1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Can't get laptop to boot?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by dodopie, 2014/01/25.

1. 2014/01/25
    dodopie Contributing Member

dodopie Well-Known Member Thread Starter

HI, I got this acer 5515 running vista basic. Last june I installed advance system optimizer to keep it running good and it has worked great. I noticed it has a disk startup check that will run on the next start up, so I ran it and the scan was running then the computer shut down and now won't restart. I called the optimizer company and they say that that scan changed some of the files to window 8 and that's why it won't restart and I need a start up disk so I got one for vista basic off ebay. I figured out how to make it try to boot from the cd which it loaded the files then just stuck on the screen with the scrolling bar. Any ideas what to do?

2. 2014/01/25
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

This should serve as another warning to those who mess with Windows registry.
    Absolutely no need to touch registry.

Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
    • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry ". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
    • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
    • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
    • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results ".
    Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

============================

Let's see if I can help.

NOTE 1. Use another working computer to download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. Use USB flash drive to transfer it from good computer to the bad one.
    NOTE 2. Install Panda USB Vaccine, or BitDefender’s USB Immunizer on GOOD computer to protect it from any infected USB device.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 32-Bit and save it to a flash drive.
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

[color= "#0000FF"]To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:[/color]
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.

[color= "#0000FF"]To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:[/color]
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

[color= "#008000"]On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:[/color]

• Startup Repair
    • System Restore
    • Windows Complete PC Restore
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    • Command Prompt
    • Select Command Prompt
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color]:\frst (for x64 bit version type [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color]:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter [color= "#FF0000"]e[/color] with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/01/26

I still can't get passed the screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom. I tried it both ways, with recovery cd and without, same results. When I first got the cd and ran it, I did get to the desktop but everything that normally loaded didn't, I waited for an hour then tried to run the cd again and this is where I'm stuck now. When I boot from the computer, I can get the screen to choose repair computer but it just then gets stuck on the screen with with scrolling bar???

5. 2014/01/26
    broni

It doesn't look like you're booting to System Recovery Options.
    What kind of CD are you trying to use?

6. 2014/01/26

its a recovery disk I got off ebay labeled system recovery & restore for vista home basic. I tried your way and when I select repair computer it just gets to that same point loading where the scrolling bar at the bottom and just stays there. I also tried a external cd drive to make sure its not the cd drive built in the laptop. Again, no matter what I try it just get stuck on the scrolling bar screen.

Last edited: 2014/01/26
  7. 2014/01/26
    broni

8. 2014/01/26

wow, I clicked the link for the vista home basic and it took me to amazon to buy it for $84. I'm not willing to spend that much on this old laptop. No free downloads?

9. 2014/01/26
    broni

You clicked on wrong link.
    You need to read that page carefully

Download links are listed under "Download Windows Vista Setup Files" section.
    You need to download three files listed here:
    Windows Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 English (USA)

Note.
    "These files are good for installing the other Windows Vista editions (Home Basic, Home Premium and Business) as well. The activation key determines which Vista edition will be installed. "

Then read "Create your own bootable Vista iso image" section.
    That's how you create bootable Vista DVD.

10. 2014/01/26

will I need a disk or can I use a flash stick?

11. 2014/01/26
    broni

Never used flash drive but possibly it could work.

12. 2014/01/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

13. 2014/01/27

I am wondering will this type boot reset the laptop back to new so all data will be lost? Also, do I need to burn both the 3 files to a disk and burn an iso too? sorry for the dumb questions but I'm just a tater, head tater of the row but still just a tater. so I'm downloading the 4 files to this computer and will transfer to either a dick or flash drive, then go from there.

Last edited: 2014/01/27
  14. 2014/01/27
    broni

Booting from DVD won't touch any of your data.
    We're just trying to take a look at your computer from an outside source since you can't boot normally.

You can see step by step instructions how to create DVD in "Create your own bootable Vista iso image" chapter.

15. 2014/01/30

hey now, I got the files loaded on the flash, I downloaded iso ultra. So when I downloaded the 6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en file, the icon looks just like the ultra icon on the desktop. I didn't use the ultra to download it, so will it work without using the ultra software to download it? the reason I ask is I tried putting the files on the flash and setting the laptop to boot from it, it still gets stuck on the scrolling screen.

16. 2014/01/30
    broni

It looks like you're not booting form flash drive.
    Did you check "boot order" in BIOS "?

17. 2014/01/30

ok, I set that and now when I boot it says BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl/alt/del to restart. but I can see the flash is still blinking

18. 2014/01/30
    broni

I'm not sure what to tell you as I never used flash drive to do that.
    You may want to try DVD.

19. 2014/01/30

if bootmgr is missing. shouldn't it be one of the files in that set I put on the flash? I looked on it and don't see that file. I found this:

Windows BOOTMGR is a utility used to boot your computer past the 8GB threshold; it creates and hides partitions, as well as supports the password protection function. For varying reasons, BOOTMGR may not work properly, this could be due to corrupt files or malware. If you see the message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart," you will have to reinstall it. With the Windows OS installation disc, it will automatically recognize that BOOTMGR is missing and reinstall it for you

So the files I downloaded must not have this bootmgr, can I get it online and just put it with the files on the flash drive?

Last edited: 2014/01/30
  20. 2014/01/30
    broni

I can only repeat what I said in my previous reply.
    I'm not sure what is the big deal with getting blank DVD.

21. 2014/01/30

I think i'll start over and just download the three files, I also had the fubar and the iso file on the stick, let me try the stick with just the three files. I tried to re download them but two of the links took me to blank pages, that's weird as I just downloaded them yesterday and saved them on this laptop so I'm just copying them to the stick.

Last edited: 2014/01/30