1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't install antivirus, windows update fails, and so does windows defender

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by natcolley, 2016/07/23.

1. 2016/07/23
    natcolley

natcolley Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's hard to know where to start with this one. I noticed an issue with my daughter's computer,

and in short order discovered that her AVG is MIA. There are old installation files still on the

hard drive, but both they and a fresh download from the AVG free site fail with the same error

code, 0xC0070641.

Windows Update also does not work. It looks like the last successful update was 8/25/14. Clicking

on one of the failed updates and then the link to get help tells me there are zero results.

It will probably come as no surprise when I also tell you Windows Defender is turned off and I

can't turn it back on. Yes, she did give me her admin password. The antispyware definitions in

windows defender date to 5/6/2011. There is a 'start now' button, but it is greyed out and the

cursor just goes round and round when it is over that window. Error code 0x800106ba.

Clicking on the find virus protection online button in Action center does absolutely nothing.
    She is running Windows 7 Home Premium on a 64bit HP 310 with an AMD II X2 processor.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc
    4:37 pm I got windows defender on a usb and ran it, successfully, supposedly, but it did not

report finding any errors or viruses. When I reboot back to the hard drive, Windows Defender

still does not come on, and there is still no antivirus program.

4:39pm Now it is reporting that my protections are up to date, and then Windows Defender started,

but moments later it stopped again. Rinse repeat.

I see a McAfee icon on her desktop, so I am trying that now. McAfee says there is no antivrius but

also that it detected no threats. It also says Windows Firewall is working. I assume this is the

same as Windows Defender.

"checking for solutions" has been running for some time and continues to do so.

Windows update still fails. Code 80070426 and 9C59.

I am now trying to install avg from the download I got two hours ago. Same failure. Same error.

And yet, they can manage to change the home page.

So all told I've been at this 3 hours and have zero to show for it. Suggestions? Thanks.

2. 2016/07/24
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Could you not double space it makes the post difficult to read. Do you have the Product Number(P/N). Its located on a sticker on the computer. It should look some thing like this WA678UA#ABA. You can also find it in the HP Support Assistant on the bottom informational strip. You shouldn't de running two anti virus at a time. It causes conflicts. If I were you I would head over to the Malware and Virus Forum and have the machine checked out by broni our Malware Expert. He has special tools that will find deeply hidden Malware.

Last edited: 2016/07/24
    lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/24
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

5. 2016/07/27
    natcolley

natcolley Well-Known Member Thread Starter

6. 2016/07/28
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You don't need to post links to what you posted. Just stay in the Malware section and Broni or one of the others will help you clean the PC or advise you what to do.