1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't send link

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by vegaspat, 2008/02/18.

1. 2008/02/22
    vegaspat

vegaspat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

No, I can NOT click on File/Send Link as I've always done. I now have to Copy the address, go to TB, bring up a Compose window, Paste and then send the article or whatever to someone. I HATE it.

I used to click on File/Send Link and a Compose window from TB would open and I could simply "Send" and it was all done.

The XP PC still does it the proper way.

I'm still searching. I found someone that indicated you could make a Registry change but mentally I'm not up to that. Besides I lost the page I printed off. <G>

:confused:

2. 2008/02/22
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Pat,

Try this:

Open Firefox
    Open a new blank tab
    Type about:config into the Location bar, and press Enter
    In the 'Filter" field at the top of the next screen, type or copy & paste
    network.protocol-handler.external.mailto
    Right click to get the drop down menu
    Either click on "Toggle" or reset the "value" to True

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/02/22
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

That's the way I, always, did. It is the only way to do it, as I use, some half dozen different programs. However, some links don't work (thanks or no thanks to the web page, and one has to send them a different way. It happened to me, yesterday, twice.
    But, as I tested now, using Seamonkey2.0a1pre, I can send the link using File|Send link. It may work with Firefox.
    Do you send the article or the link?

5. 2008/02/22
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I read about that several days ago on some site but mine was already set for true. I even searched the entire list to see if there was anything that might do the trick.

I think I'll print that list off on my other machine and compare it to the settings on this PC to see if I come up with anything.

It's just so strange that it doesn't function as it was meant to. I was hoping that if I re-installed it any files that were corrupt might be fixed. Guess not.

Thanks for working on this.

6. 2008/02/22
    vegaspat

I just do the File/Send Link. Wouldn't know how to send the article from Firefox unless I did a Copy and Paste which I am not going to do. Many times there are images that probably won't copy well.

When using Netscape there was an option to File/Send Page which I also did many times. When it hit someone's mailbox they could view just what I saw.

7. 2008/02/22
    Ramona

Nope, that won't help.

I would like for you to take a look in your Registry at this Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

The default is: "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe" /mailurl: "%1 "

This Screen Shot is what the key looks like in XP, with Thunderbird as the Default.

Is this what your Registry shows for the command key?

If not, then will you export the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto key to a folder that you use for backups. Then change the extension from *.reg to *.txt. That's done by a right click on the file, and selecting "Rename ", which I'm sure you already know.

Then open the renamed txt file, copy the contents and post it here.

Thanks!

8. 2008/02/23
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I will say what I have in my computer. I have Firefox, Flock, Navigator, and Seamonkey. If I select Send Link, the default mail (Thunderbird) will open, and the link will be, already, written out. There is no Send Page in the first three, but rather Save Page as, which can, then, be used as an attachment.
    Seamonkey has a Send Page, which basically does the same as the other three browsers, plus placing an attachment, in its own mail. Seamonkey is like Netscape, and does not have to use the default Mail, if it is not itself.
    I have not made any registry changes.
    So Send Link works exactly the same way as copying and pasting the URL.
    So, I don't understand the problem. And, I would rather copy/paste than mess with the Registry (although I could).

9. 2008/02/23
    vegaspat

Ramona,

Well, this is not going to be easy.

Believe it or not the Vista Registry is NOT set up the same as XP.

I followed your instructions but in the Vista Registry you do not have any sub folders. Just the mailto key. I did a thorough search of the RootKey and there are several Mailto items but I would not even begin to touch them.

I then went down and checked the XP PC which allows the Send Link option and the Registry is set up just like yours.

I saved a copy of what my Registry looks like in Paint(Vista) but don't know how to attach it here.

10. 2008/02/23
    Ramona

11. 2008/02/24
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I am printing that article off as I type. Looks like a bit to digest. I will read it in the next couple of days and return for any questions if that's okay.

Do you think any of the other browsers might be a better choice if they do indeed have that "Send Link" option.

I have edited the Registry before but on a very limited basis after backing it up. Not really wild about doing it. That's why I laid that one article aside that I had run across before.

Thanks for your never ending patience. Now to post another minor question.

12. 2008/02/27
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I'm finally back to trying to figure this issue out. I just read the article you suggested but as usual I guess I'm overlooking something.

