1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Can I re-arrange programs in the 'Start' folder?]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bruce L., 2011/05/16.

1. 2011/05/16
    Bruce L.

Bruce L. Inactive Thread Starter

Hi: I bought a new W7 desktop a few months ago for my business, and I immediately pinned Firefox and then my email (Courier) to the taskbar, and then put them both into my start folder. When I boot my PC up, I always these two programs open.

Everything has worked fine until the other day. Normally FF opened on the taskbar at the left position, then email opens to its right, the same as the pinned icons are.

All of a sudden, email goes to the left and FF opens to its right on the taskbar. How do I reverse this back to where they were originally?

2. 2011/05/16
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

It all depends, which program opens first.
    If FF opens first, it'll be listed first.

Install Taskbar Shuffle: http://nerdcave.webs.com/ and you'll be able to drag them around manually.
    A program for clean freaks like myself :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/05/17
    Bruce L.

But why did the order in which they open suddenly reverse itself?

Q about the Taskbar Shuffle program you mentioned: If you re-arrange them using this, will it stay that way after you reboot? (I can switch them around now, but they will not stay that way after rebooting)

5. 2011/05/17
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You could do away with items in the startup folder and use a batch file or cmd file to load the programs you want, and you can use a delay to control the order. Put the bat file in the startup folder.

Example: (save as "startup.bat ") (verify the path to your email box)

Code:
    @echo off

timeout 10
    start /min  "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”

timeout 20
    start /min  "C:\Program Files\Courier Email\Mailbox\E-Mail.box”
    This will start Firefox first, then Courier, both minimized. Using at least 5-10 seconds between them should ensure the order of icons in Taskbar. There's no real way to control where icons go on Taskbar because not all programs load at the same speed.

You'll have to adjust the timings because both of these programs are known to take a bit of time to load, compared to others.

6. 2011/05/17
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

No....

7. 2011/05/20
    Bruce L.

Who knows, but it's been working correctly now for the last several days. I didn't do anything to mess it up, and I didn't do anything to correct it. The cybergods can be strange. :(

At any rate, thanks to all for the replies! :D