1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Cannot copy Thumb:

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jparnold, 2011/12/14.

1. 2011/12/14
    jparnold

jparnold Inactive Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 on both computers in my home network.
    More often than not on one particular PC if I try to DRAG a FOLDER from the networked PC some files and folders within the folder to be copied are copied but then I get the following error -
    Cannot copy Thumb: Cannot find the specified file.
    Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

If I then open the subfolders and drag/copy the contents it works without the error. It only occurs on one PC and only seems to happen when I attempt to copy a folder which contains subfolders.

Also on the same PC when I attempt to drag/copy anything it displays a window displaying 'are you attempting to move or copy files' something like that and when I click on OK it then prompts me COPY this? The other PC only ever prompts me COPY this?

IT seems that it is caused by security but I have never seen this before except in Vista with its 'stronger' protection.

2. 2011/12/14
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

For grins... In Win Explorer click on EDIT-> and try out the "copy to folder" function.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/12/15
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I might see it as a drive letter allocation problem.

If you right-click on My Computer and select Manage -> Disk Management, right-click on the thumb drive and change the drive letter to one at the end of the alphabet, like P:, S: or U:. Change the drive letter to the same one on both computers, that is, connect the thumb drive into both computers and set the drive letter as the same on both.

See if it works then.

Matt

5. 2011/12/15
    jparnold

Mattman,
    Thanks for your eply but I am NOT using a 'thumbdrive. The reference to 'thumb' was in the error message ie Cannot copy Thumb: Cannot find the specified file.
    I was attempting to COPY a folder from a HARD DRIVE on one PC the the HARD DRIVE on another via my home network.
    I think it has something to do with 'permissions' but I have no idea why as I can COPY FOLDERS using the other PC without getting the error message.

6. 2011/12/15
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

Delete thumb.db files within the folders. You need to show hidden files and folders. You can turn off the feature to create these files by unchecking "Do not cache thumbnails" in Folder Options > View tab.

Admin. likes this.
  7. 2011/12/15
    jparnold

Sure that will work but isn't there another way - by setting permissions or something?

Please NOTE that when attempting to drag (copy) folders across my network when I do it from PC 'A' to PC 'B' then as soon as I drag the folder across Windows prompts -
    Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?
    And when I click on YES it then prompts -
    Copy Here
    Move Here
    Create Shortcuts here
    Cancel

YET when I drag (copy) folders across my network from PC 'B' to PC 'A' Windows does NOT prompt -
    Do you want to move or copy files from this zone? It just prompts COPY, MOVE etc as normal.

So surely the fact that on one PC it prompts 'Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?' is the 'key' to my 'problem'
    Why do I get this prompt on one PC but not the other?

8. 2011/12/16
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

9. 2011/12/16
    jparnold

Thanks Whiskeyman.
    Both links were very similar but I chose the second as it was a little quicker to read, implemented the changes (to the Local Intranet security settings) and both the extra prompt and the 'cannot copy Thumb:' disappeared.
    I noted that both links mentioned IE7 SP3 and Microsoft upgrades and then remembered that I implemented all the upgrades to IE7 on the PC I was having problems with but NOT on the other (as I use Firefox and never IE7 on that one and could see no reason to implement Microsoft upgrades to IE7).
    Thanks again

Last edited: 2011/12/16
  10. 2011/12/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

As the issue appears to be resolved .....

Please mark your thread as 'Resolved'.

11. 2011/12/17
    jparnold

Ok
    Wow it was only 6 hours ago that this post became 'resolved'