1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can I password protect a folder on my network?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by nekorequest, 2009/03/06.

1. 2009/03/06
    nekorequest

nekorequest Inactive Thread Starter

We have a wired network in our office, with all of our main files on a central computer that we use as a server. There are five files in this 'server' that we have shared, for different kinds of our company information. However, I was hoping to add a sixth file that I can password protect for the managerial information, so that it can stay central and easily accessible without everyone having access to it.

How we share on our network: I make a folder in a file on the server's C drive, then go to Properties. Under the Sharing tab, and then in the Network Sharing and Security box. I check both boxes to allow sharing on our network, and choose a name for this new faux "drive" I've set up. Then, on each computer on our network, I open My Computer, select Map Drive, and attach the newly-made and -shared folder to a drive letter. The folder now shows up like it's an entirely separate drive when viewing My Computer.

* Note: The server is on XP, but all the other systems in our office now run on Vista home, 32 bit I'm mostly certain.

So... without actually restructuring the way that we set up our network "drives," is there any way to password protect one of those folders? Or, barring that, is there a way for me to lock someone out of mapping a new drive they shouldn't be allowed to view?
    (The server is password protected, so there's no risk of someone poking at those files from the source, but overall, it would just make things a whole lot more handy if someone didn't have to actually physically sit at the server to access these files to make sure no one else could access them.)

Let me know if any additional information would help you out. Thanks in advance!

2. 2009/03/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Rt click the folder > select Properties > Sharing tab > put check in "Make private ". Access granted using the login password.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/03/09
    nekorequest

When I go to Make Private, it just seems to make it available on just that system, our server. I was hoping to make it available from the main server, but to password-prompt us when we try to access it, like from the boss' computer.

5. 2009/03/09
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

You need to have an account on the server with the same user name as the computer from where you are trying to access your folder. Use different passwords on both the computers if you don't want anyone else to access the files [more secure but more work. Of course if your password on server is 123456 then...].

Login to your server as Administrator.
    Create the folder that you want to make Private [very loose term but fits here]

My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View. Uncheck "Use Simple file sharing (Recommended) ". Apply->ok.

This would most probably break your existing shares, but we would come to that later.

Now goto your private folder. Right Click->Properties->Sharing->Share this folder. Give your share a name. Click permissions.Add->Advanced->Find Now->Select the user name to which you wish to grant access->Ok->Ok, Now Define permissions for the user. While you are at it, Click Everyone & remove ALL permissions but do NOT remove the account. Click Apply->Ok.

Now we come to meat of the solution. Select Security tab. Add->Advanced->Find Now->Select the user name to which you wish to grant access->Ok->Ok. Grant the appropriate permission to the user. Click Advanced->Select user from the list->Check Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here..... Click Yes & Ok. Again select Add->Advanced->Find Now->Network->Ok->Ok. Again select Advanced & repeat the above procedure. Press Apply & ok when done.

Now try to access the share from the other computer.

If your other shares are broken, go to Sharing & Security tab for each of the shares & add Network user to both of them defining proper permissions.

Good luck.

6. 2009/03/09
    nekorequest

Thanks, I'll give this a try!