I wanted to know what the comparable key was in Vista for what you see in XP.

After searching the Registry for mailto or protocol (Forgot now) I had come up with a line very similar to yours but there was no way I would change that key without totally being comfortable that it was the correct one.

I did a very in depth search on the Internet thinking that surely someone has had this problem but so far I've come up with NOTHING.

I found a couple things on the Mozilla site but I'm sure you did also and if any of them solved anything you would have told me.

Not only can I not "Send a Link" , I get the same error message when I click on certain items on a web page such as their help content, etc.

Just don't know where to go from here. I can certainly get around not getting an email Compose window but it is effecting certain necessary windows on web sites.

Thanks.
    I could send you the links on Mozilla in case you haven't seen them.

13. 2008/02/27
    Ramona

Pat,

I didn't intend that you do any Registry editing, I just wanted to see the Registry Keys for the mailto in Vista. I will ask on the Windows Vista Forum here and see if someone will share that key with us.

Let me have the links on MozillaZine, please, and thanks! :)

14. 2008/02/27
    vegaspat

No, I know you didn't. But I just thought the article would perhaps show comparable keys.

Don't you find it VERY bizarre that no one else using Vista and Firefox have noted this problem? Surely I can't be the only person in the universe that has an issue with this. Just blows my mind.

You've been the in house expert on Firefox for a long time. I thought this would be a simple fix. Guess not.

Just tried again to access the Mozilla forums but all day they've timed out.

I'll keep trying so I can post the links.

Last edited: 2008/02/27
  15. 2008/02/27
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I finally got onto the support.mozilla.com forum and found several messages posted there after I posted one. Duh!

Anyway there are a couple of folks who have this problem. I printed off the messages for review later. I have to leave shortly. Will let you know if I figure anything out.

16. 2008/02/27
    Ramona

Pat,

Will you please give us the links for those threads? Thanks!

17. 2008/02/27
    Ramona

Pat,

I've been reading the thread again, and find that you actually didn't try any of the basic steps suggested in this Mozilla KB Article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client

In Thunderbird, go to "Tools -> Options -> General" and select "Use Thunderbird as the default mail application "

Go to "Start -> Default Programs -> Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" and set "Mozilla Firefox" as your default Browser.

Go to "Start -> Default Programs -> Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" and set "Mozilla Thunderbird" as your default e-mail application.

In Thunderbird, go to "Tools -> Options -> General" and select "Use Thunderbird as the default mail application "

Have you done each of these steps (you probably have)?

18. 2008/02/27
    vegaspat

Ramona,

I've tried those things at least 3 times. The message I found might have been the problem except I do NOT have the Google Toolbar set up on this computer. I was so in hopes that was the answer.

I will keep searching. Something must be causing this and I just can't think what it could be.

I hope you can access these links. I know you must be a fed up with this issue as I am.

Thanks.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3263457&sid=19cc4819ea4c3dcc35528c98ce0b3a70

http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_parentId=1636

19. 2008/02/27
    Ramona

Pat,

Thanks for the links, and yes I found both of those threads searching thru Google for your error.

I'm afraid my expertise has fizzled on this problem, and that's for sure. You have tried every workaround recommended by Mozilla, and then some. One thing you haven't tried is a new Profile. Create a new Profile, and call it Test, but don't transfer anything from your current Profile. See if the Send Link works in the pristine Profile.

20. 2008/02/28
    vegaspat

Yes, I've tried everything I know.

After reading about the Gmail thing I started racking my brain as to what I could have installed on here that is wanting to grab my email link or even FF I suppose.

After the hard drive replacement it came back with junk that I haven't had time to get rid of. I will check those out next.

Now, for the biggie.

If I do the the profile thing will you have the time to explain it step by step.

Such as: #1 ------
    #2------

You are so knowledgeable about the profile business and I just can't properly grasp the whole thing.

If you don't want to go at this way I certainly will understand so don't feel bad about dumping me. <G>

21. 2008/02/28
    Ramona

Pat,

To create the Test profile:

Right click the Firefox Desktop shortcut
    Select: Properties
    Select: Shortcut Tab

To the "Target" field: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe "
    At the end of the target line add: one space, then -p
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p
    Click Apply and OK