1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't send link

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by vegaspat, 2008/02/18.

1. 2008/02/29
    vegaspat

vegaspat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ramona,

I haven't started on the Profile thing yet.

I spent the evening checking out any programs that could be causing the problem and posting messages all over the world. <G> Sadly one of the replies pointed right to this lengthy posting. So much for that.

I noticed this morning when I couldn't send a message while on the Internet to the person handling one of my programs. I suspect it was a Compose window. This was a button on their site. I got that pop up error message and so I opened up IE to see if I could send my question from their site while using IE. Got the same error message.

At this point when I close the error message window an Internet Explorer semi blank window listing "Most likely causes" comes up.

I printed it off and nothing helped even the option to Diagnose Connection Problems. Under the option for More information it lists about 5 problem causes. I checked them out and nada.

What still troubles me is the fact that the original error message clearly states that the default mail client is NOT installed properly.

I don't seem to have any issues with Thunderbird and I just can't do the Profile deal on that. I got so confused when we dealt with that on the other PC.

I know you're tired of this and I even dreamed about it last night. That's bad!!

2. 2008/02/29
    vegaspat

Just wanted to let you know what I did so far.

I set up an email account in Windows Mail. Then I made that and IE my default programs, re-booted and opened IE and went to that link that I had problems with earlier this morning.

Same thing happened. Got a pop-up stating the same error with the same options. I've have checked EVERYTHING and now think this is a lost cause. There are even some boards I can't log into and I suspect it is all related.

I am going to contact the machine tech support and see if they can give me any ideas to to whether this is Vista related. Don't see how but who knows.

Since I re-installed FF once I don't think doing the same with TB would even help.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/29
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Pat,

Since you are having the same problem with IE/Windows Mail, then it is a Vista problem, definitely. The Thunderbird issue is on the XP machine, right? Let's not mix up this thread with the TB issue. Start a new thread for that, if you would please.

Let us know if the new Profile worked on Firefox...

5. 2008/02/29
    vegaspat

Not having any issues with the XP. Just on this one. (Vista)

I haven't done the Profile thing yet since the same issue exists with IE and Windows Mail, formerly Outlook, set as the default.

I have spent way too many hours on this checking everything I could find on the Internet.

Earlier today I called the company tech support and asked them if they knew of any problems that could be caused by pre-installed software. They asked if I had Norton running and I told them I got rid of that a long time ago and was using AVG. I've checked their settings out also.

I'd forget and do the Copy and Paste but this has caused other issues. Can't even rectify those by using IE. I get the same error message.

If I want to contact support on some of the sites I order stuff from and click on their Contact button it's no go. And I can't see the link except on the Status Bar it always says --mailtoxxxxxxxxx

I printed off your Profile instructions and will try that in the end. Don't think it will help but will try anyway.

I just wish someone had Vista Home Premium, TB, FF and AVG and I could see their settings in the Registry.

Please don't fret with this anymore. Too much of a hassle and I know you have other things to do.

Thanks so much for your help so far.

If I ever get it resolved and if the Profile works I'll be sure to let you know.

6. 2008/02/29
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

7. 2008/03/01
    vegaspat

Per the link you sent I had done this at least 6 times.

If and when I ever find a solution you will be the first to know.

Thanks again for all your help.:confused:

8. 2008/03/03
    vegaspat

Ramona,

Well, consider this a closed issue.

I spent the entire day working on this. I uninstalled both TB and FF and made sure of everything I did. I made sure TB was the default before I installed FF.

Everything went pretty smooth until I clicked on the Send Link option. SAME old problem.

The last suggestion I got on this from another board said this was the way to go and like all the other suggestions I managed to dig up it didn't work either.

I quit!!

Thanks.

9. 2008/03/27
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I don't know if you're still following this link but I wanted to let you know some additional facts about this horrible issue.

I've had THIS PC disconnected for the past 3 weeks. Last night I started it up and of course it still had the same issue. (Hoping the computer fairy had corrected it.) So I set IE up as the default browser and Windows Mail as the default email client. I then shut the PC totally down.

This morning I opened Firefox and Thunderbird. They asked for default rights and I said NO.

But here is the very strange thing. While in Firefox and I click on Send Link I get no error messages but a Windows Mail compose window opens to send the link. I am not going to experiment for a while because this actually serves the purpose.

Don't you find this a bit weird? I'm thinking it all has to do with the settings in the Registry. But I'll never know.

If anyone ever figures out these wonderful computers I would sure like to know.