex Ethridge - That sounds like a good idea, but how could I switch the hard disk jumper? Could I do that at home, or would I need to take it in or what? I don't know if my computer is set at "Master" though. If I set it to Single will it mess anything up on my drive or anything? Thanks for your time!

Stephanie

9. 2002/01/12
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member

If you knew the brand and model of your hard disk, you could check the available jumper settings on the manufacturer's site. Otherwise, you will have to open the machine and maybe remove the hard disk and check the label for available settings. I have been disappointed on occasion by drives that aren't marked. In those cases, you'll have to get the model number and go the the manufacturer's site.

Of course, since you have to open the machine for all this, this should be your last resort.

The jumpers are usually on the same end of the drive as where the ribbon cable plugs in.

10. 2002/01/13
    jongru

jongru Inactive

Hi Stephanie,

I have a feeling since you mentioned that the burner was taken in and repaired, it may be the culprit. I have used the old Adaptec version 4.0 never had any of those problems. I think it is a buffering or recording incompatability in the burner. Do you have a friend that has a burner, ask them to loan it to you and try theirs. Not too much of a job to unhook one and insert theirs. This will eliminate the burner or confirm it is bad.

If all else fails and your wallet is adequate, invest in a new burner and upgrade the version 4.0 to Roxio platinum v 5.0 I love it and never had a problem with it. I use the cd burning all the time with my graphics and photo albums. The price is fairly cheap. I think after rebates, about $49.00. The old Adaptec version 4.0 was a hit or miss with many similar glitches. I hope this offers some insights......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.