1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't boot to Win8

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Barry, 2014/01/29.

1. 2014/01/31
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Astonishing.

I would have thought that *any* person manning the tech-help phones for Microsoft would have known that it is possible to change the download location for Internet Explorer.

All of my downloads go to the desktop with any browser I use.

2. 2014/01/31
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

So, how do you change the location for IE? I can't see a place on the new IE that allows for options or tools.

As far as my OS partition that doesn't show active, I wonder if it is an issue of partition version number. Different operating systems have different partition version numbers, and they can only be merged or altered by a system that has the same version number. I had this problem when I wanted to adjust partitions using Partition Magic. Maybe I need to delete the partition from Win 8 and then create it again from that site. I realize this means starting all over again, but do you think this might be what is keeping me from being able to dual boot?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/02/01
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Are you accessing IE from your desktop in win 8? If so right click an empty space next to the address bar then click Menu Bar. MS isn't going to help much when it comes to Win XP. They're trying to get users off that OS.

5. 2014/02/01
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

6. 2014/02/01
    Barry

Thank you. I'm still lost when it comes to navigating this OS. I'm sure there is an easy way to get to the desktop, but I have to use search to find it each time. Once I found the right IE, the solution was as easy as in the past. Any suggestions on the dual boot issue?

7. 2014/02/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try Start8 as has been posted many times before - brings back Windows 7 Start Button & menu and boots straight to desktop. Free trial & a bargain at $4.99 :). Used it ever since 8 was released.

8. 2014/02/01
    Barry

Thanks Pete, but I want to get this computer stable before doing too many changes. I disconnected this drive and opened my other one. When I went into disk management, I noticed my OS partition says Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, logical partition), whereas my storage partition says Healthy (system, active, primary partition). I believe this is my problem. The wrong partition is listed as system, active and primary. How can I fix this? I don't want to delete my storage partition, as it has a lot of files saved on it, but I could delete and then create a new OS partition, but I'm not sure if that will let me take over the system, active and primary aspects. Any suggestions?

9. 2014/02/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I haven't been following your threads closely at all, but I understand you want to dual boot Windows 8 from either of 2 hard drives.

I found a few relevant hits on Google .....

Windows 7: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and 7 on 2 separate HDD Although it says 7 would probably be applicable to 8 as well.

Dual boot in Win 8 using 2 Hard drives ?

How to Run Windows 8 and 8.1 on the Same PC

Note that you will need 2 licences, one for each drive
    The OS does not necessarily have to be on a primary partition - source

As I said I have not been following your threads closely - when you install a dual boot system in 2 partitions on the same drive there should be no issues, but when you install on 2 hard drives both drives should be connected during the installation of each OS - AFAIK.

10. 2014/02/01
    Barry

Pete, thanks for the suggestions. I may have to reinstall my original OS, as both drives weren't connected during the process. I did figure out a way to eliminate my storage listed as system, active& primary. I resized the partition, cutting it in half. I then cut and pasted the files to the new partition I had just created and formatted. After that, I plan to delete the original partition and then expand the new one I made. Hopefully, that will allow the computer to see the OS partition as system, active and primary. Later today, I'll delete the OS partition and start from scratch. I'll read your links before I do that, but I have to get to work, now.

11. 2014/02/01
    Barry

I am dual booted now, though it is a bit different than how XP did it. Let me know if this is normal. When I click on my backup drive, my computer restarts and then directly enters that drive. When I click on my primary drive, my computer directly enters that drive without restarting. With XP, it was a direct opening, no matter which drive I chose, with no restarts. Is this just how 8 works, or does it have something to do with running a 64 bit OS, or did I do something wrong?

12. 2014/02/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The last time I dual booted was when the beta version of Windows 7 was released and I dual booted that with XP.

As far as my recollection goes when you dual boot you should see a boot menu when booting up the computer from which you can select which OS to boot into. I suspect that you are not seeing this. I recall using EasyBCD to set up the boot menu as outlined here.

You cannot switch between OS's without restarting the computer.

13. 2014/02/02
    Barry

I understand I can't switch from one OS to another without restarting, but I'm talking about the boot menu when I boot up my computer. I am given a choice between the two drives, though it goes straight through for my primary drive and restarts and then goes straight through for my backup. Has anyone done this on Win 8? Is this the normal process for 8?

Last edited: 2014/02/02
  14. 2014/02/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I see no reason why Win 8 should be any different to previous OS's in respect of dual booting.
    So you are saying that whichever choice you choose in the boot menu the computer boots to the primary drive by default and then reboots to your backup drive? If that is the case you have an issue with the boot menu. The boot menu will always have a default drive to boot to with a set period of time for you to make your choice of OS. In other words if the primary drive is set as default it should boot directly from that unless you choose the other drive within the allotted time scale.

All I can suggest is to try and sort it out using EasyBCD.

15. 2014/02/02
    Barry

Everything looks fine in BCD. If I choose my backup drive, my primary drive doesn't load first. What happens is my computer reboots and then opens with my backup drive (skipping the boot choice window). It isn't a significant problem, but it just seems odd, when I compare it to what I experienced with XP.

16. 2014/02/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It is odd and it isn't right, but I have no further suggestions to make :(

17. 2014/02/03
    Barry

To confuse the situation even more, on occasion the boot screen is black and white rather than blue. When it is black and white, it allow direct opening into my backup drive. When it is blue, it reboots first. I can't predict when the screen will be blue and when it will be black and white. The black and white screen also offers safe mode and other options, more of what would come up in XP when the OS didn't shut down properly.

18. 2014/02/03
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Win 8 is a completely different animal than XP. Get used to the fact that XP is going to be done away with April 8,2014. Unless MS changes its mind. Which wouldn't be to surprising. I skipped Vista and when Win 7 was released I immediately dumped Win XP Pro in favor of Win 7 Ultimate.

Last edited: 2014/02/03