1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Can I Make A Disc (DVD/CD) From a Recovery Image?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Chris, 2019/07/31.

1. 2019/07/31
    Chris

Chris Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was driving and saw a yard sale that was over. Has a bunch of things at the curb for garbage. In the garbage can was a computer, monitor and keyboard.
    I took it home and found the DVD/RW drive was bad. I replaced it with one I had laying around. Since I didn't know the password, I took the drive out, put it in another computer and cleaned it up (pics, docs, music).
    Since I don't want to ask how to get into the users so I can delete them, make one and sell the computer, I'll ask,
    The drive has the OS, on another partition it has a recovery image. Can I make a DVD/CD off the image on the other partition? How?
    That way I can reinstall the OS and I can create a user and be able to have a working computer.

Thank you, Chris

P.S. I tried to delete the user but it didn't work without the password.

2. 2019/07/31
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Chris. What is the make and model of the computer in question and what Operating System do you want to install on it?

There is no point trying to create a Windows installation disk from an old recovery image. You should just boot from a Windows DVD/USB drive that has the Windows install media on it and reinstall Windows from scratch.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2019/08/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If it is a name brand computer, boot up to the BIOS boot menu. There may be an option there to reset the computer using the factory image.

5. 2019/08/02
    Chris

It's an Inspiron 530 Desktop. It has Vista on it now. I tried to install with a disc (don't have Windows Disc) but it wanted the password before it would install.
    I tried other instructions of how to delete/create a user but all wanted password, even when instructions said it wouldn't be needed.
    Chris.

Last edited: 2019/08/02
  6. 2019/08/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Have you got another empty HDD?
    If you just want to get it going - just saying.
    I'm assuming it's not a BIOS password required.

7. 2019/08/05
    Evan Omo

Do you want to upgrade the computer to Windows 7 or stick with Vista? Keep in mind that even if you do reinstall Windows Vista, that Operating System is no longer supported by Microsoft so the computer will be vulnerable to malware and other security threats.

8. 2019/08/05
    Chris

What I want to do is sell it. I can get $150 here for it. In stead of throwing it away, I'll put it on craigslist.
    I know it's not supported, I just want to get it up and running with windows.
    I have another drive with a nonstandard (did't want to name it in a windows forum) OS that I use hooked up to my TV as a media/music device.
    I want to put the original HD back in, with a user account I can get into it. Right now, the apartment I live in doesn't have the internet. I have to go back and forth trying stuff.

9. 2019/08/06
    Evan Omo

I would just download a Windows 7 ISO and burn it to a DVD and then use that DVD to reinstall a non activated version of Windows 7 and then sell it that way.

10. 2019/08/18
    Chris

If I did that, I'd sell it and have the person not be able to use the computer very soon. That wouldn't be nice.

11. 2019/08/19
    Evan Omo

Well if you reinstalled Vista and activated it, then the computer would be open to malware infections as soon as you connected the computer to the Internet.

If you don't have a Vista DVD then you can download a Vista ISO and reinstall Windows Vista and activate it using the product key that the computer came with.

An alternative would be to buy a Windows 7 product key online and upgrade the computer to Windows 7 and activate it using the product key that you bought.

You can check eBay or some other online marketplaces to buy Windows 7 product keys for pretty cheap as Microsoft no longer sells them.