1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Can Exchange Server send notice when proces(ses) hang/fail?]

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by MOROZCO, 2007/01/24.

1. 2007/01/24
    MOROZCO

MOROZCO Inactive Thread Starter

As with all windows servers sometimes our exchange will stop pushing emails to users and they will have to either log off or hit send recieve to get their emials. A reboot of the server usually fixes this... my question is i believe this is caused by certian process not working or stoping to work.. is there anyway to have the server email out a warning to admin when the server encounters errors?

2. 2007/01/25
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

First a genric answer:

First, anything that you can monitor from the command line or via a script, can be used to generate an e-mail. In simple batch files, programs such as Blat allow you to email logs or generated files. Most scripting languages provide a facility for e-mailing.

Second, in general it tends to be easy to identify that something is there and working, than it is to determine that something is missing. In my experience, it is easy to set up a system to e-mail you with regular updates of a system status. What harder to track is when a system or monitor fail and the result is lack of messages. Therefore, if you start setting up monitoring reports by e-mail, learn to get suspicious of message absences!

More specific answer
    Have a look at this page on using scripts to manage services.

Then have a look at this page giving options for scripts that can be used to send e-mails.

3. to hide this advert.