1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Can W95B operate on DSL Broadband?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by retiredlearner, 2010/09/28.

1. 2010/09/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

This is one for the Windows 95 experts. Just because I enjoy challenges, I have installed W95B on a HD in a comp with: Asus A7V-VE m/b, AMD Athlon XP 2000 CPU, 504MB RAM, Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

I had to download a Patch which enabled the OS to run with the 2000 CPU.
    I also installed from the Other File (on the Win95 CD) USB ability.

My problem is I can't find drivers for the Ethernet or the USB. Am I in dreamland or is there a way to get the OS Internet operational other than Dial up?
    The Win95 opens and runs OK and I can install programs but I need to access the internet to try this system out. Can any knowledgeable Win95B guru please advise me. Cheers Neil.

2. 2010/09/28
    Triger

Triger Inactive

Hi;

There are several Realtek 8139 / 810 driver packages available for
    that Nic card over at Driverguide dot com for Win 95. You will need
    to sign up for a free account.

Usb is another matter entirely, support on Windows 95 was poor
    at best. A suggestion might be to get Usb Pci card.

Jake

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

USB support was only available for Windows 95 OSR 2.1 or OSR 2.5, see: USB Support for Windows 95

Windows 9.* is not an OS that should be allowed on the Internet, you'll probably be compromised in < 30 sec. :eek:

Arie,
  5. 2010/09/29
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the link Arie, I had already been there and followed the procedure without any luck.
    When you say the system will get compromised on the internet, did that happen with Dial up? Neil.

6. 2010/09/29
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Neil,

Yes it did, the biggest difference is Dial Up was primarily dynamic IP (ie your address could -and would normally- change between connections), additionally dial up is very slow so attacks would take long and be more noticeable.

With BB connections many are fixed IP's and even the dynamic ones rarely change, additionally speeds are a lot quicker so a trojan/worm can sneak in without you even noticing a blip in your connection speed.

I'm with Arie on this, don't connect a 95 system to the internet unless you have a hardware firewall sitting in the middle.

7. 2010/09/30
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the input Wildfire. I won't be on the internet unless I find drivers for the Realtek built in Ethernet. I have another HD with Win98SE and when I install it to the M/B - it flies with everything operating OK. I managed to get USB2.0 working on it and it allows me to swap bits and pieces with my pen drives. Neil.